Blast and Cast

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by TD, Oct 30, 2012.

1. TD

TD Active Member

Got up the other morning and took my lab out to a local Pheasant Release Site. He was a hunting fool all morning. Ended up with a couple of nice roosters. During our hunt he kept jumping down in the drainages and was slopping around in that black ooplah. My usual scenario is to take him to the local river and let him swim around a bit and get most of the gunk off of him. The river was high and muddy. It was still early in the day, so I drove a long ways up the river and went to a hole where a feeder creek typically runs clear even after the rains. It had been a day since any real rain and the feeder was clear. The main river was dropping with about 1 - 2 ft of visibility (the feeder helps clear the water where it dumps in, which is why I like this location on a falling river). I decided to go ahead and cast a fly out there and see what happened. On my first cast I got a nice strong tug. I gave it a gentle strip to draw the line tight, felt the head shake, and set the hook. Fish On!!! After a short fight I led about an 8 lbs unclipped steelhead to hand. I've never known Wild Steelhead to venture that far up this river so I was really surprised. I ended up fishing along there for a few hours and made it back to the truck just as it was gettng dark. Both my dog and I had had a long adventurous day and were sufficiently tired.

2. Breck

Breck Active Member

Awesome. Sounds like a banner day, all around.

3. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    Hard to beat that one buddy...

4. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    I hope you also picked up some mega-million lottery tickets :D

5. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Great lie.... er story. Glad you had a great day with your best friend.
    Those are the kind of days that stick with you for a life time. Treasure it. Of course you know that you are feeding my addiction. I just may have to get my waders wet next week. Monday looks like a window.
    Albeit a small window. but a window.