Books

Discussion in 'Arts and Literature' started by Big E, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

A while back I collected some public domain books on fishing, flytying and flyfishing. Some of these are quite old, some are just fun to look at the fly plates. In any event, I offer them up for you to have a look at.

http://www.flytier.com/books

Enjoy!

Mark Mercer, GAT and Josh Smestad like this.
  2. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

Nice. Thanks for putting all these in one spot!

3. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Thanks Big E

4. GAT

GAT Active Member

I just noticed the post, thanks B-E!

5. Bradley Miller

Bradley Miller Dances with fish

Very cool. Bookmarked. Thank you.

6. Kenneth Yong

Kenneth Yong Member

Thanks, Big E, very nice of you to share your links!

Happy 2013,
    Kenneth

7. S Fontinalis

S Fontinalis Active Member

have most of these saved as pdfs, also acquired a few originals....
    Top of my list is Tolfrey First edition, but you'd need a small mortgage to buy one in decent condition

First edition Hardy (1907)
    [​IMG]

c1910 Maxwell - Salmon and Sea Trout
    [​IMG]

1920 (First US Edition) Francis Francis
    [​IMG]

1865 4th Edition Ephemera
    [​IMG]

Richard Torres likes this.
  8. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

9. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

Interesting tidbit now that you bring it up Eunan. The 'Art of Flymaking' by Blacker that I have posted was recently sold at auction and is touted as being the most expensive book on fishing as it sold for £187,250. In comparison, first edition of Thomas Barker’s 'The Art of Angling' made £61,250.

I have a couple works by Schmookler that I am very cautious with when reading and storing but I imagine you would pull out the white gloves for either of the two above.

10. S Fontinalis

THey're actually in surprisingly good condition. No gloves yet, but i usually get my patterns from more modern books, and if i have to refer back to the oldies....

the only one i paid over $50 for was the Hardy....

11. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

Excellent links guys, thanks for sharing Big E and Eunan!

12. GAT

GAT Active Member

While on the subject of flyfishing books, I recommend this "cartoon book" to anyone who wishes to take up the sport of flyfishing. It covers everything you need to know as a beginner so is both humorous and informative.

The Curtis Creek Manifesto.
    [​IMG]

At one time, it was the number one seller for years and years at Amato Publications. Too bad Sheridan died shortly after the book became a hit.

13. Bradley Miller

Oh great: another fly fishing related addiction.
    Books were already a problem area for me; now FLYFISHING books?
    PSFC got another $200 from me today; maybe they should start a flyshop/bookshop?
    (I'm very happy with the deals I got: a mini fly tying lesson, a great deal on a pair of boots, and some new tools....thanks, Anil!..)
    :)

14. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

You would be surprised at what you can find at any old used book store or antique store.

My most interesting recent find is a 1953 book entitled How to Fish The Pacific Coast, that spends a great amount of the book speaking to the Anglers stake in the future and the pacific northwest fisheries and overfishing\wasteful fishing.

15. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Great book.

16. Bradley Miller

That was easy. One click order from Amazon. Done.
    :)

17. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Thanks Big E, Great..... now I'll be reading instead of tying, probably a good thing. I remember checking out The Complete Angler from the public library many years ago and actually read the whole thing, wasn't easy, as I recall!

Eunan, nice !!!! I really need to get a few more books, I only have Classic Salmon Flies be Mikael Frodin, not the best book, but has a good number of patterns.

18. The "Pacific Coast" book--is it a Sunset book by Ray Cannon? If so, I have it too, but a 1976 ed., tenth printing paperback. I too occasionally peruse the Sporting sections in used book stores and pick up cheap stuff. Still waiting to find those Haig-Browns.

19. S Fontinalis

Frodin is good, only for the patterns. I'm not a fan of the flies in it, and quickly sold mine when i got the new Mike Radencich book with 1700 patterns. Though some of the pics are very modern interpretations of the flies (big hooks, married wings, vs small hooks, mixed wings as intended in the original literature) the quality and quantity of patterns i worth the $50 on amazon!!

Of course, its hard to beat the originals, which can be downloaded for free...some blogs ;) even have links to most of the texts!!!

20. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

That is the one, this one is a first edition i found in an antique shop in Oregon for 2 or 3 bucks. I have also found in the used book stores if you go to the science sections sometimes the fishing books get stuffed in there. I found a couple of books on Nymphing from the 80s that way.

KC