Bobbin advice sought

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by Olive bugger, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +440 / 0
    I just placed an order for some Pearsall's Gossamer Silk Thread. I need a small bobbin with a ceramic
    tube to use, for some Soft Hackle flies. Anybody got a good source or recommendation? I have a small
    metal tube bobbin but I prefer the ceramic for obvious reasons.

Thanks for your help.
  2. Jack Devlin Active Member

Western Washington, Puget Sound area
    Ratings: +1,011 / 1
    Charlie,
    I tie a lot of soft hackles with Pearsall's. I'm assuming you have the small spools. The bobbin (got a few) I've been using for 30 years is a Matarelli Midge bobbin. It is steel tube but I've never had a problem. It fits the Pearsalls spools perfectly. I don't know who makes a ceramic tube bobbin that will fit those small spools. Check Griffin, Renzetti, Tiemco etc. You really don't need a ceramic tube. The flies are small, the pressure on the thread is light and you're not using that much thread per fly. A flared (both ends) bobbin would work nicely, too. Feathercraft sells the Matarelli bobbin $20. Hope this is of some help. Photo of my Matarelli bobbin.
    Jack
    PS On my way out to chase some cutthroats! DSC04173.JPG
  3. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Thanks for the info, Jack. I too have a couple of Matarelli midge bobbins, if I can find them, but I thought that the ceramic would be better. Guess I over thought the whole process. I will dig mine out and use them. You saved me a few bucks. If I ever meet you, I will buy you a libation of your choice. Thanks again.

Good luck on your quest for the cutthroat.
  4. Dave Evans Active Member

E. WA / N ID
    Ratings: +106 / 0
    Jack, very nice ties! Dave
  5. Jack Devlin Active Member

Charlie,
    Got one small one.
    If you also use the Pearsall's silk floss, it too comes on the small spools. Some guys use the Matarelli midge bobbin for the floss too. If it develops a groove or rough edge it will surely show up on the floss. I guess it would be ok. I use a flared-on-both-ends mini bobbin that I got years ago. Don't know who made it.
    Jack
  6. Jack Devlin Active Member

Dave,
    Thanks for your nice comment.
    I just love making (and using) the soft hackles. Sometimes I'll just tie up a whole bunch.
    Jack
  7. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    I can see why. They are fun to tie and one of the really good flies.
    I find them easy to fish too. It saved the day for me at a Canadian lake one year. Only fish I caught that day was on a Partridge and Orange. In fact it was on the lake in my avatar.
  8. Brian Thomas Active Member

Kamloops B.C
    Ratings: +122 / 0
    Tunkwa ?
  9. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Tranquille.

We got there right after ice out and on a full moon. The lake looked like it was raining with all the sippers. Must have been a BWO hatch. Next day, you almost had to pry their mouth open and put the hook inside to get a bite. BUT IT WAS A FUN TRIP......
  10. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA
    Ratings: +296 / 0
    I transfer mine to a standard bobbin
    never been able to find a small ones
    know where to look now
  11. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +249 / 1
    Wasatch makes a Mini bobbin as well as a Micro bobbin. The micro is specifically sized for Pearsalls spools. Both mini and micro are ceramic tipped although I don't think that makes much difference as a well made metal tube works just as well.

http://www.eflytyer.com/tools/wasatch.html

TC
    oldgoat03 likes this.
  12. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Thanks for the information. I will order one from him. Not a bad price for that tool.
  13. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Well, I tried to order the bobbin from eflytyer.com but I could not get the order function to work. I finally got in touch with Wasatch directly and ordered one of the ceramic bobbins. In the meanwhile, I found my small bobbin from years ago. So I will have two, one ceramic and one steel. I got the silk in so I will be tying some Partridge and Orange, Partridge and Olive and Partridge and scarlet. And of course, partridge and yellow. :D