Bottom Fishing w/Fly Gear

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by pfournier, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Saltman

Saltman "Just Fish!"

Media:
    Home Page:
  2. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

:thumb:I'll remember that the next time we go out.

QUOTE=pfournier;711615]Steve, no need to cast. Just pay out![/QUOTE]

3. pfournier

pfournier Do it outside!

I'll remember to duck next time we both go out :) Buddy!

4. a_fors

a_fors Active Member

True statement there! Everyone that things a bead headed bugger hurts doesn't understand...

5. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I was fishing in Mexico a few years back with a heavy line and weighted fly. Clipped my rod with the fly because of poor technique. On the next cast, the tip followed the fly out into the water. Broken rod; no back-up in a 10 wt. Same trip, I stuck a fly in my back because I didn't have the proper technique for casting a heavy fly with a sinking line. It taught me the virtues of casting more carefully.

6. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
    if fishing from a boat with heavy heads a simple solution is to water load your back cast. works like a charm and no need to duck or worry about getting hit with the fly.

7. lives2bwild

lives2bwild Member

Media:
    by the way kayaks are kelp bed fishing mashines, so stealthy ive sight fished blacks less then 2 feet from the kayak, now that is exiting

8. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Good to know. I'm almost finished rigging my Tarpon 140 with a sonar/gps. I still haven't gotten around to building my shooting head system for my 6wt and 8 wt (mainly because I've been too busy with other projects, and also because I've been thinking too hard about how I'm going to butcher my T-14 into a convertible shooting head that I can lengthen or shorten, depending on whether I am using it with my 6 wt or 8 wt). I'm still on a low budget. Otherwise I'd get some T-11 so that I could make a head longer than 20 feet for my 6 wt. With the 20' section looped on both ends, though, I will be able to loop on either a 4' or 6' section for my 8 wt. I'm still going cheap with the Amnesia running line, but if I don't like that, I might spring for an Airflo ridge running line.

I plan to fish out along the jetties here more this spring and summer. Mainly the South Jetty and outside the Harbor entrance over the sunken jetty.

9. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
    yep, no need to worry about lower units or hanging up in heavy kelp. they are the perfect fishing vessels for accessing fish deep within kelp beds. looking forward to late spring trips out to neah bay for rockfish and lingcod.

10. Saltman

Saltman "Just Fish!"

Media:
    Home Page:
    "Chuck and duck!" it ain't pretty, but it works :)

11. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

Fly Club 80 miles from me on the CA coast catch Halibut in less than 15' of water in Summer. I missed the BBQ last year, will not miss it this year. They use floating or clear intermediate lines. 15# halibut is fun on a 7 weight.

12. lives2bwild

lives2bwild Member

Media:
    chris if you see some skin boat toatin fly fisherman out at neah please come have a beer with us a snow creek

13. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

Looks like just about everything has been covered, all I can offer is more opinion on the same comments
    Excellent point and do it all the time
    I don't like fly fishing from kayaks and much prefer an inflatable boat. To me they slide over the kelp just as easily but the casting / spotting from a standing up position is so much better
    Valid point at slack tide but as soon as there's a little current I think the weighted fly is needed to get down and stay down.
    Agree on the currents and I'm in love with my drift socks: knowing how to use one of those things is probably way more important than fly choice IMHO.

14. JTJ

JTJ Wishing I was Fishing

Sorry for the ignorance, but can somebody explain "water load your back cast".

15. Jim Mcallister

Jim Mcallister AKA stillwater guy

On your back cast let your line settle into the water pull in the slack and cast forward do it before the fly/line sinks or you will be doing a lot of head rubbing or hook extraction.But it works really well to gather control back on a sloppy cast or hucking into a good wind.At least thats why when I use it.

16. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

I would say somewhere between just touching the tip of the line and just barely letting the line settle is optimal. The extra force required to pull the line from the water stores more energy in the rod and if you get the timing right you get more distance on the forward cast. Watch for kelp behind you before you try it though! :)

Actually I have one new point to add: IMHO I feel that a smaller hook like a #1 or smaller will rip through kelp stalk snags without breaking say 15lb tippet while a #2/0 grabs more kelp meat and is more likely to break off than rip out. Unless you're expecting something huge a #1 should be able to hold anything you're likely to hook.

17. 2kayaker

2kayaker Member

What lb test loads an 8wt at 35 feet ?TEl-A DEpth comes in 15-50lb test. Thanks for your help.

18. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

I think they're probably all about 11 grains per foot. The heavier weights usually just have a thicker casing over the lead core so they actually have less density and sink slower. Leadcore is ugly to use though and as along as you don't let the line sink with too much slack and use appropriate tippet strength somewhere in your leader you should very rarely lose a head. T-20 is just over a dollar a foot in short lengths and you only need 15ish feet to load an 8 weight so you're only risking $20.

Some leadcore info:
    http://ludingtonsalmonfishing.com/fishingtips/leadcore.html

19. South Sound

South Sound Member

I hooked into a few monster sea cucumbers a few times. They put up quite a fight. I think I am going to mix is up and try some shark (dogfish) patterns with scent. We will see how it goes with a wire bite guard.

20. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

Someone mentioned the multicolor lead core, I still have a lot of it but it isn't as good as the Courtland LC-13. I've tried the new tungsten lines but agree with the previous contributor, they are too fat and don't sink as quickly. Some one mentioned that current is not a problem because you are drifting with the boat....that does'nt work if you are trying to stay on a hot spot or if the wind is going against the current. I find it is better to anchor and go for the slack tides.