Black & Olive Variegated Woolly

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by GAT, Mar 17, 2013.

1. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,697 / 0
    Over the years, I've caught the most trout in stillwaters with this particular Woolly Bugger. I try it first when fishing lakes I've never fished before. It is a favorite for John, Rocky and I.

John and I first discovered how well it worked at a private lake in Central Oregon that held huge trout. We did best primarily next to the shore vegetation so we thought that it might represent a dragonfly nymph... there were a lot of dragonflies at that lake.

However, we've since found it works when fished shallow or deep so we tossed out the dragonfly nymph theory. Evidently there is something about the color combination that the trout find edible.

John ties his a little differently and uses a grizzly hackle instead of black. I tie them in both fashions but the black hackle works better for me.... so, it's an option.

The Black & Olive Variegated Woolly:

IMG_1694.jpg

Hook: Daiichi 1250 (or similar) sizes 6-10
    Bead head: (optional) Gold
    Rib: Green wire
    Tail: Black dyed blood quill marabou
    Body: Variegated black and olive chenille
    Hackle: Black saddle or grizzly

It's a very basic pattern but the combination of colors is key. It doesn't, however, work worth a hook for warmwater species.
    jwg likes this.
  2. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +544 / 0
    Looks absolutely deadly, Gene. If you tied that with Halloween New Age chenille, it would be nearly identical to my favorite lake bugger, except a different color phase. The stuff I use is orange/black, with some flash built into it.

I also have had good luck with similar buggers tied with olive chenille bodies, using grizzly hackle. I was going to tie up some of those, but now I think I'll tie some up just like yours, and also some with grizzly.

Been really windy here the last couple of days. Got frustrated trying for Ling Cod off the jetty. Made just a few casts with the spin rod, and lost some good jigs to the bottom, no fish. My 'tennis elbow" started crying out to quit already after my third cast. Wind was howling in my face. What was I thinkin?

I need to head to a nice little lake with my lighter rods.
  3. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    Jim,
    Gary at the Morning Hatch used to sell what you are describing. They called them Speckled Buggers.
    I've used them for years and they racked up a lot of fish for me and my friends. The olive is good for SRC's in the salt as well.
    Take Gene's fly and use grizzly hackle and a grizzly marabou tail to match the variegated chenille body. Deadly in olive and brown.
    SF
    Jim Wallace likes this.
  4. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    For some reason, I haven't had much luck with the sparkle chenille variations. No clue why not. Must be a curse or something.
  5. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +1,033 / 1
    I had a good leech pattern using New Age chenille in Midnight Fire.
  6. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    Gene,
    I don't use sparkle chenille on the speckled buggers I described. The variegated chenille plus the grizzly hackle and marabou give it a speckled or spotted look.
    SF
  7. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Oh, I get ya. Sometimes I'm a little slow on the up-take.

(Geez, Woolly Buggers look like crap in photos. The suckers sure work but they are damned hard to make them look cool in a picture.)
    Jeff Dodd likes this.
  8. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +544 / 0
    Dang! I still have to whip up some of these! Some just like Gene's, and some just like Stonefish suggested. Yesterday I noticed a definite lack of variegated green/black, nor any grizzly-over-olive color schemes in my lake bugger box.

There's a streamer in my box that has a light green body, black rabbit tail and wing, and grizzly hackle, red thread head, size 8. It draws plenty of strikes, but for some reason, the fish always get off after the first 30 seconds. When I pinched the barb down, I think I also filed it smooth. I can't feel anything there, and it requires a constant tight line. So cursed as it is, it still has some value. One of these days I might land a trout on it, if I ever dare tie it on again.