Black bugs

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Entomology' started by Gary Knowels, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Found hundreds of these black bugs comine off a very large fountain/pool on UW's campus yesterday evening. I thought it was a little odd that there would be anything hatching from there, but who knows. Looked like size 14-16 black caddis to me, with long prominent antennas. Long horned sedge maybe? Oecetis?

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G

Attached Files:

2. Taxon

Taxon Moderator Staff Member

3. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Thanks Roger! I found it peculiar that they were coming off in big numbers out of Drumheller fountain which had had been entirely empty for several weeks in late spring and is just a 150 foot diameter, 8 foot deep concrete pool.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G

4. Taxon

Taxon Moderator Staff Member

Hi Gary-

Mystacides alafimbriatus are uni-voltine, which means their larval lifestage lasts approximately (11) months. I suspect that, either the ones (you saw hunderds of yesterday) were not in the pond when it was drained and cleaned this Spring, or that they the somehow found remaining water, perhaps in a sump.

The pupa crawls out of the water to emerge shortly after dawn, and in the waning hours of daylight, they dive beneath the surface in order to attach their eggs to some subsurface structure. It's my best guess that what appeared to be an emergence, was actually no-longer-gravid females returning to the surface, and flying off.

5. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Hey Gary
    Thanks for the thread.
    Lots of these Black Dancers in Lone. Taxon identified them for me also ;-)