Boise area info needed

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Bill Aubrey, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

My son will be on a temporary assignment in Boise from the end of October thru November 22d. He's planning to bring his fly rod. Any thoughts and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. He'll have a rental car so he can get around, and I don't know the Boise area. Thanks, Guys.

2. jake-e-boy

jake-e-boy Banned or Parked

Boise River downtown and then also henrys fork, a trib. of the snake. not really sure on much else, unless he wants to drive north into the panhandle and fish the st joe or n fork of the cda

3. GAT

GAT Active Member

A lot of fly anglers from Boise frequently fish the Owyhee River in Oregon... actually, more guys from Boise fish the Owyhee than guys in Oregon. For me and most... it's too far away, but it isn't much of a drive from Boise for some big browns.

http://www.owyheeriverguideservice.com/

4. Jim Hagenau

Jim Hagenau Member

South Fork of the Boise below Anderson Ranch Dam.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  5. MountainR

MountainR New Member

First Post here!

Sun Valley was my stomping ground for the last 9 years before moving back to WA. Your son is smart to bring his Fly Rod. There's a lot of water within a couple hours of Boise.

S. Fork of the Boise is good and is within an hour drive. Could be a little off with the big wildfire that destroyed the surrounding areas this summer...

Middle Fork of the Boise has some good water for a 4wt and some nice cutties.

If he wants to drive 2.5 hours to Sun Valley there's the Wood River which doesn't produce huge fish but lots of them. Then if he's up for a challenge there's the world famous Silver Creek. It's a spring creek teaming with hogs. But they're especially picky and have been fished hard all summer long.

PM me if you want more info.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  6. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

CLOSED due to the huge forest fire and potential landslides.

7. graenm

graenm New Member

Caught this wild bow 2 weeks ago upstream from the Maravia Factory (Cascade Outfitthers) swinging a little sculpin pattern...

I would pick an access spot in southeast Boise and go for some Browns, near Warm Springs Golf Course...some decent rainbows as well, or fish north of Chinden where this 17" bow was caught.
    Cheers and good luck
    image.jpg

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  8. graenm

graenm New Member

Or not...maybe tie on a frosty hopper and fish west near Star ; ) early a.m.
    I heard some lurker big brown reports!

9. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

Thanks, guys.