Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Blue collar version ;)

1K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  c1eddy 
#1 ·
Wood Table Automotive exterior Flooring Bumper
So I wanted to build a dubbing brush maker and got me some aluminum parts made a few cuts through done a few welds that it quick quick didn't want to spend too much time on it all from scrap this one will spin a 12 inch dubbing brush. I simply looked online for a design and came up with this from all the other stuff I saw. It's not done yet I got to figure out the ball bearing thing I'm using ball bearings from skateboards and then I'm going to make a turning wheel and the tensioner on the other side I pretty much drilled a hole inside of a screw in a put a cotter pin in it I'll modify the cotter pin to be able to wrap the string around it. It's made out of aluminum and like I said I just whipped it together real quick ( few hrs) so anyway. What do you think?

Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Rectangle Gas

See less See more
#2 ·
I hate typing on my phone so I'm just speaking this into my voice recorder and I'm realizing it's not really saying everything I wanted to say but the cotter pin a stainless steel and the whole unit is made out of aluminum scrap fabricated by me.

#7 ·
My wife said the same thing! I bought all the material at scrap rate from work, if I had to buy it for building some to sell it would cost a butt load (well, for me at least) it's all marine grade stuff. :D super overkill for dubbing brush maker but it's what I had, and alum fab is my thing.

#6 ·
Thanks

Thanks, the welds can look better, but that's because welding is my trade. It was cold in the shop and that bottom plate is only 1/8th inch aluminum, the rest is 1/2" aluminum, the tungsten was shot too but i did not care, I had that need to just git-r done quick! :) I managed to keep the plate from warping though (that's the main challenge) with all that heat. (that thick aluminum takes a while to heat up, the bottom plate not so much, so it gets tricky). Wood would probably be better, but I'm no wood worker! ;) I find wood to be less forgiving than metal.

#11 · (Edited)
Awesome build! I bet it's the only aluminum dubbing brush maker in the country. Made total sense to go with what you know. 12"-15" seems like a real good length..the shorter ones just don't do enough flies to seem worth the effort.
I've become intrigued with these lately, and thinking about building one while checking prices (I've seen $40-220) on the manufactured ones. I'm thankful there are some very basic instructions available for building simple models, cuz I'm a real hack in the woodshop.
When you get it done, hope you'll post a pic (or even share a quick video).

#12 ·
Thanks, I will, need to get around to completing it. Jamie, I don't know full rates of aluminum, but at work we only order huge sheets (we build USCG and USDOD boats) out of 5086 material and 6061 material. There's a place in Seattle - www.onlinemetals.com that sells smaller quantities you may want to check out if you are interested.

#14 ·
Thanks, I will, need to get around to completing it. Jamie, I don't know full rates of aluminum, but at work we only order huge sheets (we build USCG and USDOD boats) out of 5086 material and 6061 material. There's a place in Seattle - www.onlinemetals.com that sells smaller quantities you may want to check out if you are interested.
Just curious. I was in the steel/metals biz for 10 years back in the 80's.

#15 ·
Very cool man. Tell me, what is the advantage of a dubbing brush? Ive never really given them much thought, but lately been playing around with ling flies and have been using stuff like cactus chenille and baitfish emulator to build big bodies and collars.... Would something like this allow me to spin up my own version of that type of big stuff in my own colors and materials?

#17 ·
Yes, pretty much Nic, you can create your own version/combination of materials. Lets say you get craft fur, cut nice big lengths, lay them on the wire, add in some ice dub or angel hair, maybe add a hint of another color of craft fur and spin it. Once you're done you'll have a big brush of your own concoction and whatever length you want. depending on your brush length you could get a few flies out of one. So advantage is your own concoctions, length, your choice of materials and multiple ties out of one brush.

#16 ·
Woah! That is one burly dubbing brush machine. As a friend of mine would say, that thing is "the cat's ass."

I was at the fly shop this weekend and picked up some SS wire for saltwater dubbing brushes with my NorVise. Haven't given it a shot yet, but the inspiration is all you. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.