Boa lace system maintenance

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Luke77, Oct 25, 2013.

1. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +714 / 2
    Seems like an ok idea but if I have to be even slightly concerned about the lacing system on my boots, I'll pass.
  2. later_Peter Active Member

Ratings: +26 / 0
    I contacted BOA regarding the ability to tighten my Korkers... they suggested the "laces" were too long. UNDER THEIR WARRANTY (their call) they sent new "laces" (shorter) & the little tool to open the dial.
    I love it when companies stand behind their products)
  3. later_Peter Active Member

I contacted BOA regarding the ability to tighten my Korkers... they suggested the "laces" were too long. UNDER THEIR WARRANTY (their call) they sent new "laces" (shorter) & the little tool to open the dial.
    I love it when companies stand behind their products)
  4. speyfisher Active Member

State of Jefferson U.S.A.
    Ratings: +136 / 3
    I'm on my third pair of Korker boots, all of which have had the BOA laces. I've had to replace a lace now & then, not that difficult a task. And replaced free of charge by Korkers. Thank you Korkers. Same with a wheel, once. They need to be hosed down once in a while (which I am prone not to do) to wash the grit out of the tightening wheel. The little tube thingies, I just push back in with my finger nail. No big deal. I fish five (short) days a week, most all year long.
    Ed Call likes this.
  5. Rob Allen Active Member

Vancouver WA
    Ratings: +367 / 0

three years maybe 75 trips 0 maintenance and still function properly
  6. speyfisher Active Member

State of Jefferson U.S.A.
    Ratings: +136 / 3
    Only 75 trips in three years??? You need to get out more Rob.
  7. Rob Allen Active Member

Vancouver WA

If there was fishing worth doing I would.
    rory likes this.
  8. Peyton00 Active Member

Puyallup, Wa.
    Ratings: +289 / 0

Do you plan on living for 275 yrs. ? This isn't a dress rehearsal.
  9. Rob Allen Active Member

Vancouver WA
    if we are going to talk about how when and why i fish nowadays I' be glad to talk about it, i have a lot to say on the topic but this thread is not the proper place.
  10. orangeradish Bobo approved

Capital City
    Ratings: +484 / 0
    I'm wary of anything that turns something simple like tying boots into a "system" that needs "maintenance". Not knocking them. Just seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
    triploidjunkie and JesseC like this.
  11. Randall Clark Active Member

Orygun
    Ratings: +180 / 0
    I'd concur with that assessment.

That said, I still really like mine and have had zero issues. I have probably 100ish days on mine and they still work as good as new. Are they a little quicker? perhaps, perhaps not...either way, it doesn't really matter.
  12. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +844 / 1
    The only maintenance I've had to do for mine in a year is replace one cable, then clean, dry, and inspect. I replaced more laces on my Simms and Orvis boots in the last five years than I'd care to remember. I do feel like I get a better fit, don't have to fiddle with the laces in the gravel guards, nor do they hold invasive species like fabric laces do. IMHO.

13. Rob Allen Active Member

Vancouver WA
    I'll never have convntional laces ever again.. boas are awesome.
  14. James Waggoner Active Member

wa
    Ratings: +40 / 0
    Mine haven't been holding tight for some time. I'm going to try and clean them as they sound pretty gritty, any advice on how to open the ratcheting dial up with out the special tool?

Have to agree with Rob, these things are awesome. Though they don't get as tights I like I still haven't returned to my laced boots.

James
  15. later_Peter Active Member

I contacted BOA (not Korkers) when I had an issue (they wouldn't tighten up enough). The BOA folks were quick & helpful & sent me a new pair of laces (shorter) with a tool to open that little spinning gadget up. I like the BOA set up (the Korkers on the other hand, weigh a ton compared to other boots... IMO)
  16. later_Peter Active Member

multiple posts unintended... can't find how to delete stuff.
  17. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +706 / 1
    Buy a pair of boots with good old fashion, reliable laces...that's my BOA lace management system.:) When these screw up, there's no camp side/stream side repair. My brother cut his index finger on his boots last summer, on our first stop at Rock Creek, requiring a stop at the store to buy a box of Band-aids and tape to keep re-dressing over the 10 day trip. Besides, this lace system is partly why wading boot prices have gone from high to ridiculous.

Request from me to the wading boot manufacturers: Bring back the old school laces and leave all the new hi-tech stuff for the snow board crowds.

I otherwise don't have much of an opinion on this topic.