Bogey and Calawah

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by jason.allen, Dec 14, 2012.

1. jason.allen

jason.allen Member

I was out there last weekend and I hear two different stories. First I heard that a bacteria wiped out the hatchery fish for the Calawah and then I also heard that it was fish on the Bogey but WDFW ended up buying hatchery fish from the tribe. Anyone have any insight on this?

2. Andrew Lawrence

Andrew Lawrence Active Member

3. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    it will be interesting to see how the lack of hatchery stock will affect the returns of wild steelhead in the years to come, ie the wild smolt from this year not having as much competition this year may increase the number of returning adults a few years down the line. Its probably something that the should see as an incedental or potential study in disguise.

4. Cruik

Cruik Active Member

If they were going to replace the dead IHN smolts with other stocks, I wish they would have pulled them from the Elwha plants.

5. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    wasn't the elwha tribe trying to stock the river with chamber creek stock, if so I'm glad they didn't go that route. I read somewhere that they were fighting the tribe over the matter and biologist were advocating for the river to go strictly wild. Afterall how often does a dam get taken out on such an amazing system, and they can always start hatchery programs in the future if the "going wild" idea doesn't work. once the stocking starts you can't really take it back.

6. shawn k

shawn k Member

lets clarify a few misconceptions. The Adult fish hatchery and wild came in hot for the pathogen that causes IHN
    but none of the fish had the virus. They destroyed the adults (hatchery) and Wild broodstock for the snyder creek program. Tne they got eggs from the makah hatchery on the Hoko river. The Hoh tribe has gone to an integrated program for hatchery fish using Hoh river stock.

Jim Kerr and Andrew Lawrence like this.
  7. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

What are the preferred gauge height and water flows to fish these two rivers? Please PM if you feel so.

Thanks,
    TR

8. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Bogachiel becomes fishable when the gage height is 29.0 or less according to drift fishermen. I'm not certain about how high it can be and fly fish effectively. Calawah fishes at 1,300 cfs, but wading can be difficult in prime pools even at 850 cfs. YMMV.

Sg

9. shawn k

shawn k Member

I have caught fish swinging flies on the Bogie when it is 31 ft and higher. I think it fishes better when it is that high because the fish are closer to the bank.
    Later in the year it runs clearer when it is high.

10. fifafu

fifafu Guest

I lived in Woodland for couple of summers in the 90's and the old timers claimed the Toutle fish were using rivers like the Cowlitz or Lewis until the Toutle became viable again. If that could be true that 10 generations of Toutle fish spawn in other rivers but carry over the instinct to return to the Toutle how can we think that a Hoko smolt planted in the Bogey won't just return to the Hoko?

If you plant 1000 Skamania fish in New Zealnd is there any chance one might find it's way back? Nothing would surprise me.

11. PT

PT Physhicist

The harbor seal at the hatchery hole on the Bogachiel looked fat and happy. F'er followed me as I rowed up the Dimmel drift and wouldn't leave me alone.

12. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
    It would make sense if the Hoko was seeing large returns of hatchery fish, but....

Hoko Emergency Rule