Boats VS Beach Method of Choice

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by South Sound, Jun 4, 2006.

1. South Sound

South Sound Member

The debate continues. The feet vs. the prop.

I was discussing this with Nick as to which method was more effective. We fell on the side of the boat but what are your reasons.

Benefits of Boat
    1.) Covering ground. You can cover far more ground and in turn more fish.
    2.) Private Property Does not Exist in a Boat.
    3.) Fishing Deep
    4.) Fishing "unpressured" waters
    5.) Horizontal Presentation over points
    6.) No broken hooks on the beach behind you.
    7.) Place for all your crap
    8.) You can now reach those out of reach drop offs
    9.) NO PICKET FENCES
    10.) Temp in the Boat is warmer than in the Canal or Sound (50 F Average.)
    11.) There seems to be more fish caught.

Any Others?

Benefits of Beach
    1.) Fishing very shallow
    2.) Swing Flies into eddies
    3.) You can drive to another beach
    4.) No flushing motor
    5.) No Gas prices except if you drive all over the place
    6.) No casting with a partner in the boat (ie. Cast, Duck, Partner Cast, then both strip in line.

Any Others?

2. TomB

TomB Active Member

i fish alot more on foot because i no longer have easy access to a boat. I think fishing from a boat is ultimately more effective though.
    -T

3. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    The boat is overall the best IMO. Trolling flies out of the boat is probably the best advantage. You can cover miles of water if you want. I use my boat to access spots and then get out and cast from shore.
    I know first hand that it is a pain having 2 people casting from the boat. I learned how to release on my back cast and cast backwards when My friends are onboard to maximize the distance between the lines.
    Chris

4. Porter

Porter Active Member

Boat is best but I think time is a big issue on many fishing days. I might have a four hour window and I can get in a decent morning or evening in of fishing at a local beach by foot...as opposed to spending a great amount of time with the logistics of using the boat.
    Full day = boat
    4-5 hours or less = foot

5. livetofish

livetofish Fish to Live

Boat for access, then get out and fish the beach. I just feel more aware, connected and present when I can give 100% attention to the water, the fish and my line without worrying about messing around with the engine, etc. That's one reason I've stuck by my old 14ft Lund when a bigger boat would be more practical from the nautical standpoint... I can beach it anywhere, and if the tide leaves me dry it's relatively easy to drag back to the water.

When fishing from the boat, I find trying to stay close enough to shore to fish the best water a real pain... it really distracts from why I'm out in the first place. And trolling, while an effective searching method, isn't exactly what it's all about for me. Okay, I'll say it... trolling isn't really flyfishing, is it?

All that being said, I'm looking into a foot controlled saltwater electric trolling motor, which should greatly reduce the frustration of maneuvering the boat and allow more attention on fishing. If I get one, I'll probably do more fishing from the boat, but will still gravitate whenever possible to the shore.

Cheers

6. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I like them both, and it depends on how I feel on any given day. The boat gives you freedom, while the beach offers sweet simplicity - even better is finding a beach you can fish w/out wearing waders. All I need is my rod, stripping basket, and a pocket full of flies.

They're both good and they both work.

7. tomc

tomc Member

I row a lot in the South Sound, Hood Canal and the lakes. My little boat gets shoved from my pickup to the water all the time. I fish the shallows as well as the deep water along tide rips where the fish feed. I cover as much water as the tide will provide for a return trip to my access point (that can be 2 to 12 hours). And troll? yes! locating fish without a prop means trolling, that's all there is to say. When I locate fish then I target fish and the casting starts.
    I have a few motor boats (big and small) and fly fishing is just a pain in the butt from a boat with a railling. Oars are quiet and my success is very good. Fishing from a rowboat gives me time to see where the fish are feeding in the area better than blasting along in the Whaler wondering what I passed up for where I hope there are fish. I find that the pressure on the area that I can reach with oars is non-existant, and the rewards of not having to hear a motor is priceless.
    Fishing from shore in a rowboat is a matter of grounding your boat and casting. I suppose one could get off their ass and walk the shore, but the fish respond so much better to a fly the is heading away from shore that you shore guys walking will never realize until you try it from a boat. That's my 2 bits from someone who has both and prefers one.
    Tom C.

8. gigharborflyfisher

gigharborflyfisher Native Trout Hunter

Media:
    Home Page:
    I would put a boat a better bet if you have all day to be fishing, but I usually end up with a few hours here and there, which leads to far more wade fishing. I would say that I tend to catch more fish while using a boat, but at times this is not true...

9. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Media:
    Home Page:
    I think that they are both mutually exclusive, as well as mutually sustaining realities. One compliments the other. In a day of fishing one may use the boat for travel and access, as well as directly fishing out of the boat. And one may also park the boat and wade to fish.

"Covering a lot of ground/water" can be a double edged sword as sometimes it may be better to work a local area thoroughly, for a longer period of time and tide change, and let the fish move into the area. If you have a boat there is always the temptation or impatience to "get going and find the fish". That may work out positively some of the time, but it can also work against you. But maybe that's just fishing too.

Of course it helps to have a boat to get out a few hundred yards, or even a few miles, from shore- into casting distance of those surface busting, slashing fish, feeding on *leaping bait balls that we all hope and pray for.

I love boats, been playing with them all of my life. I had my first boat when I was about five years old. And I have had a long lineage of exotic wrecks ever since. Im restoring an old surf dory now for rowing the summer beaches here.

(You oil Barons out there can kiss my ass!)

But most of my best fishing is done wading knee deep on the beaches; skittering a greased muddler on the dark water's slick surface, beneath long shadows, watching the sun set on the Olympic Mountains, seeing the warm red alpineglow on the western slopes of Mt Ranier, and maybe getting "the take" from that one, big slashing bright fish in shallow fast water.

*"Leaping Bait Balls"! :eek:

10. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    I concur with Ibn. Some beaches and tides fish better using one than the other.

11. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Take a good look at how the bass boys setup thier boats. Remote controlled bow mounted trolling motors can free up you hands and allow you to position a boat to fish just about anywhere.

12. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    my underconstruction CC boat is going to be outfitted with a minkota 24v. this will also have the remote fob controller so i can control this engine from anywhere in the boat. way better in my opinion that a gas kicker.