bonefishin' Virgin Islands.... help?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by sea, Aug 17, 2005.

1. sea

sea Member

Media:
    I'm setting up my buddy (rookie ffisher) for his trip to the British Virgin Islands. I don't know exactly where he'll be, but my keen instinks tell me he'll be near water. He wants to borrow a Rod & reel. Anyone got tips on rod & line size for bonefish? I'm thinking mid to heavy salt gear. 8 weight?.. any help, thanks :beer1: <= i like that guy

2. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Media:
    fast action 8 wt
    I have caught some bones out there but there werent a ton. I think Tortolla (maybe) was where i went. cant recal for sure. My aunt lives on St John and usually finds a few fish for me if they are around the islands.

3. Anil

Anil Active Member

Media:
    Agreed: Fast 8 weight, plus a good quality reel. The most overlooked piece of equipment is to buy or borrow a 'Bonefish' or 'Saltwater' taper line. I made the mistake of trying ot use a ‘coldwater’ formula line on my first bonefish trip. You will be amazed at the performance difference in hot weather.
    As far as the fishing goes, a friend of mine fished Anegada earlier this year. He has fished in quite a few other bonefish locations and had very good things to say about it.
    Anil
    www.pugetsoundflyco.com

4. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Media:
    iagree fast 8wt, good quality reel, and especially about warm water line. Have your buddy practice quick draw presentations: get it down to 2 back casts and shoot line out. Practice in the wind, stronger the better. He really needs to line up a good guide ahead of time before he tries DIY; the best are booked well in advance.

My next time (November) I am bringing a travel casting basket. Keeps it from blowing off the deck and out from under the boat, or out of the mangrove shoots, surf, etc. Line management in lots of wind is critical. Your guide will get pissy with you if he puts you on a 8 lb fish and you let loose with a 60 foot cast that stops at 30' because of tangles. As I recall the words to me were "you bloody well buggered that one up, eh?" The guides want bragging rights when they get back in; their reputation is their livelihood.

5. 2 Much Fishin

2 Much Fishin New Member

All of the above advice is right on...make sure he practices casting!

I purchased an 8 or 9 weight Rio bonefish line when I took a trip out to the Grenadines just in case there were fish there. Unfortunately there were no fish swimming those waters so I did not even cast the line.

If your buddy needs to buy a new line, I can sell him mine for cheaper than he could buy a new one.

Just PM me if interested.

Jed