Blast and Cast and Blast and Cast

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Upton O, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Ratings: +211 / 0
    Just back from a trip back to the Stone Age in Zimbabwe. It was an incredible trip with some really bad "stuff" that had to be dealt with. The bad stuff first: did not get to hunt the area I paid for, there were some "adustments" expected (bribes) and the professional hunter said "Go screw yourselves" to the concession manager. He then scrambled to get me to another outstanding area, called in a few favors and picked up the tab himself including using his own plane to transport us to hunting camp. The other "not so good" stuff was two fatal heart attacks on the flight from O Tambo airport to Atlanta. Both deaths were two meters from me, I ended up helping move a body into an alcove...Not the first time I handled dead bodies but not what I expected on this trip.

The incredible part: busted my ass walking, following unbelievable trackers and a no nonsense professional hunter who got me a true old "dagga boy" Cape buffalo, a zebra with teeth worn down to the gums, a gnarly old warthog, a huge eland, a genet, and two baboons. I heard wonderful stories at the evening campfire, had a bluff charge by a bull elephant at our truck that was very close, saw a pack of wild dogs, hundreds of elephants, Cape buffalo, plains game, birds. Also had the experience of shooting sand grouse at dusk by a waterhole one evening.

Got to do a little fishing, caught tilapia (called bream there) and some small tigerfish. The gear offered by the fishing charter guys was very "marginal" and all spinning gear. There were two different guys I saw throwing flies and they were doing very well on 3-5 lb tigers.

I'll be writing the adventure up over the next month or two on the blog if you're interested. Next time I'm taking my 8wt for tigerfish.

IMG_3894.JPG IMG_3923.JPG IMG_4099.JPG IMG_4218.JPG IMG_4022.JPG IMG_4065.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Troutrageous Active Member

Yakima
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    Awesome pics. Sorry to hear your trip had some setbacks, but I'd imagine they made the successes that much better! Just finished "Green Hills of Africa", so its great to see some related pics.
  3. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +771 / 1
    Karl, that looks like a heck of a trip. Damn that's a big hole in the side of the buffalo...:eek:. Quite the variety of game there. How long were you gone?

Let me know when you're up for some clays again...;) Can't wait to hear the tales...
  4. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Roper, I was gone for 18 days, hunted 8 days, fished three days, toured the rest. The bullet hole in the buff was one of two "insurance" bullets, I actually shot him in the neck and literally flipped him upside down on the first shot. Buff are always shot at least twice, I've heard it said "It's the dead ones that will kill you." I'll be up for some sporting clays in about a week after I get caught up with nine times zones and a bunch of stuff here at the house.
  5. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +644 / 0
    Wow! That's the stuff dreams are made of, Karl. Thanks for sharing.
  6. constructeur Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +411 / 0
    Awesome Karl. How about a few more pictures? ;)
  7. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Be careful in what you ask for, Terry, I have more than 700 photos taken by my PH, my South African hunting buddy who accompanied us, and my two cameras...I can put anyone to sleep with the slide show, for sure.
  8. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Ratings: +221 / 1
    Great looking trip and the "bads" make good copy.
    I was going to post about my first trip to Montana, bit I see no point in it now.:(:D
  9. orangeradish Bobo approved

Capital City
    Ratings: +484 / 0
    In for the slide show.
    constructeur likes this.
  10. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +966 / 1
    I've got some no-doz ready in case you ever bring the slides to the eastside.
  11. mr. bad example Member

poulsbo
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    Thanks for the report but I am curious as to why you'd shoot baboons ? are they tasty? or just obnoxious ?
  12. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    No copping out here, post it...:)
    constructeur likes this.
  13. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +886 / 0
    Don't forget that a group of baboons is called a congress....:eek: Kinda fits, doesn't it?
    Islander likes this.
  14. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Karl; we'd love to see the whole enchilada! That's a place I've never thought about hunting at, but who knows? Great photos, and it makes me jealous!! Well done on Mr. Buff, especially! A shot to the head with my .300WSM probably would just piss one of those things off! What rifles did you carry?
  15. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Isn't there someplace where those who wish could get together and check out the travelogue on a big screen? I'd bring some brews...;)
    Islander and Alex MacDonald like this.
  16. mr. bad example Member

poulsbo
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    it does fit, thank you, I'll stop wondering now, those suckers needed thinning.
    Alex MacDonald likes this.
  17. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Sorry for the delayed response to your question, I came down with the worst cold I've had in many, many years and am just now feeling up to writing.

Alex, I used the PH's Parker Hale .375 H&H with 300 gr soft nose Barnes X and then followed up 300 gr. solids. I quit taking my own firearms to Africa two years ago, it is a real hassle and crossing through four countries in one day, which I had to do the day I left, would have been impossible with a gun. The rifle was a real sweetheart, very heavy and on the second day of four days trying to get a shot at an eland, having walked a number of miles, I repeatedly thought of Marines in route step with M-14's in their hands.

Mr. Bad Example: baboons are trophies, some folks do full body mounts others just want the skull. They are really nasty animals, one of only two animals I truly hate. Shooting them helps keep them fearful of humans and less likely to come into camp and cause damage/injury.

Mark Walker: you damn sure better post your report and photos, your hunt is just as important and anyone else's.
  18. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +644 / 0
    I'll second that!
  19. ribka Active Member

E WA
    Ratings: +164 / 0
    Fantastic . Best C&b post on here.loss for words. Using a Parker and Hale 375 for cape buff. Stuff of dreams since my childhood.

Well done!
  20. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

For me, it's hyenas, baboons, and congresscritters. Come to think of it, baboons and congresscritters are the same animal!