Bob's new rod

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Mike Monsos, Dec 21, 2010.

1. I just finished up a new rod for my good friend Bob. The rod's taper is a Dickerson 7613 LT 7'6" 5wt 2/2. The only commercial components on the rod are the guides and hook keeper. Everything else is custom made. As soon as Bob and I can get together we'll test cast it for the first time.

Mike

2. That looks beautiful, Mike! Lucky Bob.

3. Fantastic looking rod Mr. Mike. I love the contrasting dark hardware/wraps to the light cane. I hope the in hand testing exceeds all expectations.

4. Yes indeedy, Sneedy! It's a beaut!!:thumb:

5. Beautiful rod Mike, absolutely beautiful!

6. Mike, another fabulous rod! Great job on the components. The ferrules you made are a unique design I haven't seen before - very attractive and functional looking.

Tom

7. Sweet looking rod. I was going to ask about the ferrules also. Like the brass insert in contrast to the sleeve. Beautiful reel seat as well with some nice shaping at the front of the foot indentation.

Rob

8. Beautiful, do you need any more friends?
    Bob is a lucky guy.

9. Awesome looking rod Mike-great skill and craftsmanship! Rick

10. Thanks for all the compliments guys!

"Sweet looking rod. I was going to ask about the ferrules also. Like the brass insert in contrast to the sleeve."

Actuall I make my ferrules and reel seat hardware out of solid brass round stock. I give everything but the slide area of the ferrules two to three coats of Brownells Oxpho Blue to give it the dark tone. I personally like the look of the combination with the dark titanium guides.

Mike

11. Mike, that rod's just too good to be true! I need a drool-proof keyboard.

12. Is it too late to change my name to Bob?

13. No, It's never too late to change your name to Bob. And i couldn't think of any better reason to do so.
    @Mike,
    thanks for posting the pix. Very nicely done!

14. Beautiful rod, Mike. I really prefer dark components. Is Bob the same Bob I know from the club? If so, maybe he can bring it to the January meeting.
    Cliff

15. That is the "Bob", you can ask him and see what he thinks.

Mike

16. "Lucky Bob" here...

I am the proud owner of the new custom rod Mike described above. I echo everyones comments regarding it's beauty. Mike is an amazing craftsman and his attention to detail is second to none.

Mike was kind enough (a cleaver plot) to allow me to try a few of his rods last year. Of course once I tried them I knew I had to have one. Our good buddy, Kent Lufkin also let me try some of his bamboo rods for comparison over the summer. Looking back I'm thinking they were in cahoots and knew they'd hook me into bamboo. I was originally enthralled with Kent's Leonard Duracane "755" and Mike was willing to build one for me. I tend to be a bit deliberate in decisions like this so took my time, tried several different rods. After fishing Mike's Dickerson taper I knew I had found "the one". I liked everything about it. The feel, weight, balance and action. I swear that sweet rod actually made me a better caster (no small task).

Since making the decision to go for a custom rod Mike has been great about engageing me in any decisions and keeping me in the loop with frequent e-mail updates (with photos). Mike even allowed me to come watch (& drink beer) whenever I had time. Waiting for the rod to be complete has truly made this a special Christmas for me. I am especially proud of the fact that Mike makes nearly all his components.

I just picked it up last night and due to holday time constraints haven't had a chance to cast it much less fish it but will happily share those experiences once I do.

Everything about this rod is special to me. The fact that it was made for me by my good friend Mike Monsos is the best feature of all!

Thanks my friend
    "Lucky Bob"

17. Cliff

Yes I will bring it to the January HL mtg and may even let you hold it :O)

Bob

18. bitteroot

I bought that J.W.Y. Beaudex from you for this rod. It looks great and balances it nicely. Now I just need to find an extra spool.

Thanks again
    Bob

19. I can't wait to see the rod and reel paired up! I think it will look and perform great! Congrats!

20. Congratulations Bob! And I usually opt for a second reel so I don't have to worry about the grease on the spare spool traveling to the rest of my gear. Besides, you know you want one...:)