Blackpowder Deer hunting over Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Jeff Hale, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Jeff Hale B.I.G.F.F.

Bainbridge Island, WA
    Ratings: +27 / 0
    I will be meat hunting for any mature buck or doe blacktail I can get my sights on over Thanksgiving Break in Mason County and maybe in Mossyrock. If you want to do a local day hunt, let me know. jeff
  2. Michael Dunn New Member

Vashon, Washington
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I'll be in the woods in that area as well. It's been a pretty productive late hunt for me and my hunting partner.
    Good hunting to you!
  3. Michael Dunn New Member

Vashon, Washington
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I was up in The Matlock area yesterday where my hunting partner and I have done real well in the past but they outsmated us this time. Lots of sign but no sightings. Heard a few blasting away in the area so maybe somebody got lucky.
    Did see a small herd of elk however which was very cool. I've seen tracks and droppings up there but never actually saw them. What beautiful animals.
  4. Jeff Hale B.I.G.F.F.

Bainbridge Island, WA
    Got a small buck yesterday and my hunting buddy, Mike, got a BIG doe, the largest I've ever seen. If it had antlers, you'd swear it was a big-bodied buck. Muzzleloader, in a canyon, off a clearcut. We jumped 2 does, the small buck and a good 2-point. We both got shots within 15 seconds of each other, both made perfect kills, and the animals did not suffer as they dropped where they were hit. Mine was only at about 40 yards, but Mike hit his at around 100. Excellent shooting. He loves his Knight, I love my TC. They both work great. Mike got a 5 X 5 bull in Mossyrock about 2 weeks ago. But he said that dragging out this doe was way worse than the elk; up a steep canyon wall, then out another 3 miles through some nasty terrain. He's done pretty dang well for himself this year. The kid is only 22. Nice work Mikey!

We kept the tails off the deer and thought maybe we'd tie some Clousers with the bucktail. I have never kept any fur/hair before. I was going to cover them in canning salt and let them sit for a week in a bag, in the freezer. Will this suffice to kill any little parasites/bacteria they may have that might spread to my other materials? Any thoughts on this? Thanks, and good luck out there. You still got to the 15th. Jeff
  5. Josh Benjamin Member

duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    jeff...is it a t/c black diamond and a knight bighorn??
    trying to decide between the 2 if i decide to do the muzz thing.
    any input???
    as far as the salting thing, can't help. every time i've tried it, never seems to work quite right. always ended up stinking REAL BAD
  6. Jeff Hale B.I.G.F.F.

Bainbridge Island, WA
    Josh-
    Not sure about the specific make of Mike's Knight rifle, but he really likes it. His barrel is 26 inches, which is two inches longer than the standard 24. Mine is a T/C Blackdiamond XR (extended Range) and has a 28 inch barrel. We compared weight, and they are both light when compared to the traditional rifles. They both have synthetic stocks and both have stainless barrels. I don't think you could go wrong with either. I practice a fair amount at the range and last year I harvested a big doe at a slow trot at 120 yards; through both lungs. I don't know if that was the gun, me, or just dumb luck. Probably a little of each. I do know that if you get a blackpowder rifle, you will have to fool with the load and projectile to find the perfect combination for your specific rifle. Since I hunt both elk and deer, I just go with a 405 grain bullet for everything. I use 110 grains of powder and a 405 grain, all lead, hollow point sabot type bullet made by PowerBelt. They are easier than sabots to load, and don't leave nearly the amount of plastic fouling in your barrel. Plus, they are accurate as heck. Mike uses 100 grains of powder, and a 355 grain bullet. He dropped his elk and his deer right in their tracks. T/C has been around a little longer, but Knight makes great stuff, too. I would suggest either. Not sure what the price difference is; perhaps that will help you decide. Mine is all black synthetic stock and stainless barrel and cost about $400 with tax. I see they have Camo synthetic stock XR's at Sportsmen's for around $360, I think. Good luck and enjoy the extended and liberal seasons of blackpowder. Also, it sure is a lot of fun. Jeff
  7. Josh Benjamin Member

duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    thanks for the info. i have a big debate going on in my head right now...trying to decide between a muzzleloader, a bow or a new turkey gun. i know that if i did the bow or muzz thing, iit would probably only be for elk. i don't rifle hunt elk because of the crowds and i tagged along on a muzz elk hunt this year and it was great...lack of people. i rifle hunt for deer, which i really enjoy, on private land in eastern wa. and i'm not ready to quit that yet.
    :beer2:
  8. Jeff Hale B.I.G.F.F.

Bainbridge Island, WA
    Pics of Blackpowder blacktails

here's a couple pics of the deer we got late season, Westside. Jeff