Booty Shaking Damsels

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by silver, Mar 16, 2005.

1. silver

silver south paw

Media:
    I came across a hareline promo somehow about a month ago and a full page was devoted to a new product called the "Magic Head". This "Magic Head" has the appearance of a tiny clear plastic funnel. In the literature it claimed to be an alternative to epoxy for streamer heads when folded back over the head of the fly, but when the cone is folded forward (over the eye of the hook) it is said to impart a side to side swimming motion in the fly. With damsel season quickly approaching I've found myself revisting this ad and with dreams of booty shaking damsels in my head, finally decided to try this product. Unfortunately I have looked in every fly shop in the greater seattle area an none carry said item, but would gladly order it. My question then has anyone out there tried or had any experience with the Magic Head?? Does it work?? For a better description check out Hareline.com they have pics and a little instructional what not.

thanks all

2. Jeremy Husby

Jeremy Husby Is there a Vahalla for fishermen?

Media:
    Home Page:
    Yeah they work, I used to use a WiggleFin which is pretty much the same thing. But I tired a experiement. Same fly, one w/ and one w/o. My wife is a better fishermen then me and we both limited within half hour. The do make the fly swing back and forth but the productivity was not improved. Since then I stopped using them when trolling. I would use the Magic Heads maybe for salt water but not for freshwater fishing, maybee big salmon streamers. Hope that helped

3. Willie Bodger

Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Media:
    I saw them either at The Avid Angler or the Orvis shop in Bellevue. I'm pretty sure it was at The Avid Angler.

4. silver

silver south paw

Media:
    thanks guys- this is my first post being a new member and all- your responses are much appreciated. It would appear then that this product has more of a large streamer type application. hareline claims to have heads down to size 18. Is the motion diminished as the cones becomes smaller?? Anyhow I'll run back up to avid and have a look-see and if they have em i'll let you know how they work.

p.s. hit the upper yak today, hooked two lost two, cold and rainey. the fish seem more sparce but larger on average up higher on the river

5. Don Johnson

Don Johnson Duke of Furl

If you want movement out of a fly, go to JoAnn's Fabrics (or similar) and buy some sequins. They come in different colors and sizes and all you need to do is slip one on the tippet before you tie your fly on.

6. Frogpoop

Frogpoop New Member

sequins are da bomb use them here in Michigan for a while, they havent cought on much tho and thats a good thing I guess

7. silver

silver south paw

Media:
    sweet... sequins on the tippet. sounds like ill be tossing disco damsels this spring.

thanks for the tips

8. QFBT

QFBT Member

Silver,
    I was wondering if you could give an update on how the Marc Petitjean Magic Head's worked out for you? I have been curious about trying them myself.

9. silver

silver south paw

Media:
    I put in an order for them and they were on back order so I ended up canceling the order. I have however tried the sequin thing and have had mixed results/ there is a little movement in the standard sequin but the first kind I tried didn't seem ridgid enough to really hold there shape and displace enough water to create that twitch. I've been busy selling and looking for a new place to live and haven't had a chance to go get different sequins but have found that they sell a stiffer/thicker cupped sequin that may be perfect for this application. I just need to go and get them.

ps: the thinner sequins tend to come off :confused: not really sure why but am guessing that the tippet somehow was cutting through the sequin during the casting motion as the sequin is free to slide.

-still experimenting

10. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    It seems like I've read a review in a magazine of the Pettijean heads, and I believe the outcome was/is that it's more concept and hype than what it's worth.

11. silver

silver south paw

Media:
    :ray1: after extensive trial and error with sequins (large ones, small ones, stiff, flexible...etc) I can say that the benefit is non existent as far as fish catching goes. I have yet to hook a fish on a sequin. If the sequin's diameter is not great enough ( dime sized for sz 12 wb) you get absolutely zero displacement equalling zero movement. If you do use a larger sequin you get more of a dive-plane type action than a wiggle and casting especially with any sort of wind is very troublesome. Long story short find the right depth/speed and color because there is no magical booty shaking method that I can find. I dont think the magic head will be any different as the cone will just cause drag like the larger sequin and some of the sequins I used were slightly convex and this didn't result in any shakin.

good luck