Boston Marathon bombing

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Steve Knapp, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Media:
    If anybody hasn't heard, no casualty totals yet, sounds like it was an IED. I know many guys on the forum are Boston transplants like me and may have had family running or attending the race. Cell phones were jammed up for a while but I got through without much trouble.

2. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

NFR. It isn't good. At this point they are reporting 2 are dead and over 20 are injured, some seriously. Another nut case is on the loose.

3. Travis Bille

Travis Bille Active Member

Media:
    it sounds like they rounded someone up and are holding him. What a tragedy.

I hate to sound insensitive and make this political, but it goes to show that you don't need guns to kill people. This whole thing is a shame.

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  4. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

Yeah, I was gonna hit the beach this afternoon but after hearing this report on the radio on my way home from the store I've been glued to the TV.

There's a current report there was a subsequent explosion at Boston's JFK library but thankfully no injuries.

Kinda makes you think about all the places around the world where these reports occur daily, doesn't it?

Prayers to all the victims and their families!

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  5. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Yes, prayers to all.

6. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

Millions of Boston area citizens have traditionally lined the running course to show their support for Patriots Day and runners. As a past participant it is sad that the legendary Boston marathon has been marred by such a senseless tragedy. My prayers go out to the victims, their families, and the Boston cummunity.

Roger

7. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Tragic. And now there's another nutcase to hunt down. Hope they find him/them soon.

8. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Prayers sent.

9. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I still await word from a few friends of family that were supposed to be in that area today.

10. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Ed, my best wishes that they are okay.

11. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Whackjobs, the world has always had them but they become more and more embolden every time an event like this is not answered with serious consequences to those responsible. I'm actually surprised we have not seen more of these acts.

12. Jase

Jase Member

Media:
    When the tragedy in Boston shook my belief in my fellow man, those running toward the tragedy, to help, restored it. Thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected in Boston.

13. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Media:
    I just got off the phone with my sister who lives in the Boston suburbs. Her husband, my brother-in-law, was about 75 feet from one of the explosions. He is a faculty member in the sport medicine department at Boston University and he, several colleagues, and students were in the MASH-like tents that are used to help the marathoners recover after they cross the finishing line of the race. They have done this for many years. This year, scarily, he described the scene as MASH-like with many very traumatic injuries. What had been a positive, low-key assistance project turned into life and death in an instant. It will not be easy to erase those memories.

Steve

14. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

While I was disagreeing with Alex MacDonald for his hard-ass attitude toward the Lake Lenore poachers in that thread, I truly believe there's absolute evil rampant in this world and this Boston bombing incident, IMHO, is evidence of that scourge on our existence.

I would have no problem with removing from this world the perps who caused this carnage on these innocent people!

15. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Media:
    WHAT????? People not be held resposible for "events like this"; What rabbit hole have you been in? That is about the most uninformed emotion grabbing statement that I have read in regareds to terrorism.
    Since 9/11 neary every one involved in that event has been captured/incarcerated/or killed, the Al quida movement has been disrupted harrassed and emasculated. The people inviolved in the NY subway attacks, the Cole, the shoe bomber and on and on have been caught and are being tried.
    Almost every day there is some law enforcement agency local state or federal that has ferreted out a potential terrorism plot and those involved are hunted down and dealt with.
    You watch they will find whoever is responsible for this attack and he/they will pay the consequences for it.
    Freestoneangler do us a favor and actually read what your fingers type, because they are obviously not connected to your brain, before you hit the send button it might actually spare us from reading some of this drivel.
    jesse

cabezon likes this.
  16. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    So, even the white house says it's a terrorist attack. Maybe the problem some of you have with Freestone Angler is that he really doesn't explain his thinking on some of what he says. Allow me to take this a little further. He says they haven't been visited by serious consequences for their acts, and I'd say that the "serious consequences" would mean eradication of ALL connected with the act. Works for me.

America is, and I'm sure Ed would agree here, with the exception of military and nuclear installations, a really soft target. Compare this with the photo I saw the other day of an Israeli teacher, shepherding her grade-school charges while on a field trip. The teacher was obviously pregnant, and sporting an M-1 Carbine with a 30 round mag slung over her shoulder. And she knows which end goes "bang", I'd bet.

B.Willis likes this.
  17. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Media:
    Alex you don't need to explain FSA's comments nor assume you know why I have an issue with them.
    The facts show that the authorities in this country have done a damn good job of holding accountable those who commit these acts AND should commended for keeping us as safe as humanly possible in this screwed-up world today.

18. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

The FBI has uncovered many, many bomb plots and stopped them before they have taken place. One was in Portland. It was a matter of time before they missed one.

Considering the increase in drone attacks to take out those who wish to do us harm, I can't say that the fanatics are getting away scott free.

I don't think any of us want to live under marshal law "for our own safety". I believe Homeland Security and the agencies under their control are doing the best they can to contain the wing-nuts who want to kill us. I'd just as soon it didn't get to a point that we all need to walk around with a M-1 Carbine. The bombers have a poor track record in regards to getting away with their attacks. They'll find those responsible.

It really wouldn't surprise me if it was a "home grown" bomber like McVeigh who is behind the attack.

Alex MacDonald and jessejames like this.
  19. The Dude

The Dude Member

I wish I had words, to convey how I feel.

20. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    I remember watching on the sidelines of the Boston marathon and it was either the Waco siege or the Murrah bombing had just occurred. Patriot's day attack, in Boston, makes me think domestic....

Steve a big thanks to you brother in law and his team....