Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Bikini baristas spotted at Dry Falls...

4K views 35 replies 18 participants last post by  DaleD 
#1 ·
Now that I have the guy's attention, here's my Dry Falls report.

For three lovely warm spring days we plied the waters in search of the elusive Dry Falls trout. They come in three basic flavors, Rainbow, Brown, and Tiger. Yours truly caught two of the above. Not much for all that fishing but it made them more memorable. The first was a nice 16/18 inch Brown on a green chironomid that had a second red dropper attached. Taken in about 15 feet of water, beautiful deep colors and spots.
Numero dos, a fat and sassy Rainbow taken on, of all things, a parachete Adams, size 14. Whooda thunk it? But they were slurping rather loudly against that shear rock wall on the north side of the lake in the shade and I decided "what the .....k". Anyhoo, I nailed his ass and reeled him in with Old Man cussing and bitching off to my left.
Each fish seems clearly imprinted in my memory, not an easy thing these days. Fewer fish caught seems to allow savoring each one a little more. Next time to hell with memories, I want sore arms from hauling in lots of hogs.

Some quick awards to bestow on those there...

Most ardent fisher...Backyard
Most succesful fisher...Backyard (duh)
Best Pot Luck Cook...Bart (deep fried catfish)
Loudest snoring camper...Ron
Cutest fisher...Jessica
Most daring vehicle...Mulligan (red Integra)
Most mellow fisher...Bhudda
Newest member...Damselmedic (welcome)
Most often requested missing member...Bob Lawless
Latest arriver...Sparse
Most obnoxious member........is anyone even wondering?
Most unique firewood...Gareth (is she talking to you yet?)

Roper,

Life goes on, enjoy it...

See less See more
#4 ·
I haven't clicked on another subject line that fast yet!
I have so isolated myself and need to break out and HEAD EAST! What with the inlaws in Yakima and the Cousins in Spokane and the Uncle and Aunt in North Idaho (Bonners) I realy gotta go!
So thanks for the report I will posting my own soon I hope!

darrin ><>

"Thanks to people who focuse on the really inportant things in life, there is no shortage of fly rods"

#5 ·
Well, sorry I missed it. I was somewhat close by, but didn't make it. Anyway, Roper, when is the Highland fling, I'm all over that like white on rice. I will be taking off a couple days too, lots of lakes I need to visit up there. YT

:smokin

#7 ·
What a great weekend. Tightlines, Flydreamin and I stopped by Rocky Ford on the way out there... dont tell anyone, but we heard there are big fish there;-)
I quickly fell in a sinkhole without my waders then dropped my camera in the creek. So muddy and wet and without any proof, we all caught 2 fish each in about an hour. Nice big RF fish, fought like my wet shoes would have.
I want to dispute the most productive fisher award, Tightlines and his olive bugger slayed fish all day, both days. Its hard to be happy for the guy when I was using the same bugger and only hooked 2 fish on it, while he hooked dozens of them.
Losing fish at night was the best. Total fish hooked, played and lost on my big night pattern: 14. Total fish landed all weekend: 8
Smallest fish - 17 inches.
Reverse those numbers and that would have made my weekend even better.
It was really great to meet all of you finally. Lets do it again sometime.

Andy

#8 ·
Sweet weekend!
I'm kinda diggin the lake thing;)
Weather was perfect, fishing was great... the only thing that sucked about the whole weekend was the lack of sleep. To bed @ 3a both evenings makes for a LONG spooky ride home Sunday. Thank god for those grooved highways. Saturday night was good to go... much more mellow than the OP, but was just what the Doc ordered... especially when Team Taco (aka Tyler & Brenden) showed with their traveling comedy show. Good times around the fire.

A couple added awards:
Best handlined 18" Tiger: Backyard (dude that was tits)
Shortest appearance: Sak
Entertainment Award: Team Taco... er Los Banditos... Or Dos Chimichangas
Broken Camera award: Andy
Best Pesto: Bhudda
Coolest Cat award: Roper
Firestarter Award: Specieshunter (again)
Drunk of the weekend: Old Man (or was that just him?)
:+
Team Award: Leaky and his wife (both pulled hawgs)

Anyways...cool pics to come on Thursday. I'll fish with any of you fellas, anytime. Good meeting the ones I hadn't met!

~B

:beer2

#10 ·
Roper you have my full attention especially since I saw them...WOW can they make'em!!!!! AHHHHHH...those bikini baristas were the best!!! So was the experience on my first outing. I had a blast meeting a lot of people that I have wanted to meet for quite some time. Finally putting faces to internet names. I probably spent most of my fishing time near Backyard, Roper, Tightlines and Andy and his crew. Arrived to camp on Friday feeling a little awkward having not met anyone but the following people helped ease the nerves as I met Bhudda, Backyard, Bart, Oldman, Hikepat and Ron. Than onto the lake where fishing with Backyard and Roper was a good time.

Saturday I think I met those baristas again at the launch and it gave me some good karma for a decent day on the water. Than meeting Sparse and Aplinetrout that night and staying up til 3am around the fire. I mostly listened because these guys have some funny stuff and are very interesting to listen to. They can attest to that as I said very little. Well I have some awards of my own there Sir Roper:

Best fish retrieve...(Tie) Backyard and Tightlines
Most curse words...Oldman
Most Organized camper...Roper
Most interesting to listen to...(tie) Sparse and Alpinetrout
Earliest to bed...Roper and Oldman (I think for different reasons) and to clarify not together at least I think.....}(
Best drag setting....dude(non WFF) in corner of bay with his drag set all the way.
Funniest quote...I don’t like to talk on the lake because there are a thousand ears out here
Best Big Fish Stocker...Backyard
Most daring act on water...Andy standing on his pontoon boat
Best new fishing word...Taco'd......thanks Brian

With all that said and done I had a good time on the water watching Backyard with his stocking on huge trout, night fishing with Chris, Roper with giving me the HARD TIME EYE for the NEW GUY routine…(jk Roper), Oldman talking to himself, but I am a guy of few words (more reserved if you will) until I totally fit in with a crowd or group of new people. I can say after meeting everyone I can now emerge from my shell like a Dry Falls snail and if you read Sparse new article you know they don't move too fast.

I’d fish with anybody, anytime, anywhere. Thanks for the experience and will look forward to the next trip.Until next time
:smokin :thumb :beer2

#11 ·
Hey, I am just NOT a lake angler, plain and simple. Much love to those that stand on pontoon boats, kick around with fins late at night and inch by inch line twitches. I will take my award with pride! Perhaps a "River Fling" is in order, but that is another post, another day. I had "other" fish to fry and let me tell you what, at midnight I was NOT kicking around a lake doing a slow twitch.....okay I was doing a slow twitch, just not in Dry Falls! Just glad I got outta there before Sparse showed up! Glad ya'll had a good time and Old Man, you still crack me up!

SAK
Xstream

#13 ·
>Earliest to bed...Roper and Oldman Jim (I think for
>different reasons)

Just to make it perfectly clear, DIFFERENT BEDS! :eek

Jarrod, glad to have met and fished with you. Hope to see you at the Highland Fling.

Roper,

Life goes on, enjoy it...

#15 ·
What a gorgeous weekend!
We got over before noon on friday and set up our camp. :smokin Got to the lake and put in about 1. Nice to meet Irafly and his wife and lab as we wedged into a parking spot;)

The wind was non existant as we paddled around, draggin' buggers, watching a couple landed on chronies. When we got over to the north point where the sheer cliffs drop right into the water, things started looking up for us, landing 7 between us. All nice, strong Rainbows from 16 to 20inches

Hooked up with tightline, flydreamin', and Andy a bit later and enjoyed a cool beverage together.
Beth and I quit around 7;30 or so just in time to meet backyard just coming out for his nighttime slayfest. It was nice to meet Roper at the launch as he prepared for his evening asault.
It was a great day.
:thumb

Saturday was an even warmer day and our first thought was to maybe go try Lenore......WRONG......After looking at the mob in the north end I lost my taste for that. Headed back to DryFalls for the noon bite. Ran into Bart at the camp (hows your ankle?) and also ran over a marker post for good measure.
Started fishing and darn near bumped into buddah and roper. Heard Jim but never saw him. It was awhile till I got into em but my partner was hittin' em pretty hard. Watched tightline and backyard just beating them up in the shallows. We cruised back over to the cliffs and found Hikepat snoozing in the shade.
Just another absolutely beautiful day. Nice and warm. No wind. We fished till about seven and headed in. I think Beth ended up with 5 or 6 and me with 4 again. Not fast and furious by any stretch, but damn nice fish
Got to meet Jessica and a few others for the first time in camp that night...Who was the guy with the chair?.... He was hillarious....Anyway we both had a great time and enjoyed meeting everyone we hadn't met yet......
LeakyTiki
pictures soon

#16 ·
How in the heck could anybody miss not seeing me. When I was talking to your partner out on the lake you looked right at me. And I don't think that I'm invisible(just a tad to big for that). And at the go around I was the one eating all your pork. And no,sleeping with Roper is not my bag.

But like I said it was fun but just a bit too far for me to come. But like SAK said a river fling would be just the ticket and I would be all up for that. Just as long as the drive there isn't over 250 miles from my home.

Jim

#17 ·
The fishing was slow but most caught some fish. The only one who did not that I know of was Jim, but he needs to have more time with the line in the water to catch anything. Every time I saw him, his boat was on the bank tying on flies or he was in camp. I never saw him get his fly wet.
Jim you have to get the fly wet to catch fish.

The company was good, the beer was cold and the sun out all weekend without being to hot. What more can you ask for.
For those who did not show up you missed a good time.
Had a lot of fun talking to the people who did show up and got a couple new tying tips. Forgot to get back to Oldman Jim to have him show me how to do weave flies maybe some other time. I was to busy fishing.
Fishing for me was slow with only one fish to hand fishing in the daylight with over 10 hours Saturday and about 2 hours on Friday, on the water. The after dark fishing made the trip all worth while with 4 to hand and many more lost. The only trouble was coming in after dark and my flashlight was not working well. Its a good thing the square lines of the outhouse show up so well at night there, otherwise the launch would have been hard to find in the dark.
For those who have never made one of these group outings they are alot of fun. While I would not want to fish with such large groups all the time, once in awhile they are alot of fun. Beside its not much diffrent then fishing with the crowds at many other lakes, but in this case you know many of them out there alittle.
I can not wait to see some photos from the trip when you guys and gals that went post them. Seems like I do not take many photos now days when fishing. To busy fishing I guess.
Look forward to more such trips down the road.
Now I need to get back to sleep. Did I say sleep I mean work. Funny how I mix those to up all the time.

#20 ·
<How in the heck could anybody miss not seeing me. When I <was talking to your partner out on the lake you looked <right at me. And I don't think that I'm invisible(just a <tad to big for that). And at the go around I was the one <eating all your pork

Oh, I saw you in camp allright Jim.:+ I just missed ya on the water. You were hard to miss at the camp,burning up all those chairs and stuff

good times,
David

#21 ·
My flies were wet.But my dries kept sinking and my wets were floating. I even put on a humpy and it still sank. And for tying on flies,Have you ever seen me up close trying to tie on a fly. My hands shake so bad that I have to put them in my lap to keep them still and then I use the smallest flies and can't get the leader thru the eye with all that shaking going on. If it wasn't so funny I'd be crying about it. That's what takes me so long to get a fly on my line. But I don't quit. I keep at it until I get it on and some times it takes a while..

Jim

#22 ·
I had a great time. It was Marc and I's first trip with the group. Good introduction. A funny ass group of people. A little bummed I dumped my ass in the back of the car so early. A little bit of Bart's Jim Beam and what I think was Bhudda's stuff put me under pretty good.

Much thanks to Tight Line for the ride up to the lake for night fishing. Good guy, second only to Roper who didn't beat me over the head with his rod tube after I delivered only 75% back to him. I deserved a lickin'

Like jabseattle, Marc and I should be more ready to talk shit with the rest on the next trip.

#24 ·
As with Mulligan, I had a great time with all you characters. Very welcoming group. It was my first time at Dry Falls since my uncle first took me flyfishing there in a canoe when i was 12 so it was nice to see it again. Looking forward to the next outting. If any of you guys are looking for a fishing partner on the Yak anytime I go to school at CWU so let me know. Like Mulligan said, I'm sure we'll be more apt to BSing next time around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.