Biggest fear while out fishing?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Andrew Kirkland, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Trent

Trent Ugly member

You don't need "heat" for bigfoot. I read this book once, back in high school, about "creature" sightings, bigfoot, yeti, and others. One story was by this hunter who was in the woods and ran into a bigfoot. He said he gave the thing a can of chew and all was good:p

2. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

Bigfoot. :rofl:

Keith

3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Bigfoot is on the lifeling search for Buck...you know, in all his free-ness wearing his hippers. With Buck not able to make it to the Hoh next weekend, we should all be bigfoot safe!

4. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Or to clarify a little further for me.... not being able to wade a stream anymore.

5. Mike Wilson

Mike Wilson Yakbowbw

Media:
    Like I said earlier, I too am afraid of the dark.

6. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

All joking aside, I think Coach's reply stated what concerns me most when fishing: falling into really cold (less than 50 F) water and drowning as a result of cold water shock. My muscles would probably cramp up right away, limiting my ability to save myself.
    When I used to surf here in Wa, I would start wearing gloves when the temps got down below about 53 or 54 F.
    40 degree F water can easily kill you.

7. Paul Voelker

Paul Voelker Member

Media:
    Sometimes when I'm way up in the mountains alone I get the feeling that I am being watched by something or someone which freaks me out especially when you can't hear over the roar of the water.

Rattlesnakes would be a close second; last year I ran into 3 and almost stepped on one of them. I didn't expect to see a rattler on a rock right next to the water!

Getting hurt and having to spend the night(s) alone in the wilderness without any protection scares me too.

8. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Media:
    This last summer when I was guiding in California I had one of the worst experiences of my life. I was driving down the Klamath behind two other vehicles headed towards the Trinity. It was midmorning on my day off. As I came around the bend on the upriver side of the Orleans bridge I saw, laying in the other lane of the road, a 20ish year old indian kid. I slowed down and pulled over. There were two other indians there, a boy and a girl about the same age. The boy was screaming and crying and the girl was just crying.

That kid was dead. Finding a dead person completely changes your day. I went from carefree and happy without a care in the world to checking vitals and starting CPR on a kid with destroyed teeth, and a blood trail 60 feet long running down HWY 96. It made me question myself, and my ability to actually perform "lifesaving CPR" because I knew he was dead already. After a couple of minutes with zero vitals and feeling how cold the kid was, and since nobody else was going for help and folks were just slowing down and driving by without asking if they could help or anything I ran to my truck and drove to 200 yards into town. Once there I told the gas station what was going on and asked them to call 911. Then I went back and covered up the kid and waited for the fire department and police to arrive.

I felt bad for that kid. He was having a great time until he fell off of the upper superstructure and landed on the road. Those kids had been drinking and doing 20 year old activities to celebrate some tribal holiday. It was a sad day. His uncle, Mom, and several of his relatives showed up while I was still there and I felt bad. Really bad. I also felt helpless, wishing I could have done more.

Honestly my death doesn't scare me as much as being out and having my family, or a friend pass from an accident, or health issue in front of me. That, or reliving the Orleans bridge incident are my greatest fears while out fishing. Those experiences never go away. I can still remember how that kids blood tasted (my mouth shield was in the drift boat at the ranch so what else could I do). I will never forget it, and I never want to go through it again.

9. Trent

Trent Ugly member

10. Mike Wilson

Mike Wilson Yakbowbw

Media:
    Like I said earlier, Ghost's!!!!!

11. thewaker

thewaker Tight line takes ain't no fakes!!

Media:
    Jeremy,

Sad story but a great testament to your personality.Hopefully it inspires people to do the right thing when they are faced with a similar scene.

The world needs more good Samaritans like you. I am constantly amazed at the callous nature of some people who see an accident or someone in a real emergency and do nothing.People are like, "What can I do?" Get out of your damn car and help for crying out loud! It's a human being not a dog or a cat.Actually, many would probably stop for a dog or cat more than a person and that is twisted in itself.

Many have lost site of the Golden Rule for sure

Come on people people now, smile on your brother, every body get together and love one
    another right now!!

Mark