Blue..... the new purple??

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Panhandle, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Kundzja New Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Read the same thing w regard to Atlantic salmon...

I've caught more big fish (not just steelhead) on a simple tandem marabou black leech w a dumbell head and a wisp of crystal flash than any other single fly.
  2. Sloan Craven Active Member

NoSho, ma
    Ratings: +30 / 0
    A blue-green combination seemed to give me the most luck.
  3. SilverFly Ancient Steelhead Sensei

Camas, WA
    Ratings: +50 / 0
    How's blue for silvers? They are very color selective at times.

As for the Jerry Garcia fly, how about a Cherry Garcia fly in cerise (which is french for cherry) and brown (for chocolate) like the Ben and Jerry's ice cream. Damn, now I want to blow my diet.
  4. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +104 / 0
    In my experience and from what I have been told by olde tymers, size is far more important to silvers than color.

They can be very selective this way so tie many different sizes to whatever fly you tie and go through them systematically when around silvers.

A little too big or too small can make a huge difference.
  5. Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Yakima, WA.
    Ratings: +132 / 0
    Feather-craft has a Jerry Garcia Sculpin in their catalog.

I tried blue on the Klickitat for the last four days. Didn't work. Neither did orange, purple, pink, white, or black.
  6. SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Roy, WA
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    you know how you get those nervous tying fits once in awhile and have to tie something stupid to get the poison out?
    I made a fly with loads of holoflash in the tail, tail of purple and red marabou, put on a simple body of purple ice dub over some lead wraps, palmered a blue hackle over it, and finished with a purple dyed guinea collar. too hideous looking to name. looked like a feather duster on acid.
    caught a steelhead with it the next day:hmmm:
    who knows what the hell a fish wants? I'd been fishing blue, purple, other colors, low waters, bunnies, got most of the box wet that day and scored on the misfit fly.
    I'll have to say degree of contrast in materials, amount of sparkle/flash, action, and visibility in the water column is what triggers the take. What makes it tricky is that each fish is an individual too.
  7. golfman65 Guest

Ratings: +5 / 0

I'm sure they felt equally as blessed with your company too...Man that would make my day to sit around with all of the above mentioned and try and gleam a fraction of your knowledge...Makes these pages so much better that so many "legends" join in...
    Thank You!!!