Boat Necessities or Tricks. Add Your Suggestions.

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by South Sound, Apr 18, 2006.

1. In another post the coversation about boats came up and I was thinking about all the tricks and knowledge we all have stumbled upon or have been handed down from the generation before.

Some that I have learned or figured out are the following.

Seat: Attach the soft folding stadium seats to the floatation seat so you have a back.

Toilet: Use a 2 inch or if you are cocky 3 inch wide tube. Cut one side at an angle and you have a launching toilet.

Water Proof Tackle Box: Coolers make great dry boxes.

Boat Repair: Bondo or Fiber Strand or any other auto body shop body filler is a great option to repair worn areas on metal or fiber glass boats.

Extra: Always Carry a Sheer Pin and Pliers in a Ziplock Bag.

Stripping Basket: Shucks has Portable Garbage (retractable). Add plywood and weedwacking line drilled into the wood and you have a boat stripping basket.

Silencing Boats: Get restaurant non skid rubber mats and you have a non skid and quieter boat.

Radios: Pick up a water proof shower radio, just incase you need to reconnect to the outside world.

Prop Torque: Get a Stablizer and never lock in the accelerator. I know personally. There is a reason my boat is called Flipper. Also never let your wife drive if she does not know what she is doing.

2. How long do you recommend?

3. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

And the words 'launching toilet' brings to mind an interesting mental picture!

4. 2-3 feet. It depends how far you want lean toward the side of the boat.

Projectial Toilet also looks good from far away. My tube is black, which may look weird from a distance since I am white. Always keeping them on their toes.

5. Stop! Stop! Oh it hurts!ROFL!

6. Every man must bring his own relief tube. Mine just isn't up for grabs. I mean, those things are personal!
    However, feel free to take a swig from that there jug of "apple cider.":rofl: ptyd

Folding lawn chair for real comfort in a small boat, mainly for in lakes and lower rivers, but ok anywhere as long as the water's surface is reasonably calm.

A long pole suitable for poling thru the shallows while standing...only when your going somewhere where that would be useful.

Duct tape or waterproof plastic tape. Aluminum tape for my aluminum canoe. Also some waterproof epoxy (Marine Tex) that can be applied to wet surfaces or even under water...works like bondo, but better for marine repairs. I've also used an aluminum epoxy "dough" that can be applied to wet surfaces, to patch a gash in my hull.

Lantern, in case it gets dark.

Must have binoculars!

If you don't have far to go, use an electric motor instead of a gas outboard. Bring an extra fully charged battery.

Knife on a lanyard open and ready to cut the anchor rope ASAP...necessary in a drift boat. Also a spare oar in the drift boat.

I'm glad you mentioned the stripping basket...I've got to start using mine more often in my boats, as otherwise i find myself stepping on my flyline.

Jimbo

7. 1) For us fly flingers I think floor boards to give us a level casting platform is a must. The floor should also be covered with carpet.

2) A waterproof box for a basic tool kit (wrenches, screw driver, blubs and wiring for trailer lights, etc).

3) Portable depth finder - currently I'm using one of those Hmmingbirds with a transducer that attaches via suction cup.

4) Some sort of ice chest for necessities.

5) Remove/cover as many as possible those aggravating spots that catch the fly line.

6) Some sort of rod holder - currently I like a drift-master that attaches to a small base on the gunnel - see #5.

Tight lines
    Curt

8. Yes, iagree I usually take my Humminbird portable (with suction cup transducer) when I fish lakes, especially impoundments, as it lets you find the old creek beds, which can be productive spots.

I swear that if there is anything that can possibly hook your line and ruin a cast, it will. Murphy is at his best here. Even when I think I've cleared the area, my line will reach out and find some place to hang up on...so I'm going to remember to take my stripping basket with me in my boats.

Jimbo

9. BS, just piss over the side

10. A sponge for cleaning up the blood from ripping gills out of salmon and rockfish. Blood sucks to cleanup when it's dry. Another useful tool I use is a piece of rigid wire from a wire coathanger to jam into the water cooling outlet in my outboard when it gets chalked full of kelp and the motor overheats. Zip-ties come in handy to.

11. that coat hanger will double as a good spare fish stringer as well

12. Great thread. There are some good ideas here.

The piss tube is so obvious, don't know how I missed it. A similar tube is recommended by Streeks as an oar handle recepticle when at anchor. The idea is to slip the handles in opposite ends of a +-2' long tube so that your oars are out of the water. Personally, I tried it and found it a pain in the ass but some of you might find it useful.

I don't often rip gills anymore but I use a large sponge for cleaning/drying the last water out of the boat (a woody so it has frames to work around). Also use a laundry detergent bottle with the bottom cut out as a bailer.

Most obvious is spare drain plug however I'd add spare oarlocks too. I somehow got to the river once and realized my oarlocks were back in the garage. They can break too though.

I do lakes occasionally and have a super slick graphite bottom (on the boat). A moderate to heavy wind is a royal pain in the butt especially with the kids (who can't yet control their lines well). I keep a small sea anchor in the boat box when lake fishing so I can slow the boat down while drifting.
    Also handy on lakes is a spare anchor (typically smaller) for chiro fishing.

Standard gear for ANY gas/prop powered boat is several spare shear pins, cotter pins, and ideally a spare prop. And the minimal tools needed.

ROPE. Damn nice to have enough extra rope to pull your (or another's) boat out of a tough spot. I'd recommend two 15' to 20' lengths, one as a painter and the second for tying up the stern. Have another long hunk (40' to 60') in the box and splice a loop in one end of each.

Bottle opener mounted to the gunnel is a nice touch.

My spare oar is a 2 piece Cataract "break down" model and I mounted 1 piece on each side of the aft portion of the boat, just below the gunnel with C shaped rubber mounts. They are pretty much out of the way but right there. When you need it, you might need it NOW.

May chime in again later if something I missed comes up but the boss is calling.

13. Another add on is the "pocket puller" (or pulley) that mounts in the oar lock. Can't say I've used mine much but it's a useful tool, particularly if crabbing.

Another obvious one is a dry bag. I use an REI model and store the PFDs in it when not boating and extra clothing or gear while boating.

Something else I've seen pics of but have not used is a seat mounted fly vest type thingy. They are made specifically for seats and are placed on the back of the seat in front of you, the oarsman. If anyone has tried one I'd like to hear a report.

14. I have fished from an 8' pram for years and have found a liquid laundry soap bottle in the boat (well cleaned out to remove residual detergent) will save you a lot of anguish while on the lake. It makes a great porta-potty.
    As well, an additional set of oar locks added to the aft 1/3rd of the boat will hold the oars in position down the side of the boat and out of the way while anchored up.

15. When fishing on Puget Sound, I always carry a cell phone and VHF radio in separate water proof containers. You never know when you might need some help.

Roger

16. Throw in a slingshot and dog food for jet skis, low holers and feeding ducks.
    With a big bag you can even start a hatch.

17. I guess a 5 gal. bucket is so obvious that everybody has one. Holds the anchor/misc on the way, and becomes the garbage bucket on the water.

Bungee cords! (Holds the bucket in a corner)

18. Duh.........Whiskey and a cooler full of The Natural. Natural ice that is.ptyd

19. you guys obviously have more storage in your boat than I do.

--hutch

20. btw: Joshua...it's Milwaukee's Best Ice (the Beast)...not Natties...