boat for Puget Sound

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Kim Hampton, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Kim Hampton

Kim Hampton Not Politically Correct

What's a decent brand of boat/skiff for Puget Sound? Easily trailer-able? 16' for so? Mainly for chasing SRC and resident silvers.

2. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    I've never owned one, but the Valco, I think it's called a Bayrunner 16', looks like a great open center-console aluminum boat for our waters. Nice upturned bow with rails and lots of freeboard. An added bonus is it doesn't require much power to scoot it along, so a 60 hp 4-stroke would be great on it.

There are lots of options and I'd suggest making a list of boats you like and then buy the best used package that falls into your list.

One word of advice is to buy a package that will have good resale with manufacturers people in the NW trust and desire. Same is true for outboards - Go with Yamaha, Honda, Merc and Suzuki for resale value - IMHO.... just in case you want to trade up :)

3. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    seattle boat show, end of january, hold the dates and go shopping.

4. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    There's a used bayrunner for sale on craigs list seattle for 4800 with a pic. Even if you just want to see the pic. Seems like a boat you may be able to pop a jet on and use in rivers as well. At least that's what I dream about while it rains and blows every day here in the 'ham. I swear if I don't see some sun soon either my wife will leave me or I'll kill the dog. I'd hate to lose that dog.
    Manny for sale,
    cds

5. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    17' boston whaler montauk!

6. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
    i think it depends on the type of fishing and where. are you going to be spending the majority of your time fishing the beach areas or in deep water.

for the beach fishing - go with aluminum. the ability to beach your boat and wade is nice. as for the bayrunner, it will get you through anything (i ran an 18' at neah for 2-3 years) but it is not a stable boat for fishing, meaning that it moves when you move. for calmer water look for a flatter bottomed boat with a wider beam. i had a small north river that was great for flyfishing inside hood canal / puget sound. very open and could handle the big wind chop if necessary.

be honest about where the majority of your fishing is going to be and buy a boat for that.... also be advised that once you buy a boat you will immediately wish you had 2-4' more feet. doesn't mean you have to buy it, just be aware that it's likely you will want it. even when i moved up to a 26' almar, i wanted something bigger... boats are evil like that.

chris

7. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Also more horsepower. Every boat I have owned I wanted more ponies.

8. PT

PT Physhicist

All the advice is good. I'd go look at a 16' Duroboat. They're made in Woodinville and are awesome aluminum boats. Slap a Honda or Yamaha on the back and you'll have something you can use for the next 20 years. Also very light and trailerable so you don't need a monster truck. It's at least worth the drive to check 'em out. Every now and then you see one advertised on Craig's List.

9. Kim Hampton

Thanks for all the ideas. Keep um coming. Even though I make my living driving boats I don't know much about the small stuff. You guys are correct....you alway want more after you buy. Horsepower, size or whatever. I just want to have something manageable and handle a bit of the chop Puget Sound can dish out. Anyway keep the ideas coming. It seems like all the Google searches I type in miss a lot of what is out there. Such as the Duroboat which looks to be a good rig. Oh yeah...for all the guys that have boats...be safe.
    Kim

10. hendersonbaylocal

hendersonbaylocal Member

Media:
    Best boat ever! Hose it down when you get home and put it away. Plenty of walkaround space. Unsinkable and indestructable.

And, it does probably 50+ with the 90hp.

11. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Kim,

It mostly depends on you. Some people wouldn't be comfortable going out in Puget Sound in anything less than a 22' Sea Sport, while others are totally fine being out there in an inflatable kayak. So it will come down to being more about what you want than what you need.

I chose a 16' Lund SSV as my all around Puget Sound, Grays Harbor, Columbia River, and river boat. Since I run rivers a lot, I powered mine with a jet. If I was only going to use it in the sound and other deep water, I'd use a 30 or 40 hp 4 stroke. Part of the reasoning behind this boat is that it's easily handled by one man, I can beach it nearly anywhere, I can fish everywhere I want to go, and it requires no special vehicle for towing.

Have fun shopping.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

12. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

Kim:

I use to have a 14' Duroboat and really liked it. It had a pretty deep V-hull so it could take some pretty heavy waves. A 16'er would be even better for Puget Sound safety wise.

If you can, I would get a 4 stroke engine vs a 2 stroke. The 4 strokes get about twice the gas mileage, are much quieter, and no oil fumes.

Roger

13. tythetier

tythetier Fish Slayer

Media:
    I WOULD GO FOR THE WHALER, OR A LUND SKIFF. PEOPLE WOULD TAKE A LUND 15' MILES OFF SHORE UP IN KETCHIKAN. ONE YEAR, A GUY WHO RENTED ONE WOUND UP WINNING THE HALIBUT TOURN. WITH LIKE A 310 POUND FISH.

YOU CAN CUT A WHALER IN HALF AND SHE WILL STILL FLOAT, YOU CAN BEAT THE LUND TO CRAP AND IT WILL BEG FOR MORE.

TY

14. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Media:
    Whaler or Lund -iagree Both are "harder than woodpecker lips" as we used to say in the Corps. Tough as hell. If you have money falling out of your rear end, than Grady White makes a fishing machine. Lots of dinero though. Too much for most anyone I fish with. Coach

15. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

We each address our needs differently and any boat ends up being some sort of compromise. That said I solved my needs with a 16 foot lund Alaskan, powered with a 40hp Yamaha 4 cycle. Has worked well for my fishing in Puget Sound, San Juan Islands, Willapa bay and several lakes.

I really like the extra width that Alaskan provides - made a stable and open fly fishing platform for two. I got a central console and wasn't sure whether I wanted/needed it but have to say it was a wise choice as my back takes a much less beating that with a tiller - an important consideration as we get older. Movable pedestal seats provide options for various fishing applications.

The 40hp pushes the hull at about 28 mph at wide open (5300 rpm) and 20-22 at 4200 rpm. More than enough for my fishing though if you are going to make long runs more horses may be nice. At cruising speed I get about 7 miles/gal. The lighter Aluminum hull (whole package fully load is about 1300 #) let me get by with a smaller outboard and being able to tow the rig with my ranger pickup.

After 2 years of hard use - more than 100 days on the water there still are little that I would change with my set up. Added a good color depth finder, down riggers, electric motor and a few other goodies.

Good luck with your search
    Curt

16. Kim Hampton

Thanks for the info Smalma and everyone else,
    I took a look at some Lunds today at Sound Island Marina. Nice boats but I want to look at the Duro boats before I do anything. I agree, I'd want a steering console. You said yours is a center console. I don't see that option as it looks as if everything is off to the side or can you place it in the center? I know a Boston Whaler is a great boat but I'm not sure if I want to throw that much coin at something realizing I spend over half the year in Alaska working.

Boy you got me thinking when you mentioned Willapa...about how old I'm getting. I grew up in the Grayland/Westport area and started working on the charter boats as a baitboy when I was 12 years old. Myself and my two older brothers ran the things for several years. The two older brothers owned their own. I remember going inside the N. Spit of Willapa close to shore at times and fishing kings. It was great fun when the fish were there but I kind of lost the desire to fish that way (gear instead of flies) after baiting hooks and taking care of tourists that long. Of course we called small boats like a 16' Lund coffins. That was over 25 years ago.

Anyway getting all this information is great and gives a direction to research. That's half the fun.
    Kim

17. livetofish

livetofish Fish to Live

Lund over Duraboat any day. Resale is good and they take a pounding and keep coming back for more (mine's a 1985!).

Also, seriously consider a foot controlled, bow mount saltwater electric motor for working the beach and keeping the boat positioned hands-free in current and/or wind. More casting, less steering; no anchoring means being able to follow the fish if necessary. Remember that on most beaches the cutts are in close to the beach and it doesn't take long to get blown/pushed in too close or out too far.

18. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Kim -
    Sorry I mis-stated the position of the console - it is on the right side. Don't know what the heck I was thinking. Still a nice boat that I'm really enjoying!

Curt

19. Jim Kerr

Jim Kerr Active Member

Media:
    Hey Kim,
    The important part is the motor. I can not stress this enough. All my life I have made my living in small boats one way or another and all I have to say is...Yamaha. Do not compromise on this and I am sure you will be happy with whatever hull you choose.

20. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    yep, i concur on the yamaha engine. every third world location i have fished, that is what you find. bad gas, probably little to no maintenance, keep on tickin'. when reelfast was in the planning phase, almar asked what engines, i said yamaha, they said '...the best choice from their point of view, but i could specify anything i wanted...' i have to say, when i start these 150s, i actually have to go to the stern to make sure the pee stream is there, thats how quiet they are, amazing.