Bivisibles, saddle hackle and rotary vises

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by zen leecher aka bill w, Apr 10, 2013.

1. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    Back when I first got a fly box (my dad's) it had some bivisibles in that he'd tied up. Over the years I've tried recreating his tie but without the same success.

I bought a rotary vise 5-6 years ago and have enjoyed the rotary function for winding dubbed bodies and ribbing.

A month or two ago I was doing some old flies and fixed on the Bivisible. I had some nice, smaller dry quality saddle hackles and was struck with the thought of using the rotary to hackle the fly.

Boy it sure does make tying those flies fast, and neat. One issue with it is it's possible to get the fly hackled too tight and might make it harder for a fish to "crush" the fly and get hooked. I tied some more up today and put less hackle on it. Now for the local wind to die down and try skating some Bivisibles during a chironomid (notice the full word) emergence.

2. Norm Frechette

Norm Frechette Googlemeister

Media:
    using the rotary function is a nice feature have but after way too many years of tying on a renzetti traveler i find i hardly use the rotary function any more.

3. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Same here. My primary tying vise is a rotary Dyna King but I don't use the function for wrapping material... I primarily use it to turn the fly in different positions to see if anything is catiwampus. At first I did use the rotary for ribbing, hackling and dubbing but guess I prefer wrapping by hand like I did during the Thompson A days.

4. zen leecher aka bill w

Media:
    I guess admitting to using the rotary function to wind saddle hackle bodies is about the same as saying I recently bought powerbait at Fred Meyers.

5. Norm Frechette

Media:
    using the rotary function is nothing to be ashamed of. i too use it but just not for everything i tie

:):)

6. zen leecher aka bill w

Media:
    That's one of the touted features on the Norvise of being able to tie flies fast. Norm Norlander probably uses his vise more than most and he does that "spin" when showing off his product.

I guess some people are really into the rotary feature and others might use it just a little. All different amounts of rotary usages the length of the spectrum. I borrowed a Norvise years ago and noticed it improved my carey specials on the backside wraps. The wraps weren't spaced evenly, some were tight and some were a tad spread out. Rotary allowed me to set the chenille "feed" and everything was evenly spaced from there. I wasn't all that thrilled with the Norvise as I had some issues securing the hook. The Renzetti is easier to clamp hooks in but slower in the rotary feature. My preference is the Renzetti.

7. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Pretty much :rolleyes:

Just kidding. If it works for you, that's great. When it comes to using the rotary function for hackling, I'm just too set in my ways... or lazy... maybe both.

8. Norm Frechette

Media:
    i like to tie at my own speed not norm norlanders speed. its what HE does and HE is very experienced at doing it.

i tie for myself and no one else.

its really all about tyers preference.

i have 2 travelers. the original 80's version and the new 2013 all black version.

9. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

As all experienced tiers know there are no rights and wrongs in fly tying. Often when I see someone using the rotary function of their vice to do more than look at the other side of their fly and even though I've seen it a thousand times, I often think "jeez that's neat, why don't I do that". Sure I've tried it and yes it works wonderfully well. All those wraps perfectly spaced or tightly packed all in just a few seconds. What's not to like? Yet every time I sit down and tie I don't do that.

Although they are inextricably linked I enjoy the process more than the results. I find that the slower approach allows more time to pursue ideas. Except for infrequent and unusual circumstances I take no pleasure in whipping out a dozen flies in a short period of time. Speed and efficiency have nothing to do with my tying preferences.

TC

Dave Evans, McNasty and GAT like this.
  10. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

I've had a Renzetti Traveler for 9 or 10 years and absolutely love it. I see no reason why I'd need anything else. While the rotary function is very nice, I rarely use it for actually wrapping things on flies besides palmered hackle and stranded materials like chenille, floss and yarn. I find its hard to make exacting wraps on flies when using the rotary function, I much prefer it wrapping it by hand. It is however extremely useful for viewing and adding parts to the fly from different angles. In that respect I couldn't imagine tying on a fixed vice.

Chris Johnson likes this.
  11. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Ditto. I have five rotary vises (some people collect reels, I collect vises) and an HMH. I only use the HMH for photos because it has pretty jaws :)

I doubt if I'll ever replace my Dyna-King Barracuda Jr. no matter what comes down the pike. It does everything I ever need in a vise ... once you clamp a hook in the jaws, that hook ain't going anywhere! I use the Renz as my traveling vise... just as the name indicates.

Untitled-1.jpg

12. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

I have been tying for about 50 years...and went over to the darkside of rotary vises just last year...a Norvise. I don't give a damn about speed, but I tie a lot of symmetrical flies, and I think I do a better, more uniform, job with the rotary feature. I love dubbing with the Norvise. Of course, half the attraction of using a Norvise is teaming it up with Norm's great retracting bobbin system.

The fish don't give a shit either way.

13. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Great, after I claimed I wouldn't be buying another vise, I just ordered one. However, I plan to use it primarily for larger patterns like those to imitate baitfish. Never say never.

14. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Back when I used to tie flies, I used a Norvise for a while. I tied up 100 Blood Worms for Aaron over at River Run Anglers. I was into doing the weave at the time and I had to make tapered bodies before I did the weave for the fly. It sure made it easier to do the flies.

But I have since quit tying up anything now. I usually just buy what I need or I have a few on this site that will tie me up a dozen at a time..

Was thinking of doing some more Bloodworms as when I used my last one here in Montana I had such a big hit it took it all. Maybe a few more to peak my interest again.

15. John Read

John Read New Member

Back when I first started tying flies 35 years ago my primary vise was a pair of pliers tightened with a rubber band ( a la Curtis Creek Manifesto). It worked great until I bought a Regal.
    I now tie only on my Renzetti. I don't always use the rotary function, but it's nice to have the option. I to use the rotary to get a good look at all sides of the fly.

Chris Johnson likes this.