Big Oregon Brookies

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by LCnSac, Jun 28, 2014.

1. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Seeing some teaser photos around with some monster brookies from unnamed lakes. It's been awhile but the pics look like Hosmer to me. I know they are in there but never caught them this time of year. Anyone know more and care to share? Headed up Sunday and would love to have a shot at those beautiful things.

Related, I've read ODFW is no longer planting Atlantics in Hosmer and the supply is down to almost nothing. That doesn't break my heart, but replacing them with raceway clones does.

2. GAT

GAT Active Member

If you figure it out... let me know :)

The only time I've caught the larger brookies was during the fall when they're aggressive. Otherwise, I've seen them cruising the channels and spent hours trying to fool them but never really succeeded.

In one way, it's a shame they gave up on the Atlantics... it was the salmon that made the lake a unique flyfishing only fishery. But the ODF&W had to stop planting the wild and crazy Atlantics because they kept trying to escape and one year, they must have found a lava tube to use to exit the lake and did.

They ended up going with a less wild and crazy strain of Atlantics and they didn't fight nearly as well as the original strain.

So, if they leave the fishery flyfishing only and manage it as a trophy trout fishery, that's fine with me. However, because they are on this "increased angling opportunity" kick -- which means harvesting the trout -- Hosmer will end up no different than any other planted lake except as flyfishing only.

Big woop.

Still... a beautiful lake.

3. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

The only time I've caught the larger brookies was during the fall when they're aggressive. Otherwise, I've seen them cruising the channels and spent hours trying to fool them but never really succeeded.

Ya…me too. We actually DO have a "secret" brookie lake here that virtually no one knows about, and we have maybe three weeks a year to fish it. Either they're not ready or the snows close it off some years. My largest is 23" though--some of the pics I've seen from Oregon they look like pike.

If ODFW manages Hosmer as a trophy fishery, that's one thing. Are they? I didn't see that. I know that's not a trend down here--actually the opposite.

I have a conspiracy theory about triploids. The official reason is that they won't breed with native stock or in the case of a tailwater, steelies, and they are supposed to grow faster (but they haven't down here) but I don't buy it. I think because they do not reproduce it simply gives CDFW and ODFW and WDFW (?) more control and as soon there will be virtually NO wild fish except in managed lakes or non managed like the D, then their power to control fish populations, licenses, and general recreation increases geometrically.

Having worked for CDFW as a volunteer I got in the belly of the beast politically and it's pretty self serving. These agencies get no outside money for trout, but a ton of money for salmon and steelhead from the Bureau, and that's where their interest will always be.

Anyway, here's a video you might want to watch closely. Honesty part of it looks like the Deschutes Channel to Crane but I don't think Crane has many brookies? Also, upper Hosmer?
    http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/flyfishing/3427-big-brook-trout-in-oregon.html

From the USFS, and please note the average length and weight ;-)

• Brook trout are an introduced fish species to Central Oregon and were first stocked in the early 1900's. They can be found in Allen Creek Reservoir, Crane Prairie Reservoir, Devils Lake, East Lake, Elk Lake, Hosmer Lake, Lava Lake (Big), Little Cultus Lake, Little Lava Lake, Sparks Lake, Three Creek Lake, Todd Lake, Wickiup Reservoir, Crooker River, headwaters of Deschutes River to Wickiup Reservoir, Fall River, and the Metolius River.
    • SIZE: The average length is 10-12" and the average weight is 5-6 lbs.
    • :confused:
    Update: I'm almost certain it's Hosmer. Check the satellite against the vid: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hosmer Lake/@43.9672661,-121.7813712,104m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x54b8a9a5ae201c1b:0x60b567da7125172f I think we all knew they are there, but catching for me has been problematic. Granted I didn't go into the same area as the guys were.

4. GAT

GAT Active Member

Well, if it is Hosmer it certainly doesn't look like anywhere I've fished it.

But there's places on the lake I've never gone -- I primarily fish the main lake -- so I suppose it's possible. It appears the guy is walking in to somewhere ... which would be odd for Hosmer... most everyone uses some manner of floating craft. Kind'a looks like a clear river, like Fall River, but I've never heard of big brookies in Fall.

There's a ton of creeks and small lakes around Bend that are local "secret spots" and my guess, it's one of those places.

Anyway, there are indeed very large brookies in Hosmer if the clip is in regards to Hosmer or not.

Why do they use such terrible music for the new flyfishing clips??? The music sucks!

5. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

If you look on the satellite, there's a trail right to the narrows, and I'll bet that's where they are. I'm too lazy to paddle up there, plus its gets too shallow in some spots. I just launch and pitch the tules and look for rises usually.

6. timlind

timlind Member

I've caught some nice ones in the channel on chironomids. You can drive back to the camp ground and put tube or toon in there. Saves kicking/rowing. Last year in the evening about this time of year, my buddy and I killed bows and brookies there. It was one fish after another. Unfortunately, never had a day like that there since

7. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

it's not Hosmer....have a pretty good idea though.

8. bakerite

bakerite Active Member

I had a friend tell me about that place a few years ago when camping in CO. It's one of those places that too many know about now and unbelievably you can keep those fish.

9. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Honestly, if there is such a lake (big brookies, little known) this conversation should find its way off the internet. Not trying to harsh your mellow, but you'll be happier alone :)

But I am certainly curious, so if you want to help me find this lake...I'll be watching.

10. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

There are plenty of Brook trout in Crane and some going to 6 pounds! Heres a pic of a double from last year on chiro's while Cranebow fishing the Cultus channel.
    WFF trip Crane prairie 015.jpg

The larger one is at least 17 inches long. I actually don't like catching them at Crane because it tells me the rainbow schools are not in the area and I move! Last year it was said to be one of the best years for brook trout at Crane. this spring just before memorial weekend I talked with a younger guy who was there just for the opener of the upper Deschutes to target the brooks in the small upper river between Crane and lava lake. He told me the year before his buddy and him took home some 50 or 100 pounds of brook trout fillets from the upper river. It usually opens later to protect the spawning native Cranebows that migrate up the river to spawn in early spring. If you want big Brookies I would go to cow meadows camp ground and fish the river above Crane for large brooks and cranebows as soon as it opens! If you want them in the lake go deep into the Cultus channel and throw small streamers to the banks and timber and strip fast, you also may be able to bank the boat and walk up the cultus river to target brooks! Deep in the cultus channel this spring I was catching rainbows - kokes - and brooks all in the same channel and place all on chiro's!

As far as I'm concerned kill them all! They don't belong and you would just be helping the spawning Cranebows and their smolts!!!

GOOD LUCK!

11. GAT

GAT Active Member

In the NW, I can't think of a fishery where you are not allowed to keep the brook trout. Afterall, those planted in this part of the country were planted specifically for harvest situations. The fish and game departments started planting them in the NW because the fish will live in high elevation lakes when rainbow will not. Plus, they reproduce like... well... brook trout.

Dump in a few and end up with thousands. Works well if you are attempting to create a harvest fishery.

So, considering the brookies are not native to the NW and hold no special place in my heart, I don't really care if someone knocks off the big ones or not.

12. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Up here now and it was very easy to find the locations. All river channels to Crane.

13. GAT

GAT Active Member

That's what it looked like to me.

So... how's fishing?

14. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Starting tonite. Will report

David Dalan and triploidjunkie like this.
  15. C'mon Gene, everyone knows fly fishing is about rock music and video recording your outings.

That song's going on 20 yrs old though.

16. Brandon4455

Brandon4455 Bobber Down!

Theres something special about that "lake" in the video. ;)

17. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Probably no reports this week. Took the express route off a bank and ended up with a dislocated shoulder and a 30 mile drive out to ER with one hand. Fun times but a good time to practice that left handed casting for next time ;-)

18. GAT

GAT Active Member

Oh for crying out loud !!!! I hope your fishing trip isn't ruined ... or your shoulder. May it heal fast.. Man, what a mega bummer!

FinLuver likes this.
  19. FinLuver

FinLuver Active Member

Those were some nice fish in that video!! :D