Black Rainbow Trout?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Andrew Shoemaker, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Andrew Shoemaker

Andrew Shoemaker Active Member

I was fishing the Cedar yesterday and I noticed this decent sized (around 13-15") fish mosey its way to the shoreline and just sat in prolly 4" deep water. I walked right over to it and stood over it and watched it for a bit. It didn't move at all so I got even closer to the point that I could have just put my hand down and scooped it up. It looked a bit messed up almost like it was deteriorating and it was mostly black with some slight chrome still left on it down the middle and the rainbow stripe barely, barely visible. It seemed to me as though it was a dying fish by its behavior and appearance. Anyone ever seen this before or seen a black rainbow trout behave like this? Can you confirm it was dying?

Steve Call likes this.
  2. psycho

psycho Active Member

I think that you have to throw them up on shore to tell if they are really dying.:D I have seen some people that had turned pretty black, I do believe that they were dead. Altho maybe the guy that sold John Cleese his parrot would have thought them alive.:D:D

Irafly likes this.
  3. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

The black coloration could be indicative of bacterial infection-
    The behavior
    Is also in keeping with what I have seen with salmonids infected by bacterial infection

4. TonyZ

TonyZ Member

I noticed a lot of triploids with black " birthmarking" shapes on their head area lately. Mostly in stocked ponds.

5. generic

generic Active Member

Dude... I hope you washed your hands afterwards! That fish had/has Surpahepluhefaids (surpa-heplu-heff-aids).

Actually, I just made that up. I have no idea what it's deal was.

6. tinman207

tinman207 Active Member

Interesting. I know of a hatchery that had an incident where trout became blind and turned black after consuming a linseed based meal. Had something to do with their inability to metabolize the type of oil in the meal.
    I have caught some interesting dish in the Cedar this year an last....one I caught yesterday and took a picture of that I am debating bringing up publically because of the huff it might cause.
    I would be interested to know what your fish got exposed to though.

7. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    Old age or rough handling would be my guess. Although I wouldn't drink that water even if it was filtered.

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I was up on the N/F of the Snoqualmie. Very high up. Was fishing pocket water. The creek was barely running. I dropped my fly into a small pool and caught a little guy about 4" long that was black, You could barely see the red line and what spots it had. I put it back and quit for the day.

9. stilly stalker

Hot water = death for salmonids. Good chance it was succumbing to bacterial disease caused by stresses due to hot/ low oxygen water

Andrew Shoemaker likes this.
  10. Travis Bille

Travis Bille Active Member

Media:
    You've pretty much gotta put the pic up now!

Dizane and Matt Baerwalde like this.
  11. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

I've seen a lot of trout that seemed very dark. I wouldn't have called them black but they were very close to black. The fish were all in high elevation streams, small streams, with a lot of shade. I just assumed they were taking on the coloration that would benefit them in their habitat. They were all small rainbow, less than 10". Could be the fish the OP saw was just an extra large one that hadn't seen much predation throughout it's life, maybe it wasn't afraid of you? If you had moved "quickly" to it or tried to grab it you'd likely have found out if it was dying. Just a thought.

Old Man likes this.
  12. Storybook

Storybook Active Member

Media:
    Did it look similar to this? Caught this on the Cedar up high.

Attached Files:

13. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Media:
    Albums:
    In many tannic stained (aka tea stained) waters, coastal cutts and rainbows can appear very dark. It's possible that's what you saw, though on the other hand, I don't think the Cedar River qualifies as tannic water. Maybe it washed down from a tributary.

14. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

have noticed over the years quite a few fish (trout and other species) where a fish will have one side of its head, body or occasional the whole head or body with a black coloration. I suspect that is the result of injuries to the eye/optic nerve. The few fish I have been able to capture had evidence of fresh hook wounds in the roof of the mouth or otherwise close to the optic nerve. In very case the fish tended to be in open water and behaving somewhat abnormally.

Curt

Andrew Shoemaker likes this.
  15. Andrew Shoemaker

It didn't look anything like that. The fish I saw was about 80% solid black and looked obviously sick or distressed and behaved as such. It was so black that if there were any other types of trout in the cedar but cutties and bows there would be no way to tell exactly what it was. I wish I had thought to take a photo of it. I was too busy watching it though.

16. Andrew Shoemaker

I did pretend like I was going to grab it. And I could of. My hand was right there and I was crouched over it's body. It didn't move.

17. stilly stalker

18. Andrew Shoemaker

Thanks for posting that Stilly. BKD seems to fit the bill.

19. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

If that doesn't describe a Zombie trout.......

20. Andrew Shoemaker

I called and left a message at WFDW fisheries dept to find out if BKD is something their biologists have encountered on the Cedar before.