Big Mayfly on the Yakima

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Entomology' started by Paul Huffman, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Epeorus is the bug. The adults dry off quickly causing the fish to feed mainly on the nymphs, which are burrower's. It hatches from june to around september. Most of the action I have seen has been in the L.C. :)

2. :thumb: Agreed with Roger re size, #8-10 would not be an Epeorus... I've seen Epeorus Grandis up to about a #12. Oh, and Epeorus are clingers, not burrowers, thus the wide flattened body and broad legs designed for clinging to rocks in current. Like a March Brown, they are often clear of their nymphal shucks prior to reaching the water's surface making buggy patterns like soft-hackles, bird's nests and flymphs a good ticket. I saw a fair number of Epeorus on the little Deschutes by Olympia in the past couple weeks and took fish on dries with a #12 yellow parachute adams - dries will get attention, at least from the coastal cutts in the little Deschutes.

Oh, speaking of the timing being weird for hatches... I was up around 3 Bridges on the Yak about a week ago and witnessed a baetis hatch.

3. My point is Epeorus look very big when PMDs and BWOs are flying, the Eporeus is a June hatch on the Yakima often to size #12. Ameletus is a March/April hatch. Could be a Green Drake, but I don't believe the Drunella Grandis Hatch is strong in the lower canyon as the water isn't well enough oxygenated.

Keith Willits
    Creekside Angling Co
    1308 4th Ave
    Seattle, WA 98101
    206/405/3474
    keith@creeksideangling.com

4. Point taken on the apparent size of a bug vs the actual size of a bug... it's like when fishing a creek that typically produces 6" cutts, you suddenly get an 10-incher and holler over to your buddy, "It must be 13 or 14 inches!" Er, that never happens to ME of course, just an example... uh... based on what my buddy Jeff does, ya, that's it!

Cheers

5. Hey now Jim-bo... watch what your sayin' now! :thumb:

-Jeff

6. Yes, I am also glad t received an option from Taxon, as well as a vote of confidence in my estimation of the size. I didn't catch one for a photo because I was afraid it would kick me silly. It was that big!

I found a picture of an Ameletus dun. And now I see that Ameletus = "brown dun". That could be the bug if it's not a brown drake. My book shows the brown drake to have the long thin abdomen I think I saw. But nobody's hatch chart for the Yakima has either one.

I saw PMDs, and Yellow Quills (Epeorus, or DreamFlyFishing's term yellow mays ), even a few BWOs. The guy across the river caught some nice fish on what he called an Epeorus emerger. The bug I didn't know was these big guys.

7. Just checked my streamside reference, Brown Drakes have three tails so that is out comparing with the pictured bug.

8. Every pictured bug has been identified. Unfortunately, the original poster did not have a photo or close-up description of the mayfly in question, which has lead to speculation.