Boat/pram of Choice?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by mastercaster, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Slipstream Member

Goldendale, WA
    Ratings: +20 / 0
    I bought a Klamath 10' Jac boat last year. It is actually 10'6" in length and the bottom is 38' wide. Klamath boats are all welded. Most of the other brands of flat bottom jon boats are 32" wide, only 10" long and are riveted. I have another jon boat, a 10' Crestliner, and it fits inside the Klamath. You might check the Klamath boat website. SS
  2. Michael Nelson Old And In The Way

San Francisco, CA, USA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I have one too and it's for sale. Unfortunately it is in Burney, CA right now. I love the boat, but I'm getting too old to haul it up and down the stairs where I live, so I'm switching to a pontoon boat.
  3. Mike McAvoy olddog22202

Cathlamet, WA and Sunny AZ
    Yellowlab,
    Neat looking boat. I dunna understand the purpose of the brace on the back. I have a little Clack pram gathering moss in the blackberry bushes. I think I might be missing a good bet.
    Mike
  4. Strike Zone Member

Castle Rock, Wash.
    Ratings: +25 / 0
    Gatorator;
    Hi. I'm a new member today. My name is Denny. I go by Strike Zone. I see you like inflatables for fly fishing. I've never owned one before, but I'm seriously thinking about one. Was wondering if you could give me some advise? I normally fish by myself, but the wife comes along to keep me company once in awhile. I do fish chronies in May/June up in BC quite a bit so I would be doing some double anchoring at that time of year. But mostly I do alot of sloooow winddrifting with dragon fly nymphs,leeches,wooley buggers, ect. It's about 20% double anchoring and 80% wind drifting throughout the year. I had a stroke so my balance isn't very good for my age. I like the idea of a quiet boat and being able to stand up safely. I have two elect. motors. One is a 46 lb thrust and the other is a 90 lb thrust which requires two batteries hooked together. I want a boat that is as light as possible. The 10 foot pram I'm considering weighs 87 pounds. How is the inflateable for rowing? Is there any paticular brand you like best? How do they hold up as far as getting a fly hooked into them? Are they comfortable to fish out of for a whole day at a time? Could I get one stuffed into the trunk of a Toyota Corolla sedan? How long a boat would I have to get to be able to fish another person with me if I wanted to, and woulld they be comfortable? Do you know about what one would cost on average? I'm trying to find something that I can put in my car's trunk that's a good boat to fish out of so I won't have to drive my big pickup up to BC to go fly fishing. Boy, I'm just full of questions huh.
    Thank you for you input
    Very much appreciated
    Denny
  5. Duane J Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    MaserCaster: I've been researching prams for some time. I haven't laid down the cash but have just about made up my mind to do business with Spring Creek Prams, located in Tonasket, WA. They are a sponsor for this site. Take a look see!! Duane J
  6. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,052 / 1
    I have the Hopper II and it is truly an incredible boat but I don't think you could fit it comfortably in the back of your truck. I think they sell a 10' two seater though. Great stable boats.

Ira..
  7. sportsman Active Member

Kirkland, wa., 98034.
    Ratings: +78 / 0
    Denny, welcome to the site and don't worry about the questions...somebody will have an answer...even if it's not what your looking for! You opened up a 1 & 2 year old thread, so you might not get a lot of feedback. Use the search function, see what's been talked about already, then narrow your criteria a little bit and start a post along those lines, you'll probably get information specific to your needs. Fred.
  8. Strike Zone Member

Castle Rock, Wash.
    Thanks Fred. I appreciate your comments. I'll see if I can figure out what a search function is and go from there.
    Denny
  9. Jim Wheeler Full time single dad and pram builder

Tonasket, WA
    I have a question for the Koffer owners. Now, I know Joe Koffler and have actually sent him business when my prams didn't fit someones needs. So, don't beat me up here. When we went into business we too looked at the exemption but opted to add flotation to our boats in interest of safety. I know all about the "why's" of not adding it with regards to river use but if we, as manufacturers know for a fact that the pramwill be used on stillwaters don't we owe it to our customers to put it in? Kofflers prams should have a Coast Guard sticker on the stern that, because Koffler opted to stick with building their boats for river use, says, in part "to be used in shallow water, not far from shore". Although river prams, such as Koffler and Endure are, in fact exempt from US Coast Guard required flotation and without it you gain valuable floor space in such a small area my question are; Do they offer US Coast Guard flotation as an option? If so do your prams have it? How much did it cost as an option? Is it in the bow and stern or under the seats? Is there a capacity sticker on the stern that reflects the addition of flotation. Thanks for the help. Jim Wheeler, Spring Creek Prams
  10. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +46 / 0
    I have boat envy . . .:-( I want one of these.
  11. bigfun4me Team Infidel

Seattle, Wa, USA.
    I own a Koffler Wideback Pram built in the last two years and it does carry the sticker "should not be used in deep water or far from shore". I am not aware of any floatation options offered by Joe.

To be fair, it should be noted that I fished out of a 10 ft. Hopper II for several years. I purchased the Koffler, in part, because of it's increased stability on stillwater.
  12. Dig Dug New Member

washington
  13. Jim Wheeler Full time single dad and pram builder

Tonasket, WA
    bigfun4me,

Thanks for the info. I though Joe did offer it as an upgrade/option but maybe not. I know the WideBack is a bit wider but also about 50-70# heavier. I get into the discussion a lot during the course of the year about weight -vs- stability. You could build two boats, the same boat, just one of them being 50-70 heavier and the heavier boat would feel more stable. Weight equals stability. It takes longer to get the mass moving. Jim
  14. Jim Mcallister AKA stillwater guy

Olympia, WA
    I have been researching small boats for fly fishing (stable and small) to go inside my van. I decided to build my own. It is 7.5 ft long & 4 ft wide, weighs about 6o lbs. Made of all wood. I have attached pole holders to troll floating or intermediate lines. First trip out, was at Prices Lake near Hoosport. I carried on back approx. 150 yards downhill w/o stopping. I have been asked by fly club members to build more. Looking for interest and input. I needed a boat to stand up and cast and stretch AND stay dry-something you can't do in a pontoon boat. Very stable. In a pinch, can carry gear, wife, and a small child. I am considering building a 10' version. I have been told a good price range would be approx. $400-500 for the 7.5'. In mine, I have pole holders, windless anchor and pully with mahogney trim. I am considering making storage spot in front. They will be painted with aryclic urethane automotive paint. A 68 yo club member who purchased this model was able to launch and reload the pram on his own. The pram can be tested on the small lake I live on. Appreciate any input or suggestions. I will have photos to post at a later date.
  15. yellowlab Active Member

In a van... down by the river, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 8
    So Jim, would a light boat not be stable? What about the beam size? And footprint on the water? Seems like less displacement of water equals more stability. I don't own Kofflers or Springcreeks anymore. Both good boats in my book but I'm a bit confused by the statement of weight on a boat improving stability.
  16. ryfly Addicted to flyfishing

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    I would be interested in a $400-$500 7.5 foot pram. Send some pictures and maybe we can do some business.

Ryan
  17. Jim Wheeler Full time single dad and pram builder

Tonasket, WA
    You need to separate "feel" with "reality". The reality is that both boats would be just as stable by definition. However, the lighter boat would "feel" more stable because you would be able to move less mass faster with the same energy (trying to rock the boat port and starboard while stading). With the same energy, in a heavier boat things would move slower, therefore it would "feel" more stable. As we get older "we" don't move as fast as we used to either, which usually isn't taken into account and should be. I can put a 30 year old guy and then a 60 year old guy in the same boat. One will think it's stable, the other won't. It's not the boat. What about beam size. Again, you could build two boats, both with a 40" bottom widths. One with a 50" beam, one with a 60" beam. They're the same with regards to stability. It's what is "in" the water that counts (in most cases). That answers your "footprint" question too. Displacement, on it's own equates more to the weight than the design although they do both make a difference. The more mass in the water, the more friction against the water and also the chine design aids in the stability as well. A hard chine as opposed to a rounded chine will be far more stable. Kind of like a ball in the water against a cube shape. The cube is far more difficult to get from one side onto another whereas the ball has virtually no resistance to rolling. Hull shape also has a part in stability which is (I am assuming here) why Koffler went with a wider stern. If you look down in a drift boat or most white water prams they're narrow at both the bow and stern. Think of the shape as hammock. I saw a guy put a 20hp outboard on a drift boat up a Sekui (twice actually). Both guys were going 15 maybe and both of them (two different years up there) went to pick up something off the floor or a seat and turned a bit too sharp. Both of them corkscrewed the boats into the water because there was nothing in the way of a chine in the stern of the boat to push against the force of the outboard. So, a lot of probably worthless information for you here but interesting. You just don't throw numbers in the air and build a boat. It really is a bit more difficult than that. Maybe that's why Smith Brothers have been in business haven't changed their design in oh, 60 years maybe.
  18. Jim Mcallister AKA stillwater guy

Olympia, WA
    [IMG] Please send comments and let me know if the pics show up okay
  19. Jim Mcallister AKA stillwater guy

Olympia, WA
    Thoughts and comments on this pram
    [IMG]
  20. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +237 / 0