Blueguills/sunfish

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Steve Vaughn, May 6, 2013.

1. Steve Vaughn

Steve Vaughn Member

Media:
    Anyone have suggestions of where I can find some spring bluegills or sunfish over here on the Eastside? Back in the Northeast we would be searching them out in the lakes I grew up on around this time of year; between spring mayfly hatches, of course.

2. McNasty

McNasty Canyon Lurker

Media:
    fire lake in beuna has big gills and some huge bass

3. Santo Roman

Santo Roman Wine Slut

Home Page:
    Lake Alice on the left of the boat launch has always given me some pretty good sunny and gill fun. I lived in NJ for 5 years so I know what you mean about hitting those guys. Some days I could pull 20 fish an hour so I'd take a few hours off then walk back to the pond for more action.

santo

4. Santo Roman

Santo Roman Wine Slut

Home Page:
    wail on the east side...nope

5. Chad Lewis

Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

Steve, for a quick and easy fix go to the ponds at Hood Park.

Eyejuggler likes this.
  6. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    Give it a try, but my guess is they need another week or two before the become really active. I've had best luck at Stan Coffin lake in Early June.

7. kamishak steve

kamishak steve Active Member

Media:
    Hutchinson & shiner Lks in the seeps are usually a good bet. Long Lake, Upper & lower Goose are also good for bluegill in the Seeps. I've never fished Soda but I hear near the inlet of the canal into the lake is often a good spot for bigger bluegill. Usually you can look in the shallows of any given lake and see the bluegills schooled up in shallow water or against the reeds preparing to spawn. I like the seeps because if you are a little early or late for the spawn on one lake, a 5 minute drive down the road will put you on a lake that may be better timing. Because it usually doesn't take much more than 5 minutes walking the shoreline to see them if they are around, there's no need to load up the boat if you don't see them. This has been working for me the last couple weekends.

8. cmann886

cmann886 Active Member

Chad---I took your advice and enjoyed a quiet evening at hood park...yes it was quiet especially when the fishing got even better. Had fun watching a pair of beaver, wood ducks and a tern successfully plucking three fish out of the lake, not to mention the 2 dozen or so blue gill that could not resist a small pheasant tail and hare's ear nymph. Sometimes it is fun to get action.

Eyejuggler and Chad Lewis like this.