Blackfoot Mongoose Vise?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Pat Kiernan, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Pat Kiernan

Pat Kiernan Member

Hi I have been offered this vise as a swap for a rod . I tie flies from size 14 to 3/0 hooks. I have never heard of it and as its american made has anyone here thoughts on it or indeed experience of using one? Any thoughts appreciated thanks pat

2. Preston

Preston Active Member

It's a good, sturdy vise. If you want a complete description, go to the Griffin website.

3. TonyZ

TonyZ Member

I have the Montana mongoose vise, I love it. Not a complicated vise at all, but will accommodate complex pattern tying, though I have not reached that far into my tying talents to unlock it's might. I bought mine a few years back and it run me about 145 if I recall correct. It has a solid weighted base that won't walk on you. It also has the clamp attachment. All quality parts on it too, well designed, built, and looks impressive

4. FT

FT Active Member

It is a very good, solidly built in America vise and a very good price. I've recommended it to quite a few people since it hit the market. Granted, it doesn't have the nice polished finish of a Dyna King, Norvise, LAW, or Renzetti, but it is hundreds less than those. And most importantly, it holds hooks with a vengence and parts are easy to get in the unlikely event you break one.

5. Pat Kiernan

Pat Kiernan Member

Thanks for that folks very helpful think i will go with it best pat