Black Headed Rainbow

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Michael Van Alstyne, May 17, 2013.

1. Michael Van Alstyne New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    All,

I was at Lenice yesterday and was fishing with damsel nymphs in the SW corner of the lake. I came across an odd looking Rainbow with a very black head. It was just under 19" and was very aggressive and otherwise seemed healthy. Has anyone else ever come across something like this?

Sorry but I didn't bring a camera to get a picture.

There were also 2 American White Pelicans visiting the lake yesterday. WOW! those are huge.

Thanks
    Michael
  2. Evan Virnoche Guest

african rainbow trout
  3. Evan Virnoche Guest

correction african american rainbow trout. my aologies on not being politically correct the first time
    NWstonefly and triploidjunkie like this.
  4. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +370 / 0
    Black-headed rainbow? Isn't that a distant cousin of the pimply rainbow?
  5. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,261 / 0
    Browncuttybow
    Thomas Williams and David Dalan like this.
  6. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    Could have been the one and only bull trout that has caused the state to stop planting browns and tigers in Lenice.
  7. Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +236 / 0
    So what is the correct PC term for German Brown??

My mother hated Germans as she was held in slave labor camp for five years. Do we blame a fish for a country??
  8. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ur 100% right. Noe that we dont have policemen, firemen and cant say penmanship zince our governer passed that we must eradicate all these fish from the system. The only true equal oppurtunity species is the Rainbiw trout
  9. Kaiserman content

Ratings: +401 / 0
    Shoot the Pelicans!

They are eating all the fish fry in my favorite stream!! :mad:
  10. sroffe Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    Somewhat related, I caught a steelhead that 1/2 the head was black. I was told it was kind of like a birth mark thing. So, maybe that's all it was?
  11. Travis Bille Active Member

McKinleyville, CA
    Ratings: +360 / 0
    I saw a rainbow in 2008 in the San Juan river that had half a black head. I saw it again in 2011 when I went back to visit. So apparently it was thriving
  12. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Ratings: +387 / 16
    I'd like to hear more about this. I wondered why I put 30 fish to the net at lenice but not a single tiger.
  13. Smalma Active Member

Marysville, Washington
    Ratings: +653 / 0
    It is not all that uncommon to see a salmonids with half of its head being very dark in color (black) on heavily fished waters. I believe that phenomenon is caused by an injury (typically hook damage) to the fish in the region of its eye. That seems to interfere with its ability to adjust its coloration which for whatever reason results in that dark coloration.

Several times I was able to see that damage when the fish was captured.

Curt