Black is the new pink

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Pat Lat, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Hit up an MA11 beach looking for pinks today, threw on the pink comet like I have been the past few weeks and on the third cast this little hatchery blackmouth inhaled it and took off. It didn't roll around in the surf like the pinks Ive caught do. it headed for deep water taking me into the backing for a bit. When I got it to the beach I could see the fly was deep and it was bleeding pretty bad and since it was over 22 (barely) I took it home and prepared my first fly caught chinook for dinner.
    I definitely was not targeting blackmouth, whatever that really means, so it just goes to show that you really just have to put your time in and they will come eventually. Now I just need to catch a real King.

DSCN2729.JPG

2. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Sweet!!!!

3. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

What's the difference between a king and a blackmouth?

4. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Commonly the term blackmouth are immature "feeder" Chinook while king is used for mature adult fish in their last year of life that are beginning (or completing their spawning migration). It can get a bit more confusing on the ocean feeding grounds where there a mixture of sizes and maturity (some of the "blackmouth" can be older/larger than the mature "king").

Pat - congrats on a great beach catch which by the way is a mature Chinook -aka a "king". Though to be fair it would commonly called a Jack Chinook - a male fish that matured a year early. Besides the obvious difference in maturity (presences of maturing gonads) the blackmouth typically have purple hue to them with scales that are still loose and easily shed. The maturing Chinook have lost the purple hue of the blackmouth as they begin developing their spawning coloration (often taking on a slight bronze hue by this time of year hear in the Sound) and the scales have become embedded (the skin covering on each scale has shrunk resulting in "tight" scales).

Your fish should have been a male that was wonderful on the grill.

Curt

Pat Lat and Irafly like this.
  5. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Hmmmm? I tied up some pink comets a couple of weeks ago after Hans Weilenman posted a picture and directions of a similar fly on the tying forum. I wonder? It was called a "Crazy Comet."

6. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Nice one Pat, way to go !!!!

7. CLO

CLO Boats and cohos

Sweet is that Wulff line? Nice fish!!

8. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Great catch on the fly Pat! What time of day did you catch this jack Chinook?

9. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

10. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Very nice! Good work!

11. doublebluff

doublebluff Go Beavs

Well done. Thanks for the post.

12. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Yeah its the RW ambush line. Its a 235 grain 6wt line with the 14ft int poly leader. My 7wt shoots it like a rifle.
    I got that fish after showing up late (7am), stealing my buddys stripping basket off the beach, and walking up beside his buzz bombing ass and making a few casts. (all buzz bombers in this post will remain nameless to protect their ego)

CLO likes this.
  13. Patrick Allen

Patrick Allen Active Member

14. Gregg Lundgren

Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

Nice Jack nook! I'm still waiting for that first one on the fly. Nice work Pat!

15. John Weston

John Weston Member

Pat is your pole a slow or fast action? thanks. nice catch.
    Outlaw

16. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

Nice one, Pat. Must have been a hoot of a fight.
    Jack

17. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

it's a pretty fast ROD outlaw;) , Thanks guys and it was a pretty fun fight jack, Its about the same weight as some of the pinks I've been getting4-5 lbs, but it fought much harder.

18. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Hell yes!