Blackmouth

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by sean_k, Jan 2, 2009.

1. sean_k

sean_k Active Member

So I'm starting to get the hang of the salt, finally catching my fair share of src's and rezzie's, but now I am wanting to catch a blackmouth. I have read just about everything I could find in the archives, but still Im a bit puzzeled as to when they are abundant around the south sound. Also as to what I understand they are deep can anyone confirm this is it worth targeting them from the beach this time of year? Also is anyone willing to help me out with pointing me in the right direction to fish (not asking for your spot) From what I have read steep beaches where you can target the deeper water is the key, so would doc's purdy be a good start. And last has anyone had any success lately catching blackmouth.

2. Connor H

Connor H Bobbers n Beadz

Never caught one but I hear that they hang out BELOW herring schools or balls. deep, fast sinking lines are a must for most people and that is one of the reasons I got the T-400 sink tip. That heavy of a line is not necessary but I guess it should help get it down fast and keep it down while I strip like hell!

3. Jake Bannon

Jake Bannon nymphs for steelhead....

Im not a big expert on blackmouth but Ive caught most mine in lower light conditions (dark cloudy and stormy days). Ive heard really early mornings and late in the evening can be good also. Ive gone night fishing a few times and hooked up with only a couple, but have yet to land one while night fishing. Others whom I was fishing with had success and they are neat fish IMO, and very nocturnal it seems like. Glo in the dark flies seem to be successful, for me as well as others that Ive seen fishing them.

Jake

4. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

Sean:

I usually land a few adult blackmouth every spring/summer and have had the best success at daybreak when I get lucky and ocassionally find them in shallow water chasing after sand lance before they move into deeper water. Cloudy/light conditions particularly in the morning increases your odds. However, a couple of times I have landed adult blackmouth during mid-day in full sunlight in pretty shallow water when fishing for sea-run cutthroat. So go figure since it is just a matter of luck somtimes.

Roger

5. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

I have caught all my blackmouth from one local beach, always late in the day and a far cast out. they are pretty fish and I would say tough to target from the beach. more of a bycatch type of fish. If you can get into a boat, that is another story....

6. sean_k

sean_k Active Member

Thanks for the input, I had gathered they were mostly a by catch. So I guess my question is would I be wasting my time early tommrow morning (well not wasting my time bc I'll catch something blackmouth or not) and should I hit the incomeing or out going tide. Was thinking starting in the morning @6 on an incoming tide.

7. Jeff Hale

Jeff Hale B.I.G.F.F.

Sean-

I don't think you're wasting your time at all. I landed quite a few last year and the year before. I fish off several beaches, I use a Rio Outbound Intermediate line, a 6 weight rod, and clouser minnow type flies with a lot of FLASH. I've hooked several in the 6-8 pound range, landed lots of 22"-23" fish, and have seen a couple 9-10 pounders taken on flies.

You don't have to use glow in the dark flies, you don't have to fish from a boat, you don't have to fish in the dark, you don't have to use high density lines, and you don't have to cast far. Yes, it is true, all those things can help you be successful, but most importantly to me is finding a beach with a quick, steep slope in an area that will school baitfish and to fish it when the tide is moving fast and hard. I posted several pictures last year and will post again this year if I can remember to snap a shot the next time we land one.

jeff

8. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Have not targeted nor caught them on a fly. However, as a kid my dad and I fished the Sound quite a lot and I can certainly confirm the "below the bait ball" thing. Frequently one of us would run shallow trolling gear for silvers and the other would run a deepsix diver to get steep and deep for the blackmouth. Good luck, and feel free to pm me the hotspots as you find them ;)

9. sean_k

sean_k Active Member

:rofl: PM the hotspots!!! I'd trade trips if I find a good spot, as long as you would be willing to do the same.

10. Jim Speaker

:rofl: I know, I know... hehehe.

11. gigharborflyfisher

gigharborflyfisher Native Trout Hunter

I have targeted Blackmouth on a number of occasions, and have had success on most of my outings. Like others said the key is low light conditions. I have caught a couple during the day, but night fishing is what it is all about for them. They usually seem to prefer a slack tide (I have done best at low tide). Try glow in the dark or black flies. Now through spring is a good time of the year for them.

12. martyg

martyg Active Member

So.... what kind of water are you guys fishing at low light??? I have never caught a King in low light in Puget Sound. For me they all come suspended at about 10 - 25 feet in 100 - 150 feet of water at very specific and predictable rips.

13. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

Would someone mind posting a pic of a "blackmouth" for the less informed/fortunate. I'm not familar with that fish. Thanks.

14. gigharborflyfisher

Usually get into them off of flat type areas, with either cobble or eel grass bottoms. Generally they will be in the same places that you would look for cutthroat or resident coho. Think shallower water and floating or intermediate lines a night.

15. gigharborflyfisher

Blackmouth is just another name for chinook salmon, here are a couple of pictures:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

16. SAU

SAU Member

Up here in the north sound, the locals use the term "blackmouth" to refer to an immature (under 22") Chinook salmon. However, all Chinook can be identified by their dark mouth and black gum line.

I understand many of the blackmouth in Puget Sound this time of year are the result of WDFW's delayed hatchery release program. Follow this link for more on that program:

http://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/PS_Blackmouth_history.htm

As far as targeting blackmouth, I understand they have a tendency for the bottom of deeper (90'-120' feet) water. I also understand they will forage into shallower water during the night and can be found there during low light conditions such as early morning and late in the day. I'm sure you can also throw the book out the window and catch them on the surface in the middle of a sunny August afternoon.

Because the resident silvers don't seem as prevalent here in the north sound (I'd appreciate any insight on that topic), I've spent some time this fall and winter targeting the local blackmouth. I've had success from the boat at spots known as productive mooching sites. The Calamarko squid pattern featured in Les Johnson's Fly Fishing for Pacific Salmon II is my go-to fly. I use a 300 grain sink tip and look for conditions that will allow maximum sink (low wind, tidal exchange).

I've haven't seen much "chatter" on the blackmouth fishery, so hopefully there are others who can correct me where I've gone wrong or just provide more information.

Attached Files:

17. South Sound

South Sound Member

18. sean_k

sean_k Active Member

I've been told from a few individuals that they have more success on a very low tide. I have a few spots that I checked out yesterday while fishing for src's and rezzies, so I thought I would hit those spots this up coming saturday night during the low tide and was wanting to know if anyone would want meet up and try to catch one.

19. South Sound

South Sound Member

My secret spot is Pt Defiance. Don't tell anyone.

20. Jim Speaker

While rezzie fishing in relatively shallow water with intermediate line I got about a 9" blackmouth today with intact adipose fin... it was hard to keep him on he was so small and light. Hehe... but he had the trademark larger spotting on the back and a dark gumline.