Blackmouth

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by sean_k, Jan 2, 2009.

1. sean_k

sean_k Active Member

Media:
    You guys are killing me with the pics. Unbelivable fish I cant wait to be able to post a pic of a blackmouth that I catch. I'll be out all day saturday through the low tide sat night, wish me luck!!!!!

2. sean_k

sean_k Active Member

Media:
    You guys are killing me with the pics. Unbelivable fish I cant wait to be able to post a pic of a blackmouth that I catch. I'll be out all day saturday through the low tide that night, wish me luck!!!!!

3. SAU

SAU Member

D.Rose: What type of rod were you lucky (good) enough to use landing that pig? I ask because I've been having fun with smaller blackmouth on my 7 weight and have wondered what would happen if (when) I find a nice 4-5 salt fish.

4. Connor H

Connor H Bobbers n Beadz

Media:
    These pics are amazing! I am on the hunt for my first blackmaw as are a lot of people but it is really encouraging!!!

5. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    Yeah, I remember hitting fish like that on gear when I was a kid... beautiful pics... would be amazing to fight a blackmouth like those on a flyrod. Hopefully one day in the salt I'll be blessed with one, and my tippet will hold :)
    :beer2:

6. d. rose

d. rose Live to fish, fish to live.

Home Page:
    Alevin,

I think that fish was on a 696 Winston BIIX. It's a little easier from a boat with a fish that big, as you're up high and can keep the rod low and really put the wood to them on 10lb Deep Blue.

In general for Puget Sound I don't believe you need any more rod than that. Fish to 10 lbs can be handled just fine on a 6 or 7. Salmon are rarely leader shy so I'm usually not afraid to beef up the tippet and rip them in. You can apply way more pressure to a fish than most people realize.

D