Big Twin

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Donato, May 4, 2011.

1. Donato Member

Bothell WA
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    Aanyone fish big twin on the opner? I'd like to fish it for two days if the water isn't too cold still. Will wait a few more weeks to fish the Okanogon area lakes.
  2. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +236 / 0
    I'll be there next weekend, but haven't heard any reports from the opener.
  3. plugboots Member

Winthrop, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Easy fishing.
  4. Globetrouter1 Methow Fly Fishing Guide

Twisp, Wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    easy fishing, small fish, and it's gonna be dumping rain.
  5. Trout Master Active Member

No fish in Big twin, never has had good fishing
  6. Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Wenatchee, WA
    That's just not true. Big Twin fished really well six or seven years ago. It made those long business trips to Winthrop bearable.

It was also a great fishery before it became a selective lake.

Give it a few more years and there will be a lake missing. That will make the fishing real difficult.
  7. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +202 / 0
    VS - He got ya......

MB
  8. Trout Master Active Member

Vlad, you have been had!!!!!!!!11111111
  9. Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Wenatchee, WA
    Or maybe my standards are higher??
  10. Trout Master Active Member

really they are higher?
  11. Globetrouter1 Methow Fly Fishing Guide

Twisp, Wa
    Yeah, Big twins fun for the kids but really not any hogs mostly dinks.
  12. Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Wenatchee, WA
    Last couple of years....I have mostly caught 14 inch fish out of Twin.

Maybe you guys are doing better. I did enjoy the lake five or six years ago.

Last outing was not pretty. That is I was NOT catching fish and other people WERE.

I just gave away all my fishing secrets in a three part posting on my blog site. Good thing that there were so few that I could cover it.
  13. Trout Master Active Member

Big Twin fished well lasr year many fish in the 18 range, I fished probably 10 different weekends last year. The BEST years for me at big twin were in the early 90"s when true hogs roamed the waters, plus you had bgi cutts plus the bows. I'll find out next weekend how it is.
  14. Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Wenatchee, WA
    I suspect that I am really not that good of a fisherman.

I have been able to find lakes at peak production and keep switching around....so it makes me think I am a better fisherman. There are some benefits to being a professional Forester with all that training.
  15. plugboots Member

Winthrop, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Remember to keep your hooks sharp.
  16. rodwolfy New Member

Arlington, WA
    Big Twin was great in the late 90's. I was catching 30-40 fish in a day (late in the season), some of them were up to 26". They had Lahontans (SP?) that felt like you'd hooked a log at first, then i'd move. The farmers in the area knocked out the fishing there in the early 00's by draining down the water level significantly for irrigation in the summer. It killed off most of the big fish. They'd restock, but with all of the shallow areas dry (north side of the lake), there weren't nearly as many bugs in the water for the fish to eat. I was there maybe 2 1/2 years ago and we were catching 14" to 16" fish, but it wasn't anything like it used to be.

I remember being able to walk in the shallows before they drew down the water and site fish for trout. There was a back bay on the north end of Big Twin and another one about 5' deep on the north end of Little Twin.

It's a shame that the fishing went down so much there. I'm hoping that it comes back, but I'm not crossing my fingers for them to put the water level back to where it should be...
  17. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    The water level in Big Twin is an interesting study. I'm currently building (almost done) a cabin on Big Twin. Hope to have a dock in sometime this summer. Last year and the one before were really pretty good for me, with lots of 20+ fish days and fish to 20". These fish are nice healthy bows and fight well. Little Twin unfortunately got winter killed this year, and my neighbor told me of fish to 26" dead on shore. The Methow Valley Flyfishers put an aerator in Big Twin a couple years ago and that has really helped with winter survival. The loss of shallow breading grounds for insects has made the damsel fishing much less productive. I was talking to my other neighbor who had the blacksmith shop in Winthrop for years. He has lived on the lake for over 20 years. When on Big Twin, if you look at the shallow at the north end of the lake, there is an old barbed wire fence that goes under water. He said 25 years ago, that fenced dry land and cattle grazed there. After several years of increased snow in the mountains, the lake came up several feet. There are many theories about the lake level. They lined the irrigation ditches with concrete several years ago, and it is though the decreased percolation from the ditches had an effect. Moccasin Lake Ranch increased their irrigation a small amount, and some blame them. More wells in the area (like mine!) have also been blamed. The city of Twisp uses that aquifer for it''s water and received a several hundred thousand dollar grant to study it and recommend remedial action. My blacksmith neighbor is predicting that the lake will rise this year due to all the snow in the mountains, and when I was over a couple weeks ago the lake level had risen a foot in the previous week, so his view may have merit! Time will tell on this! Rick
  18. Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Wenatchee, WA
    Big Twin is the new El Lake. Hopefully, it will not meet the same fate.

I remember fishing both Big Twin and Little Twin in 1979 and they were much, much bigger lakes.

Two of the biggest fish I hooked and lost were at El Lake and Big Twin. It was after that I started sharpening all my hooks!!
  19. Trout Master Active Member

Ell lake did use to have the monster bows. But I can also rememeber aneas went it had the monster bow and browns . Big twin did thought produce well last year with many days of 40 + fish days, Lil twin also produced well in the spring the shallows are gone on the north but the south east shallows were awesome chasing big bows with emergers.
  20. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +202 / 0
    Emergers in the shallows, gotta love it. Much better than size 18 chronies.......