Book Review: Magical Fly Fishing for Majestic Steelhead!

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Zen Piscator, Jan 31, 2006.

1. PT

PT Physhicist

I don't see that anyone here hates the guy. Just musing about some character from the past.

Silverfly, you've repeatedly made your point here. Now if you really want to contribute to this forum I'd like to know.

HOW'S THE CLACK FISHING?

I'll be down that way in a couple weeks and want to float one of Oregon's finer steelhead rivers. Any local knowledge you could throw our/my way?:thumb:
    I have a couple pontoons if you'd like to join me.

Dave

2. SilverFly

SilverFly Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    P.T.

Yeah I know, I'm way past the "dead horse" zone :rolleyes: .

No info of interest down south as most of the rivers are blown. Haven't been fishing since October :( (might explain why I've got my panties in a bunch).

There are sporadic reports of hatchery steelhead being caught in the Sandy. If the rain ever stops there should be some good fishing for these wild broodstock fish now through May.

Gimme a heads up before you come down. :beer2:

3. PT

PT Physhicist

Silverfly, thanks. Will do.:thumb:

4. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

Media:
    "any press is good press" Ol clay should be laughing cause the shear entertainment of this is bound to sell a few copies. Well, Whatever. I used to work for one of the largest publishers in all the land, and writing a book about anything that is so small of an audience will ever care about, as flyfishing, is about as easy as it gets. I could write a book, you could write a book, doesn't mean crap. People need to chill, this is the internet afterall, NOT sunday school, I except it to be a little tongue in cheek. I like that, its fun, if you can't take it, i don't know what to tell ya.

My only real comment about the book, the title. What the F? I thought little chewy zen was yanking us, but no, I went to Amazon and its for real.

And nice review ya little monkey spanker, had me rollin.:thumb:

YT:cool:

5. Gabriel Burgi

Gabriel Burgi doesn't live in WA anymore :(

Media:
    C'mon guys, is it really about Clay anymore? Is it really about the book review anymore? I only keep coming back to this thread to read everyone else's criticisms of eachother and the quickdraw wit that you all have. I could care less what the undertones of this thread are. We've got some good debaters on this WFF team, and every once in a while, you (we) all get to exercise your (our) right to rant and bust on others. It's all really in good fun. I say keep it goin. Even if it is a huge NFR thread by now, it's keeping me entertained!!

- Gabe:beer1:

6. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    Hey Silverfly,

Our rivers pretty much suck up here too. Actually made it out once between floods last week. I've been up crusing the Skykomish waiting for clearing, but it just aint happening. Thinking ahead to a little farther down the road. Really want to make it to the Sandy River Spey Clave. The Woodstock of Spey casting. You think the rain will stop by then?

7. SilverFly

SilverFly Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sure hope so. Clave time on the Sandy has the opportunity for late winters, early summers, and springers. The latter take flies well and there are some real bruisers in the river so it's a good time for the 10wt. Let's keep our fingers crossed for some drier weather. Some of us need to get out and fish BAD ;) .

8. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    Dude, I've got family down in the part of the world. Do you want to meet at sometime to do a bit of fishing on the Sandy? I've been pretty interested in that river as it's so close to the urban areas of Portland and stuff :)

As for drier weather, we are getting DUMPED on right now. I think the wind is going at like 35 MPH here in Tacoma, so it's not nice out...

-- Cheers
    -- James

9. SilverFly

SilverFly Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sounds like a plan James. Anytime you want to come down I'd be glad to fish with you, or if I can't, at least point you to a couple of spots I know and hopefully get you into a fish. That offer also goes for anyone on WFF.

As for the course this thread has taken, I would like to take some time and do a bit of damage control. Not only for my sake, but also for WFF, and especially Clay.

First I would like to apologize to everyone on WFF (especially Zen), and Clay (whether he reads this or not) for losing my cool and taking my frustrations out on you guys. I've put away my "super-hero" cape (the powder-blue one with pink hearts and teddy bears :rolleyes:) and I am done with this debate.

While I am NOT trying to get in the last word, I do think some background on my motivations for defending Clay are in order.

I have met Clay once, and while he is an extremely nice person, I can see how he might rub some the wrong way. Out of respect for him, I cannot go into specifics as to why I feel it is wrong to target him as he has been, but I am confident that most (if not all) of you would agree if my perceptions are correct.

If anyone wants to discuss this further, I would prefer to handle it through PM's.

Thanks.