Boat question...

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Chad Lewis, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +153 / 0
    Anybody have one of these, or even played around with one? I'm looking for a new fishing vessel and this looks like it's on my short list. http://www.wavewalk.com/
  2. Sloan Craven Active Member

NoSho, ma
    Ratings: +30 / 0
    The draft is something to consider if your going to take it down rivers. You won't be able to access as much water as a pontoon. But it looks like a fun little rig.
  3. Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

Mount Vernon, WA
    Thanks for the input Sloan. According to their website the draft with 260 pounds onboard is only 6 inches. Watching the videos on the site seem to confirm this. Me and all my gear is about 220, so a little less than six inch draft. My pontoon is definitely less draft, but do you really need less than 6 inches of draft to get everywhere you want on a river? I'm not being a smartass; I've never floated a river before and would like to know.

My criteria for a new fishing boat, in order of importance: 1) Be able to stand and cast comfortably. 2) Be able to row/paddle looking in the direction of travel, because I'd like to see where I'm going and I'd like to be able to get there at something more than a fast walking pace (those are my two biggest complaints with the pontoon). 3) Portability. I like that the wavewalker weighs about the same as my pontoon, and I'd like to avoid getting a trailer if I can.

Of course any and all suggestions are welcome from you experienced boat guys.

Ideally I'd like to have a boat to fit every fishing situation (including overnight trips and rock-starring) but I only have storage for one or two smallish boats. Not to mention finances to buy. The wavewalker will check in at about $1300 when shipped and everything. Ouch.
  4. Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

Mount Vernon, WA
    So no one has a wavewalker? Maybe I'll break some new ground in the Pacific Northwest!

Seriously, it looks like the perfect fly fishing craft to me. Some of you guys try and tear it apart for me because I'm not so boat smart and I've bought the hype on their website.
  5. hikepat Patrick

Des Moines, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    Looks interesting but think what you are going to do with it. As someone who has fished for many years from Kayaks they are great for fishing the salt and lakes from. They also work well on rivers if you are using it just to get from fishing spot to fishing spots. What they do not do well at is fishing while floating down the river because you need to keep the paddle pretty much in your hands at all time not allowing you to handle the fly rod. A pontoon or watermaster on the other hand you can use your feet when in slower water to control the craft or to just stand on the bottom from while you fish. A kayak must be beached each time you want to stop in the river an fish.
    Another peice of advice is to try one out before you buy it to see how you like it.
  6. Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

Mount Vernon, WA
    Thanks Hikepat - that's the kind of stuff I was hoping to hear. I haven't floated a river or thought through exactly how that would work. Good point about not being able to stop in the river. You're supposed to be able to put an anchor/s on the boat, so that might be a partial solution. The paddle would be more problematic though, and not just with the rod. If there's much current it might be a pain to deal with the paddle and trying to get an anchor out too. What do you think? Necessity in the mother of invention though.... Stuff to think about.

I'd like to try one out, but it seems that no one has a wavewalker, and the company have no dealers. All sales are through the website and over the phone. If I get one I will probably have to go in cold, which I'm not too happy about. I like that it solves everything I don't dig about the pontoon, and even adds a couple things I like more. More storage, no inflation to worry about and even more mobility in some ways. And to me, being able to stand and cast is big. I'm not a bad caster or anything, but I know that will open a lot of oppurtunity. Especially when sight fishing.