Big red chironomid action heating up!

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by troutpocket, Mar 16, 2014.

1. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

What a change from last weekend. Today the fish were all about chironomids, ignoring all other flies and presentations that worked last week. It’s been a mild week in the basin and the bugs are starting to move. From 11:30-2 it was bobber central and the bug they wanted was a #10 red body, white bead, silver rib thing that I got in a swap at some point. . . closest thing I had to match what I found in the first fish I pumped once the hatch was underway.

Earlier in the day before the midge party picked up, I was getting onsie-twosies on a simi seal leech and type 5 line. Covered lots of promising water but it was pretty quiet. The birds gave the first clue that something was about to change. At the peak of the hatch there were dozens of adult midges cracking out of their shucks within my field of view.

photo(2).JPG

Porter, GAT, Freeloader and 8 others like this.
  2. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Awwww! I was hoping to see a pic of a big red bloodworm, not a bobber!

TD likes this.
  3. troutpocket

Not my pics, but these look like what I found:
    RedChironomid_snip.JPG RedChironomid2.jpg

Irafly, Mark Kraniger and Lue Taylor like this.
  4. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

I keep staring at that indicator waiting for it to twitch/turn/dive whatever, it just needs to move!

5. Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

Now you see why a Snow Cone works in red gr8 pic

6. troutpocket

As a connoisseur of indicator takes, you would have liked yesterday. Everything from "subtle leans and wiggles" to "slow, deliberate descent", to "rip the rod out of the boat".

Irafly likes this.
  7. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

Try scrolling up and down fast.

wadin' boot, KevinLS, Porter and 2 others like this.
  8. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

I had very light wiggles on a trip out on Thursday. I really had to watch the indicator.

9. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Mike Ediger and troutpocket like this.
  10. troutpocket

Nice Mark! The only thing the bug I was using had that yours don't is a prominent silver rib. The c-mids I pumped yesterday had it.

11. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

12. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Excellent report and even though I was last out on Wednesday and Thursday I want out again.

13. GAT

GAT Active Member

[​IMG]

If you can sit and stare at the indicator in this photo for a half hour without getting bored.... you've mastered the technique of indicator fly fishing... :D

The number one midge emerger color that works for me is red. The second color that works best for me is a different shade of red.

14. Skyler Evans

Skyler Evans Active Member

Fixed it :cool:

15. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

The exact opposite actually. If you are sitting there that long not doing anything else and it is not dipping down, you are doing it all wrong and you have mastered nothing but staring at an orange dot and not getting bored, but you have not mastered indicator fly fishing.

GAT and chewydog like this.
  16. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

I agree with the red butt being a great pattern. I first learned about tying those over 30 years ago when a Canadian took mercy on me as a beginner while fishing Tunkwa.
    I always have some in my box with tan, gray, black, brown or olive bodies.

Here is a picture of a throat sample I posted last year.
    [​IMG]
    Gene (GAT) was able to blow it to get a better view of the red butt.
    [​IMG]
    I caught fish on each of these patterns during a day of fishing but you can tell the fish were extremely fond of the brown with a red butt. A few more fish and the red thread butt would have been gone.
    [​IMG]
    SF