Blood Sucking Little Vampires

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by GAT, Apr 1, 2013.

1. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

That's right, it's tick season again. So when you're bush-whacking, make sure you check for ticks when you get home. My Grandfather almost died from a tick bite (Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever). Plus, if you have a canine fishing buddy, make sure you treat him or her with anti tick spray or meds.

I hate the little buggers worse than rattlers. Normally, I spray my fishing hat with insect repellent and that seems to help... but sometimes I find them hanging onto my shirt when I get home.

Hates the ticks I do.... hates the ticks.

2. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    I had 4 ticks on me after fishing the seep lakes today. It was shower time and fresh clothes right after unpacking the gear.

The ticks thought they would hide in my head hair but having them up there is the equivalent of a rhinoceros in a corn field

3. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I wear long sleeve, PFG light-colored shirts. I learned this from mushroom hunting. We also give our dog the anti-flea anti-tick pills. They are expensive but I'd rather do that than spray her with insecticide.

The downside of morel mushroom hunting in NEO was the ticks. At the end of the day, Mom would do tick inspection and many times she'd find some... usually in our hair. That's why I wear a hat nowadays when mushroom hunting and fishing.

If they were buried, Dad would do the old match trick to get them to back out. I purchased a nifty tool that pulls them out without breaking off their heads. I sent one to a friend in La Grande and he's used it with great success many times after mushroom hunting.

Ticks carry bad nasty diseases and Lyme Disease is one that is moving up from California.

This is why I'm more concerned about ticks than rattlers.

Here's the inexpensive little tool, it comes with detailed instructions and a tick identification card:

[​IMG]

4. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    Snakes are out too. Saw one yesterday. It had to have been near seventy today here.

5. Joe Goodfellow

Joe Goodfellow Active Member

Media:

Try rubbing a orange on your dog ticks and fleas hate oranges. Don't peel it or anything just roll it around.

Olive bugger likes this.
  6. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Thanks for the information.

7. Ryan Hieronymus

Ryan Hieronymus Member

Home Page:
    oh great. Just what I was hoping to hear before spending a weekend at Rocky Ford and Lenice.

8. Chad Lewis

Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

9. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    If you worry about snakes, you will waste your time looking for them. In all the times I fished over on the dry side did I ever worry about snakes. Same with Ticks. If they are there they are there.

10. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    I'll be out again shortly and this time I'll spray my pant legs.

11. Dorylf

Dorylf Oregon Member

Sickest I've ever been was when I had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. Got it from a Metolius area tick.

Motivated, I did some research afterwards and RMSF used to be 95% fatal before antibiotics.

For all those times I wish I'd lived in the "good ol' days," because the fishing would have been awesome, all I need do is remember that I would have died from that #%€@ tick, and suddenly I'm not so sorry I'm fishing in the modern era.

I hate ticks.

12. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Never heard of that one... interesting. If I wasn't already giving her the flea and tick pills I'd give it a try.

Phil, no one should take RMSF lightly and you get it from ticks. As you said, before antibiotics, pioneers died of a tick bite. ... and Lyme Disease is nothing to scoff at.

13. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    I've been fortunate in never having had a tick attach itself to me. Some unfortunate soul here a couple years back though had one crawl into his drawers and attach itself to his rectum. Talk about a pain in the ass getting rid of it . . .

K

Dipnet, triploidjunkie and Old Man like this.