Big Upper Yakima Rainbow

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Bill Dodd, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Bill Dodd

Bill Dodd Bill's in a time out.

Here is a pic of a Upper Yakima Rainbow Caught & Released on 3-21-07.
    Caught by Guide Steve Joyce of Red's Flyshop.
    When I saw this pic I walked around the office for about three minutes and just kept saying over and over again " OH MY F***ING GOD "
    Nice BIG fish Steve.

Bill Dodd.

:)

Attached Files:

2. Jim Jones

Jim Jones flytosser

Nice fish! I would love to see the Yakima crank out more fish in that size range. Hopefully years of selective gear rules will eventually pay off and that size fish won't be such an anomaly.

Jim Jones

3. Charlie Riddle

Charlie Riddle New Member

NICE fish!

4. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

now THAT is a funny pic IMHO!
    joyce using the patented mitchell long arm!
    definately an impressive bow nonetheless!

5. Nice fish and what about the monster 'bows from the UC posted on the Evening Hatch website...Holy moly!

6. WT

WT Member

Nice fish.
    It's soooo cool when someone catches a big fish then puts it up on the internets and tells the whole world where he caught it. That way, eveyone who sees it can vector in on that exact spot and try to catch the hundreds of other fish that are just like the one in the picture.
    Its even more cool, if that were even possible, when someone posts a picture of a fish that some one else caught.
    Good stuff.
    WT

7. rockymountain_brown

rockymountain_brown Senore Member

Oh boy.
    Still a TOAD.
    RMB

8. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

Looks like some fish I'll be catching in Renton this June!!!

9. Jason Baker

Jason Baker Member

Dude, It's the Yakima. I think most people have heard a thing or two about it?????
    :confused:

10. Bill Dodd

Bill Dodd Bill's in a time out.

Thank you Jason. iagree
    But sometimes there is one NEG person out there.
    OH NO! I LET OUT A BIG SECRET ABOUT THE YAKIMA HAVING FISH!..OH NO!
    I figure it's ok to post a pic that was emailed to me by the person catching the fish.
    That and the fact it's on Red's website.

Bill Dodd.

11. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

i guess the perceived secret spot's value depends on the size of the person's experience and actual knowledge or "lack of" time on that water..... these reactions tell us more between the line then the actual "oh my goodness don't let the cat out of the bag" comments

12. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Or Deck, we can just sit back and admire one beautiful damn rainbow and not care who, when where or what. That is one pretty Washington rainbow. :beer2: Coach

13. WT

WT Member

You had me at "secret spot."
    All of you are right. Knee jerk reaction, posting w/out thinking et al. Maybe I should say the words out loud before I hit the 'submit' button.
    WT, proponent of posting whatever you want to post.

14. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Nice fish!!

Jim - how many years of selective gear rules do you think it would take?

Tight lines
    Curt

15. prosopium

prosopium Member

Think if this wasnt a catch and release fishery, this fish wouldnt be such big news cause they would be more numerous but being pc is more important right?:confused:

16. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

100 years and nutrient loading....rainbows of the yakima have 10 fold the lifespan of all other rainbows because the hatches are so shitty they have nothing but caddis to eat... As a survival mechanism they live 70-100 years to attain spawning size because the growing season is so short and lack of food so dire. I figured you would know this being a professional and all...

17. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

It's a nice fish for the river. And I also have taken nice fish out of the upper Yak. But I don't talk about them or show pictures of them. Too many bad comments about what is caught and where it was caught at.

We should all be proud of what we catch and to hell with anybody that doesn't like the way that it was done. It just torques my ass the way other people judge what was done even when they weren't there.

I've spoken my piece, so there.

Jim

18. Jim Jones

Jim Jones flytosser

That's a good question. I have sensed that the average fish size on the Yakima is going up. Does anybody else get that sense?

I know there is still a fair amount of poaching going on in that stretch of water. So, as in all of our streams, enforcement of the regs is an issue.

I am sure you fisheries guys could school us on nutrient base as Zen mentioned. Does the Yakima have the necessary bio-mass to support older, larger fish?

Does the ever changing flows during irrigation season hinder bug life? Especially during the big run up in the summer and the draw down in the fall? Are there negative effects of local agriculture, beyond irrigation, that prevent there from being more bugs?

Does the success rate of spawning salmon reaching the areas above Roza Dam create more high protien food sources for the trout? Would the Yakama Nations desire to add additional hatchery salmon help or hinder the life span of the trout?

What are the negative effects of all the cheap beer, poured or pissed, into the river by CWU students? Not to mention all of the coconut scented sun tan lotion. ;)

Curt - I know you are more qualified than I to answer your own question and that there are many more issues surrounding a given fishery than harvest. So I'll ask you, what do YOU think is the reason that we don't see more fish in the 20" range on the Yakima?

Jim Jones

19. ewhitaker75

ewhitaker75 Member

20. creekx

creekx spent spinner

No doubt, I'd estimate that fish at about 20", an impressive specimen anyway you look at it.