Bird hunting bucket list.

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Roper, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Thanks Marty, I'll keep that in mind, I might even buy you a drink too...:D Have you done any waterfowl yet this year?

2. martyg

martyg Active Member

None. Been busy working on the new ski cabin and prepping for some ski instructor stuff - and the dogs hate me for it!

11.22.13.JPG

3. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Casa "G"...lookin' good. The Baker property?

4. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    I just checked Riverview Plantation's costs, they've gotten a bit out of hand. I'll check with a friend in Georgia who has hunted other plantations and see if we can't find a better option. The issue with these commercial quail hunting operations is the quality of the birds they plant. I've watched some quail hunting shows and the birds can hardly fly 20 yards, that isn't fun. There is very little likelihood you can hunt wild birds since all of the quail properties are privately owned and incredibly expensive to hunt truly wild birds unless you are friends with the owner. I never hunted quail down there except on the Auburn University lands when in grad school. We also hunted woodcock which you might want to add to your bucket list. I did drive one of the vehicles for the sports on a private plantation one morning, which was quite an adventure. The dog work and handling was truly magical.

I'll get back to you if I can find a better option.

By the way, in traditional quail hunting only sxs guns of 20 ga or smaller were allowed, and you had to have class and decorum to hunt. Before he was President, LBJ and his party actually got thrown off a plantation in Georgia because they weren't behaving well. I got that from a man who worked the plantation and was there when it happened. That tells you something about the SOB.

5. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

'
    speaking of woodcock a local bird that can be interesting and challenging to hunt is snipe. A nice cross between waterfowl and upland hunting. Though with this cold snap they may have moved south though some birds may move back with warmer temperatures.

curt

6. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Snipe are a kick. We used to run into them while duck & goose hunting. Went 5 for 5 at one point, then it turned to junk and I went 5 for 20....

7. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    There went a box of shells...:p

8. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    Snipe shooting is harder than doves, great sport with 20 ga. There was very good snipe hunting on the Altamaha waterfowl management area in Georgia after duck season ended. Limit was 8 and if you could get a limit on a box of shells, you were the MAN!

Thinking about southern bird shooting, marsh hen (clapper rails) hunting was a real southern tradition, too. Hitting the birds was easy but pushing that boat across the salt marsh was a hoot.

9. ImperialStoutRunsThruMe

ImperialStoutRunsThruMe Member

I'd be up for meeting up with a few WFF folks for a ND hunting trip in 2014. Or a cast n blast.

Maybe we can work a trade with the ND hunter. I live 200 yds from the Deschutes River. Have raft, will row.

Roper, I have a pointing dog, a 5 yr old Llewellin setter. All I hunt him on is wild birds. I'd be glad to meet up and let you hunt over him.

10. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    ISRTM, thanks for the offer, I'm sitting down over the holiday and will be calendar and map checking. I'll post here when I get a plan drawn up.