Blue..... the new purple??

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Panhandle, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    Variations of blue intrigue me. My all important confidence is with purple, but I would like to try blue this fall. What have your experiences been with blue as opposed to a usual purple
    pattern?
  2. Mulligan Stephen Mull

Seattle
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Blue has been very kind to me. Especially UV blue marabou.
  3. Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Quesnel, BC
    Ratings: +319 / 0
    Blue is a great color. It makes a great bead color a month or so after the spawn... (totally joking Panhandle)

Blue is one of my go to colors in clear or dirty water.
  4. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +434 / 0
    Blue has alaways been one of my favorite colors, particularly for summer-runs. A simple, blue (silver doctor blue) and purple, spun marabou was my go-to pttern for many years. Blue has traditionally been a widely used color for low-water Atlantic salmon patterns (Blue Charm and others). Here's a a simple pattern that I call the Pseudospey (I also tie it in other colors). The other is an Atlantic salmon fly from the Margaree River region, the Big Intervale Blue.
  5. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +839 / 1
    With the exception of a couple fish, Ross and I have been catching our summer steelhead in the Snoqualmie for the last couple years on a #6 Blue Charm. Gotta love that teal blue.

Leland.
  6. Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Peck, ID
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    Blue seems to work pretty good over here on the Clearwater. Leroy Hyatt of Lewiston has come up with a mostly blue fly called the "Papa Smurf". For the short time it's been around it's been successful.

After it gets colder and the water is clear a small black marabou with a fl blue guinea collar works really well here.
  7. Christian Brewer Super Slacker

Slacking in Mill Creek
    Ratings: +17 / 0
    As A Perfect Circle sings:

"Such a lovely color for you!" ;)

Blue and black is definitely the new purple. I've had very good luck with blue...more so in the winter mostly though just because I'm always fishing more natural colors or small black something during the summer.

In the winter time try a Blue Exasporator!!! But you had better have a big rod to cast it!!!

Christian
  8. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +103 / 0
    Black and blue is a standard on the Skagit at least amongst the people I fish with.

I will have to look into that "Blue Charm"....Thanks Leland.
  9. fullerfly Calvin Fuller

Sandpoint, ID
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Blue doesn't work....especially for steelhead.
  10. bhudda heffe'

basement
    Ratings: +109 / 0
    i use clear feathers, they just murder fish!

really tho, im into chartruese and black now.
  11. Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Quesnel, BC
    Ratings: +319 / 0
    chart/black chart purple are awesome for coho
  12. Panhandle Active Member

Calvin, did you think I was talking about steelhead?

Perch, guy, perch.
  13. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    Too bad those perch are just stinky old hatchery boots! :D
  14. bhudda heffe'

basement
    Ratings: +109 / 0
    HAVE YOU SEEN THE BASS ON THE SKEENA!!!!!! THEY LOVE ORANGE:)
  15. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +118 / 0
    Interesting this question should come up. Here on the Rogue, which not a lot of folks actually know, is we have two sets of summer runs. The first, and largest in numbers, are the 'A' fish which will run 3-6 pounds on average. The second run ('B's' if you will) enter the upper river usually in October and will be double the size of the 'A' fish.

For the first group, never touched a fish with a fly incorporating a 'light blue.' The 'B-Boys' a whole new thing. :thumb:
  16. Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Kailua Hawaii
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    Blue works, which is kind of shocking.:confused: I mean, yellow, red, purple, black, orange, peach, rust, brown, olive, white, green, pink, red/white/blue, and tan/burlap have all put steelhead on the beach over the years, so it really surprises me that blue would.:D Duff
    Just like Trix are for kids, most steelhead flies are for anglers. There are places, times, and other variables where color and pattern are important, but to me most of the time, it's all about presentation for our beloved steelies.
  17. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    :rofl:
  18. SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Roy, WA
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    Coach, you're killing me.iagree

I've heard of guys fishing bare hooks too
    hell, THEY BITE CORKIES!
  19. Big Tuna Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    I hear that argument all the time, but don't entirely buy it. I agree that presentation and fishing w/ confidence are important factors, but color does matter. As everyone knows, some colors are picked up better in various light and/or water conditions. Beyond that, however, some colors just elicit more strikes. I am a pretty average steelheader, but I would be happy to follow any of you through my favorite upper Columbia trib runs with you fishing a bare hook and me fishing my go-to fly. Color does matter. How much? Who knows, but it matters.
  20. Panhandle Active Member

Thank you for that logical, non-ego driven response Tuna. You are right, color and profile do matter, especially under different light and water clearity conditions. Presentation and a player are certianly the key, and yes patterns are definatley driven by confidence, but the fly does play a part. The bare hook guys I think you are referring to consist of some of the N. Umpqua vets who wake shankless hooks.