Bird hunting bucket list.

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Roper, Nov 29, 2013.

1. The few magazines I get have finally got the better of me. Covey Run, Shooting Sportsman, and Grey's Sporting Journal have lured me into creating a bucket list. So, while I'm still sucking the teat of Boeing I'm going to put up some big bucks and fulfill my dream goal of the following. I want to hunt wild pheasants, sharptails, chukars, huns, and bobwhites before I retire and can't afford it. Montana, the Dakotas, and Georgia are calling. Yup, I'm gonna take a few trips and hit some lodges for guided hunts.

I can probably nail 3 of them in one trip to Highland Hills Ranch in Oregon. They have pheasants, huns, and chukars. All I have to do is throw down a couple of grand and hit them on the wing. What I'm looking for is some feedback about the Dakotas for wild pheasant and sharpies. Advice and references are welcome. Offers to join in this merry chase also considered...

Roper

Phil Fravel likes this.
  2. Dont really have a bucket list but anywhere with my Son, Dad and friends. But on the list would be to hunt with a dog some day

3. I love hunting North Dakota, you can do it on the cheap. Brush up on your door knocking skills and have a great time. South Dakota is all about money, it's harder to get farmers to let you hunt for free. There are lots of sharpies in North Dakota, Huns and chucker's we have in washington. I might be going to North Dakota in a week, I heard the crops are down!

4. I retire in 12 regular working days, Roper. C'mon down . . . I can show you chukars & huns, no bobs, but we could head a bit east for sharpies & many more pheasants (re: chukars, you DO know CPR, correct?).

5. Riverview Plantation for Georgia quail, I did some work for them when I was with the feds. They run a quality operation, very traditional, good birds, good dogs. They are "Highland Hills" quality.

6. Great list Rick, I'm with you on wanting to hunt some wild pheasant. I might be up for a trip to Highland Hills.....I'd have to save up my allowance though. :eek:

7. Central Wa this morning.
    [​IMG]

8. I'm soooooo jealous. :D

9. Blake, your Springer is doing a great job for you. Chukar is a young mans sport, us old guys walk uphill slooooowly.:D

10. Congratulations... I'm green with envy!

11. Well done and excellent choice of gun (say's one CZ aficionado to another).

Blake Harmon likes this.
  12. I'd settle for some OJT from the forums franchise players.

13. John Kohnke is our local NAVHDA chapter president, and guides for HH. He was telling me that he usually has his Griffons point the birds, then sends one of his spaniels in to flush. Sounds like quite the show.

14. Roper-one thing about HH (I have never been but some of my hunting buddies tune up their dogs there) is that the birds are not wild. The way they manage the place makes the birds act sort of wild, but if you really want wild birds, we need to go to the Dakotas or let Blake guide us as he seems to have those wild birds dialed in. Maybe we could pay him to take us hunting! Rick

15. If you hunt the hills around HH, which they allow you to hunt, you'll be on wild birds.

16. Might want to wait until next year. We have had snow on the ground for a few weeks now and up to a foot more coming in the next few days. Highs later this week are around -10, lows to -20. That's without wind chill.

We have a lot of partridge, sharpies and of course pheasants. I didnt know there was such a thing as not wild bird hunting until just recently. Shooting released birds is crazy to me. Definitely not hunting. PM me if your looking for some areas to hunt in ND.

Don't overlook a cast and blast trip. Massive pike on flies in October, big bows and browns chasing streamers on the Missouri River below the big lake. We have had a lot of water the last few years. The potholes are full and the waterfowl hunting was awesome. October is a month I shouldn't have to work.

17. Thanks for the heads up Ndflyfisher. I'm going to pass on my North Dakota trip and chase some local birds the rest of the season. I couldn't agree more about paying to shoot birds, it's insane. Why bother.

Blake Harmon likes this.
  18. Great info guys, Thanks. The reason I consider paying to play is that I don't have a bird dog. Yeah, I have a dog that hunts with me and she will put birds up, but in no way does she point. At 13 years old it's a bit late to start...

I'm liking the idea of a multi-bird hunt in ND. Upland and waterfowl sounds great. Catching fish always works for me...

rankin76 likes this.
  19. Great thread!

Once knew a fellow hunter whose bucket list was take all the world's grouse species; last I heard he had all be two (requires a lot of travel).

I'm currently working on adding several new (to me) Washington waterfowl to my list. It is fun to target new species and learning more about those species needs and habits for successful DIY hunts.

Curt

constructeur likes this.
  20. We should talk. I spend a month out in the Dakotas every year. Didn't go this year as the bird numbers were dismal. You can hunt over my dogs and buy me dinner. We'll call it good.

You wouldn't like HH. Too plastic.