Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Bikini baristas spotted at Dry Falls...

4K views 35 replies 18 participants last post by  DaleD 
#1 ·
Now that I have the guy's attention, here's my Dry Falls report.

For three lovely warm spring days we plied the waters in search of the elusive Dry Falls trout. They come in three basic flavors, Rainbow, Brown, and Tiger. Yours truly caught two of the above. Not much for all that fishing but it made them more memorable. The first was a nice 16/18 inch Brown on a green chironomid that had a second red dropper attached. Taken in about 15 feet of water, beautiful deep colors and spots.
Numero dos, a fat and sassy Rainbow taken on, of all things, a parachete Adams, size 14. Whooda thunk it? But they were slurping rather loudly against that shear rock wall on the north side of the lake in the shade and I decided "what the .....k". Anyhoo, I nailed his ass and reeled him in with Old Man cussing and bitching off to my left.
Each fish seems clearly imprinted in my memory, not an easy thing these days. Fewer fish caught seems to allow savoring each one a little more. Next time to hell with memories, I want sore arms from hauling in lots of hogs.

Some quick awards to bestow on those there...

Most ardent fisher...Backyard
Most succesful fisher...Backyard (duh)
Best Pot Luck Cook...Bart (deep fried catfish)
Loudest snoring camper...Ron
Cutest fisher...Jessica
Most daring vehicle...Mulligan (red Integra)
Most mellow fisher...Bhudda
Newest member...Damselmedic (welcome)
Most often requested missing member...Bob Lawless
Latest arriver...Sparse
Most obnoxious member........is anyone even wondering?
Most unique firewood...Gareth (is she talking to you yet?)

Roper,

Life goes on, enjoy it...

See less See more
#27 ·
Well,.... the weather was great........., fishin sucked! caught 1 fish all weekend, but didnt put alot of time in either, still had a great time. new faces- Ron,Mulligan, Marc, Jarrod, Beth, and i think Scott or Ken?, some others im sure:dunno dont remember. ROPER_I HAVE YOUR FINS! Jessica thanks you alot for them, and everyones company including Jim! ya ol'bastardo:p :+ :p . anyone up for hitting deep lake when it opens? Brian? atleast we dont have to walk in,:smokin . peez and rice bhudda

#28 ·
hahaha yeah nice title... stop telling everyone my million dollar idea!

Dry falls was worth the haul over, always nice to see the old familiar faces as well as meeting some new ones.

My legs are still sore from this trip, kicking around that lake from dawn till dark a couple days in a row, as well as taking an excursion out into the desert with sparse and alpinetrout on sunday which included a desert hike, 20 year old ladders down cliffs, and hauling back water soaked waders, good times for sure.

Some of the cooler things...

- Watching Jabs dial in that lake and make it his bitch.
- Laughing at the guy with the drag set to 0
- Listening to some of sparses stories
- Watching the irishman and jim dissing on each other.
- Catching a brown as big as my arm
- Fishing with roper
- Seeing brians injured baitfish retrieve
- Handline'n a tiger trout

Fun stuff as usual... can't wait till the highland fling. Where the lakes don't close at ten, and there aren't 80 people on the lakes at one time.

#32 ·
Yup, just go straight thru those gates you had to take a left at, when the road turned to gravel, to head to dry falls. hey thanks for the heads up on the hatch at RFC. did you guys end up fishing anymore after that. we stayed awhile, but Jess was having trouble with the wind knots and such. it takes a setting like that, with reeds and marshy stuff, bushes etc. and you will never let that backcast drop again! she had fun seeing all the bows so close up. i tried to explain to her the "Circus show" so to speak that everyone says about the place, i like it, i dont shun the Ford like alot of folks as i still get a tickle walking up to the first section and just watching the fish cruise by. saw lots of snakes- are they garder snakes?

"Dont let your dreams be dreams" -Jack Johnson

#35 ·
We headed back to Seattle after we saw you. Were the callibaetis coming off? The ones we were seeing were pretty damn big. We were just about to leave when we started seeing them so only through a couple dry flies, to no avail. The fish were looking up though. I agree on the Ford. I had a great time standing on a rock and finding new ways to fish with a scud. It was amazing how many different presentations of a scud those fish were giving a look to. I noticed that if a fish darted at the scud right away, others would sometimes compete. It seemed like they didn't care what it was or why they were going at it...just wanted to "win". I think Rocky Ford is one of the best places in the state to take a beginner, not only to catch fish but to learn. I didn't think you could learn much from it before this weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.