Bing's Hopper (modified) SBS

Discussion in 'Fly Tying Step by Step' started by ScottP, Aug 12, 2014.

1. ScottP

ScottP Active Member

[​IMG]

Bing Lemke was a proponent of extended body flies - he created his hoppers with what he called "art foam" (can't remember what was available back in the 60's, I'm guessing open-cell) wrapped around a piece of monofilament. For me, Carnage-style bodies are a lot easier to tie and float great, so that's what I used here; everything else is pretty much true to the original. The pronghorn hair happened to be sitting right in front of me so I used it on the head - spins great, but it's a bit stiff and I had some issues winding the hackle through it; next time it'll either be deer or caribou. Another one from Jack Dennis' Western Trout Fly Tying Manual (Vol 2).

hook - Mustad 3906B #8
    thread - UTC 140 & 70 tan
    abdomen - 2mm foam tan (Carnage style)
    underwing - deer hair bleached
    wing - mottled turkey
    head - pronghorn hair spun/clipped
    hackle - ginger

(for those who have seen this part before, please feel free to skip forward)

mount needle in vise, start thread and tie down a strip of Swiss Straw

[​IMG]

wrap SS along the needle; coat with a little Super Glue then trim off end and thread

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

brush on a little more Super Glue, then start wrapping a tapered strip of foam (adjust tension to create the desired taper); slide off needle and trim away excess underbody

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

poke the body with a needle where you want the hook placed, add a drop of Super Glue on the back end of the (debarbed) hook, then slide it on

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

start thread, brush on a little more Super Glue and wrap body forward; tie off and trim tag end (not shown)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

clean, stack, measure a clump of deer hair; tie in

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

separate 2 sections of turkey (sprayed with fixative); you want them gap width

[​IMG]

tie in on either side, extending a bit past the back of the body and trim butts; brush a bit of Super Glue (last time, promise) at the tie-in

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

clean, trim a clump of pronghorn; 2 soft loops and let it spin

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

repeat, and tie off

[​IMG]

establish the underside with a razor blade

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

trim head to shape

[​IMG]

re-start thread (UTC 70 this time) and tie in hackle (I don't tie it in before the pronghorn, because I never guess the hackle size properly and usually end up it way too long)

[​IMG]

wrap hackle thru head, tie off at eye, half hitch x 2, SHHAN

[​IMG]

dorsal

[​IMG]

semi-ventral

[​IMG]

Regards,
    Scott

2. ScottP

ScottP Active Member

razor bladed the pronghorn off