Bluegills

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Doug Lee, Mar 5, 2014.

1. While getting ready to move found a bag of bluegill fillets hiding behind a pork roast. Had to trim up a couple but not bad. Leftovers for tacos. Now I really want spring to get here . ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394058287.764405.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Wow, those look amazing!

Kind of interested in fishing for Bluegill, what flies do you use?
    I couldn't find any websites about fishing for them in Washington.

3. Do a search for 'Bluegill in Washington State' for the WDFW list of lakes that have bluegill. I think I counted about 92 lakes on that list so there could be a lake near you.
    A bluegill will take most anything that resembles food but for great topwater action they can't seem to resist tiny poppers with rubber legs. Subsurface the sky's the limit on patterns. For years I used a simple pattern called a Fluff Butt that was nothing more than a hook with a wrap or two of bright colored chenille at the butt then a contrasting color-usually black-wound to the head. A small hen or partridge hackle at the front completed the fly. There are a thousand other patterns that will work.
    You might let us know where you are and maybe someone can direct you to a productive lake nearby.

Ive

Brookie_Hunter likes this.
  4. I actually know of several lakes near my house that I've caught bluegill from when I was real little, I just remember it being some kind of sparse nymph.

I also have 2 Washington fishing books that list lakes that have Bluegill and other panfish.

Thanks for the info Ive!

5. The first time I caught bluegill, in SW Washington, I used a #10 or #12 Prince Nymph, and had a fish on every cast. They're not picky, but they are a lot of fun.

6. I second the prince nymph. I lived in Iowa for 16 months and a prince nymph was the ticket. I usually went to it after the top water action died down. For top water a small rubber leg popper or a small black ant worked well. A cased caddis nymph worked well too. My wife actually caught a large frog on a cased caddis while targeting bluegill. Craziest thing I've ever seen was her pulling that thing in and trying to release it. Never laughed so hard in my life! Frog kept jumping all over and forget holding onto that thing.

7. Gills here in Kittitas county seem to be a
    little shy, but I catch my share on small mohair leeches or soft hackles. I strip them in slowly and usually get a hookup as the fly is getting close to shore. 2wt on most days and 4 if it's a little windy.

Olive bugger likes this.
  8. Bluegill are one if my favourite light-rod fish. First and only ones I've ever caught were in Hawai'i but I will always remember them.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Brookie_Hunter and Patrick Gould like this.
  9. Wonder if those BG would like the Copper John fly, say in a size 12?

10. I spent the last 7 years in Arizona catching more bluegill/red ear and bass than trout. They will absolutely take a size 12 copper john. Get creative with the wire colors too. I've found they seem to really like red at times, sometimes alternating black and yellow wire. Different florescent colored beads and rubber legs work well too.

I've caught some in the 2lb range down south, but I think the state record Arizona red ear is over 4lbs. That would be killer! You guys ever catch any big ones up here? From the look of those fillets, they can't all be too small.

atomic dog and Patrick Gould like this.
  11. Looking at bluegill flies on Youtube, from other parts of the US, I find the flies tend to be rather simple in their design. Rubber legs seem to be the trigger on either a dark or a flashy fly.

12. For the most part, these are the only two flies I use for bluegill:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The jitterbee (top) used to be my favorite, though you do get a lot of nibbles on the rubber tail. The past couple years I've been relying on the Improved McGinty. The 'gills shore do love them some McGinty (as do the crappie and perch.)

[​IMG]

13. I use the improved mcginty in trout lakes every so often. I don't know why, but triploids seem to really like it.
    There are a handful of lakes in the Federal Way area with them in it. If I wanted to target them, what part of the lake should I focus on?

14. Oddly, the McGinty was responsible for my best day ever dryfly fishing for trout, alot of them wild. Late August and for some reason there were a ton of yellow jackets in the river. Trout were going ape over them, slashing rises everywhere. More realistic bee patterns weren't getting it done, but I landed over twenty big trout on a lone McGinty I found in my box. I always carry a few now, and I urge others to also.

Gary Knowels likes this.
  15. Works really well tied as a soft hackle wet too!

16. Yesterday I went out for some pond bass and they showed me the door. Pulled out the one weight, tied on one of two flies that catches most everything, and had a great day with 'gills. The fly is simple--#10 short nymph hook, gold bead, orange floss or rib, chartreuse wire, UV crystal flash tail. Great producer for any fresh water fish.

17. Do you tie an underbody, or just the colored chenille?

18. If I'm using floss I want a sparse fly and tie it over one layer of thread. I don't know why the floss works so well but it's better for me than a San Juan Worm. For a fuller, more nymph like look use 3-4 layers of thread underbody, plus you're tying in the UV crystal flash from the head down so that adds to the bulk.

The creator of the original fly using the orange rib is a local guy who created it for Shad. It out fishes anything on our local river for them--I don't carry any other flies for Shad. One day I was out of blood midges and red johns so I tied one on for Cutthroats and they went for it big even with the ridiculous size. Later I used it successfully for brookies, then smallies, and yesterday bluegills. That and a Prince (for Rainbows) are the only point flies I usually use any more. It's called the Bloody Maria and if you Google that there's a pretty good video and Jeff Ching's original recipe too.

19. No underbody, just tie both pieces of chenille in at once and wrap them at the same time. This is the original recipe that I followed, although I've never bothered to use the baitholder hooks, just whatever I have handy.

Patrick Gould likes this.