Bloody Mary SBS

Discussion in 'Fly Tying Step by Step / Video' started by ScottP, Nov 7, 2012.

1. ScottP Active Member

Ratings: +885 / 0
    Found this fly while poking around the flyboxes at Kingfisher's in Missoula (nice shop, love their rolling material racks). S'posed to be a good bet on Rock Creek; turns out it was.

hook - Mustad 9671 #12
    thread - Uni 8/0 camel
    Tail - goose biots brown
    body - Super Floss red
    rib - peacock herl
    hackle - Indian hen back
    head - 1/8 brass bead

Mash down barb and slide bead on shank

[IMG]

start thread, wind to bend and create thread ball

[IMG]

tie in biot tails (extend a little less than shank length) tight against thread ball to divide

[IMG]

trim tails and create thread underbody

[IMG]

tie in Super Floss (original pattern called for regular floss but it tends to darken up too much for my liking when coated in cement; Uni-Stretch is better and easy to work with but I wanted to see how the spandex stuff would work)

[IMG]

tie in peacock herl

[IMG]

wrap Super Floss, try to create tapered body

[IMG]

coat with Sally

[IMG]

spiral peacock up body while cement is still wet (to tell the truth, counter wrapping with x-small copper wire would probably create a more durable fly; next time)

[IMG]

prep a hen back feather

[IMG]

couple wraps of hackle (keeping it sparse), tie off, a bit more Sally and you're done

[IMG]

top view (kinda)

[IMG]

If it's going to be fished (and lost) amongst the rocks, I like to keep them simple

Regards,
    Scott
  2. McNasty Canyon Lurker

Somewhere Near Selah, WA
    Ratings: +452 / 1
    very nice. this fly works very good in swift "stonefly" type water, as it was created for. i had the honor of meeting/fishing with an older gentleman on my favorite local river this year. after swapping a bunch of flies with eachother he handed me a bunch of bloody mary's. "this is one of my favorites." he said. turned out to be non other than Darryl Smoot, the creator of this pattern. awesome guy, awesome fly.
  3. ScottP Active Member

Cool. Thanks for that info McNasty; always nice to know a fly's origins.

Regards,
    Scott
  4. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    Keep up the good work on the SBSs Scott. Even if I don't tie a particular pattern I learn a lot of little tricks from your posts. The little thread ball to flare the biots for instance.
  5. Rob Ast Active Member

West Pugetopolis WA
    Ratings: +237 / 3
    I agree. Thanks a bunch.
  6. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    I've been trying to tie this for the winter lake fly swap for about a week. I just couldn't get the spandex floss to stay a bright red. It was ending up way darker than Scot's fly, almost a dried blood color, not attractive at all. Today I bought some Uni-Floss in Chinese Red, and it looks great.

One question - are you using the whole hen back feather, or only one side?
  7. ScottP Active Member

Patrick,

I used the whole feather but only took a couple turns; you could strip one side and get the same effect with a few more wraps.
    Haven't tried Uni-Floss on these; glad it turned out well. I was going to tie it with Uni-Stretch but couldn't find my spool of red so I went with the spandex. I've heard you can brighten it up by tying white underneath (or silver tinsel) but that's adding more steps and I was trying to keep it simple.
    If you can, post a pick of your fly; love to see it.

Regards,
    Scott
  8. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    I just looked at the spool and it's uni-stretch.

I tried the tinsel underbody and it was still darker than in your SBS.

Thanks for the advice on the hackle.
  9. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    IMG_2203.JPG
    I also like version without a bead.
    ScottP likes this.
  10. ScottP Active Member

Patrick,

Very nice. You better tie a bunch; the fish are going to clean you out in a hurry.

Regards,
    Scott