Books on Training a Bird Dog

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Mr.E, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Mr.E

Mr.E He called me an Elitist ?? LOL ..what a moron

Hey Gents,

I have a couple of 7month old Black Lab /Chow mix. I would like to start training to be bird dogs.

Can you guys give me any recommendations on Good training books.

2. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    Interesting combination of breeds. Just to play the role of devils' advocate, have you determined that the pups have a birdy sense about them? I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't pursue training them for bird work- they may turn out to be awesome. But not even all Labs have any hunting instinct left in them, and with the Chow blood in there, you just want to make sure they have a desire/interest in order to proceed to field training. I hope they do. Got any photos of them? Black tongues or no?

3. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

Media:
    If your dog will retrieve, you can make him a bird dog! I recommend "The 10 Minute Retriever" by John and Amy Dahl. It's very intuitive and easy to follow. The Smartworks series and Fowl dogs DVD's are also excellent references.

And my recommendation on books not to read: Anything by Richard Wolters (Water Dog or Game Dog). They methods are outdated and poorly laid out.

4. Mr.E

Mr.E He called me an Elitist ?? LOL ..what a moron

Birdy sence? Yes one of them does, I think he would make more of a game bird then a water fowl retriever. He has a good sniffer. While he was younger, I would watch him stalk birds and squirrels in the back yard.

His tongue is not black like a chow but has only one spot on it. The other one I am not to sure about yet.

Yes they bought love to play fetch with anything I throw and they do bring it back to hand. The pup I want to train is "Tubs"
    ( I don't understand where my daughter came up with that but at least he responds to it.)

Tubs has a very good demeanor about him. Not very hyper and follows basic commands.

My other pup ( Yeager ) well let's say he is very, very playfull and full of energy. I joke to my son that he needs to drag a 50lb block of concrete when he walks him. My son is 6'2" and weighs 200lbs. He would make a good sled dog.

Thanks for the book advise and I will have to get them. If one of them can pick up a few tricks then maybe the next step would be a trainer?

5. martyg

martyg Active Member

You're probably about 6 months too late.

It would be good for you to start with this dog, get a bunch of errors out of the way, and then get into a puppy who's parents have credentials.

I have been training my dogs for about 35 years. All have at least attained NAHRA MHR, or similar. I find that the better the clay, the better the finished product.

6. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

Media:
    Most dogs can successfully be trained by their owner. Unless you're looking for perfection, have money to burn (and not much time to devote to your dogs), than a pro isn't necessary.

Like others have said, breeding does count. But since you have the dogs already in hand- why not try? The best pheasant dog I've ever hunted over was a mutt. He could have been part spaniel, but no one knew for sure.

7. Chet L

Chet L New Member

I have no idea what Chow genes will do to the hunting instincts of a Lab. I've trained four dogs to hunt with me. Two were Labs , one was a Chesapeake and one was a Golden. My sole source of training info came from James Lamb Free's book, "Training Your Retriever". All four dogs were great and well respected by my hunting partners. Blood counts too. One of my Labs (Settlers Maxmillian Black) (Max) was phenominal, as was his sire (Jed Black)