Boston, Mass

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by yellowlab03, Aug 1, 2014.

1. yellowlab03

yellowlab03 Active Member

Shot in the dark here, but does anyone know of any fly fishing within an hour or two, maybe three of the Boston, Mass area? I will be there for two weeks in September and am wondering if I should be packing rods and if so which ones. Thanks in advance...

By the way, Eastern NC is fly tying purgatory. No viable shops anywhere around here, that or I am just super spoiled from having PSFC within 10 minutes of my work back home.

Bob Triggs likes this.
  2. Jerry White

Jerry White Member

Striped bass... or "Stripas"
    I hear they are really fun on a fly rod... I was back there two years ago and they have several forums just like WFF and the guys on there were really helpful. I never caught one but had a short strike near my feet (spinning rod) by a fish that looked like it was 3 feet long... just about had to change my shorts!
    Good luck!

3. Steve Slater

Steve Slater Member

My first choice would be saltwater fishing. Stripers are in prime season now, but should still be good in September. Also, false albacore. My favorite area is Woods Hole, but there's great fishing from Rhode Island to Maine. I highly recommend that you hire a guide. You can fish from shore in a number of places, but it takes a while to learn the game if you haven't done it much. A reputable guide with a boat will know where the fish are, and will keep you on them. Take an 8 or 9 wt with both floating and sinking lines.

If you want to fish for trout, there are many small streams and decent rivers within a couple hours drive. Of course, some are more popular than others, and the larger streams closer to Boston get the most pressure. Personally, I like the Westfield, Deerfield, and Millers Rivers, but there are tons of other options, including lots of brook trout streams. I have actually caught big brook trout within 20 miles of Boston (I lived there for a number of years). The Swift River is relatively close to Boston, but I'm not particularly enamored of it. No guide needed for trout, but of course hiring one will help out anyone new to the area. Check out these sites for more info.

http://www.gameandfishmag.com/fishing/fishing_trout-fishing_ng_040502/

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/df...fe-watching/fishing/trout-stocked-waters.html

One other option is the Farmington rive in Connecticut, but that's a further drive and gets hammered pretty hard, especially on the weekends.

Finally, if you do fish tailwaters in western Mass (esp. the Deerfield), be sure that you keep an eye on the water level. The dams change release rates without warning, and it's possible to get trapped on the wrong side of the river if you aren't careful. Talk to some locals on the river if you have questions.

PM me if you want more info.

Steve

Kyle Smith likes this.
  4. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Was about to steer you to the Boston Orvis, but see now that they closed. Pity.
    I've never fished the East Coast but the Striped Bass fishing has interested me. Would like to see your report.

5. yellowlab03

yellowlab03 Active Member

Thanks for the info!

6. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

That's too bad about the Boston Orvis. It was a nice little shop in a very cool shopping center.

7. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:

Look up the great saltwater master up there- Juro Mukai.
    Cape Flyfisher, in Chatham Mass, (Cape Cod).
    http://capeflyfisher.com

8. OneMoreCast

OneMoreCast Member

Media:
    I used to work in Boston and make semi-regular trips after work to northern canal. September is a prime time to find migrating bunker in that area, which migrate close to shore and can get trapped to create some great fly fishing for stripers and bluefish. If you aren't hiring a guide, the canal can be a good bet but overhand casting is challenging. If you don't mind crossing the bridge, PM me and I can steer you in the right direction.

Heading in the general direction of cape code on a Friday or around a holiday weekend is a really bad idea unless you leave in the middle of the night, which is typically when the best fishing occurs anyway.

Have fun!

Joe

9. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

Bluefish are some of the most aggressive, predatory, savage striking fish out there. It's an experience when you get into them - even the small ones.
    If you have the chance to get out and fish for them while you're there, do it.
    Note; don't get your fingers anywhere near their teeth...

I've also found a couple nice little brookie streams down in Rhode Island. It's amazing that you can come across some really quiet places away from people in that neck of the woods.
    There are also searun brookies in some areas not far from where you'll be.

10. Nogz

Nogz New Member

I'm heading to Martha's Vineyard this week and will be looking for bonitos. Unfortunately a more than a day trip from Boston.

11. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

Media:
    There is plenty of good trout fishing within 3 hours if you aren't in the mood for some of the best saltwater action in the country. The Farmington (CT), Deerfield, and Swift rivers are all tailwaters if the weather is hot. The Farmington is the only one I've fished, and it is completely badass for an East Coast trout fishery. There is also a massive number of small streams full of native brookies in New England. If you are into classic small stream fishing, bring a good atlas, a 3wt, some dry flies and you will fall in love.

Also, this has been a relatively cool summer out there (thanks polar vortex monster!), so the trout should be doing well.

EDIT: And everything Steve Slater said lol.

12. Steve Slater

Steve Slater Member

Definitely agree, and should have mentioned them. But make sure you have some wire leaders and pliers to remove the hooks. The will hit almost anything and fight like crazy. If you find stripers, you should also find blues.

13. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

Must be some streams in the Berkshires that have trout.

14. kmac

kmac Active Member

There are places to fish within 2 hours north and west of Boston, but the trouble is getting out of Boston within that time frame. The traffic was terrible when I lived there in the 80's. I'm sure it's only gotten worse.

15. kmudgn

kmudgn Member

16. 13.robb

13.robb New Member

I just want to say thanks to everyone in this thread for all of the awesome info. I'm moving to Boston tomorrow, and I definately shed a few tears after releasing my last Skykomish fish today. I did stumble across this forum, which was helpful to me. http://www.stripersonline.com/t/598813/fly-fishing-around-boston-ma I hope there's some usable stuff in there for you. My girlfriend came through with a brilliant new salt setup for my birthday, but I'm sure going to miss the days on the Skykomish tribs. I'd love to share whatever local knowledge I accumulate with travelling PNWers out there, so PM me if you're wanting to fish Boston/Cambridge in the future.

Bob Triggs likes this.
  17. Bob Triggs

Media:
    Home Page:
    Also see: www.stripermoon.com and www.jackgartside.com You will be getting there on the cusp of the fall Striped Bass run down the New England coast. Which, depending upon weather, can run into November. Autumn in New England is grand.

13.robb likes this.
  18. Bob Triggs

Media:
    Home Page:
    The late Jack Gartside used to fish Boston Harbor on a regular basis. Look him up on his old website, there is alot of good stuff there: www.jackgartside.com And Kenny Abrahams is still holding court not far from Boston, and the information is contemporary: www.stripermoon.com

13.robb likes this.
  19. brat

brat Member

Might check with Brian Bennett (Moldy Chum blog)--he's from there and fishes the area annually.

20. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    Blacks creek into Boston Harbor in October on a rainy night can be killer for school striped bass. Jamaica pond has bass. They throw broodstock atlantics in there too on occasion. There's pickeral in the brookline reservoir off of route 9, the charles is under-explored, you can catch stripers out off the surf in Nantasket if you follow the birds in October. A kayak would open up a ton of water in the Scituate and Cape Ann shorelines which are spectacular from a boat and really hard to see otherwise. Plum Island region can be a blast for blues and stripers. Merrimac Shad in April- can't say enough about this- don't miss the chance to fish Lowell's downtown right in the historical park for shad, it's a hoot

Steve Slater and Bob Triggs like this.