Bottomfishing Closure

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Chris Bellows, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Fishing within the published regulations is the law that must be followed. Having an ethical disagreement with the regulations is one thing to take up with the WDFW machine and challenge them. Taking your ethical disagreement directly to someone for fishing and harvesting within the regulations is a fool's fight. You go by the annonymous screen name of Sea Run Fanatic, suggesting, perhaps, that you intentionally target these protected fish. A species that cannot be harvested, yet you believe it ethical to target them for pleasure? Personal opinions and lines can be blurred. Let's leave the regulation making up to those who are employed to do so, and take your shots at them to give them the influence you feel is ethically right. The more we fight with other anglers doing legal fishing/harvesting the more we prove that we are never going to get anything done right for fish sustainability until it is far too late.

For future reference, for those that might not know, there is the option of starting a conversation with someone where you can advise them of your ethical beliefs without making it a public issue. For the record, I've never harvested a single rock fish, but if legal to do so I would within the legal limits and to the extent that my family can effectively use what has been harvested...before it gets freezer burn.

2. SeaRun Fanatic

SeaRun Fanatic Member

C'mon Ed... you've never respectfully taken issue with an individual legally "harvesting" a wild steelhead? How about a legal stringer full of wild rainbow or cutthroat? What's the difference? Second, why should a discussion of ethics be held in private? I've done no name-calling (unlike Jonathan), or bashing (hmmmm) just stated an opinion. Publishing a hero shot of 30 dead rockfish is inviting the discussion IMHO.

I know you don't like the fact that I post anonymously, and I get why. Nonetheless, if I initiate an ethical discussion with someone over their publicly posted actions I'm a fool?!? I doubt your response would be different if I posted under my real name. I'm sure there are plenty of hot-buttons that might prompt you to challenge someone about their legal choices, fishing-related or not, but does that make you a fool? Nope. Just a concerned citizen.

Also, yes, I catch and relase searun cutthroat (which, BTW, are legally "harvested" in fresh water), and no, I don't find it to be a problem ethically. And if someone posted that they CnR'ed 30 or 130 rockfish, I wouldn't have a problem there either. Though at 130 fish and a 5% mortality rate, that's 7 or 8 dead fish, so.... maybe I'd stop at 30 or 40! :)

Back on topic, there seems to be a significant proportion of folks (including yourself) that believe that WDFW's 10-fish limit might be excessive and I agree. Pretty simple really.

3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Agreed, 10 bottomfish limit, plus 2 cabezon and 2 lingcod is a heck of a haul for a day's work and I'm doubtful it is sustainable. It is legal though. I don't like wild steelhead retention, freshwater SRC retention and unless the wild population of trout is sustainable and legal, not a big fan of their retention either. I did not call you a fool. I did say that taking your ethical position against someone legally retaining fish is a fools fight. I hope that you can see the difference. Knowing the content of your posts here on WFF, I do not consider you a fool at all.

4. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    I don't know how many of these people have actually fished in the salt? We were close to our bottom fishing limit in about half an hour. There's a surprising number of them. They are a pain in the ass to filet into meat... that'll probably keep me from limiting again as it took about two hours.

It's a ton of fun to catch them though. I got into something massive that spooled the line and broke the end knot. That'll be haunting me for a decade. It was right before we saw a whale surface - and right before my buddy caught a duck. Who knows.

5. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

Are you saying a total of 14 bottomfish there? Could you check the regs again? I think it's only a total of 12 bottomfish allowed. :) Even 12 is still a big haul on a daily basis but if you only do it once a year it's not exactly plundering the seas...

So let's give them some feedback! Looks like the initial feedback period is closed

http://wdfw.wa.gov/news/apr2612a/

but if someone (Chris?) could post a topic with a link when the next comment period is available in September I will certainly provide input!

6. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Media:
    I personally only keep rock fish, ling cod, hatchery steelhead and hatchery salmon, I release all other fish. And I only keep rockfish and ling cod where it is legal to do so and there is an abundance of them. For instance I limit my self beyond the states limits by only keeping 4-6 lingcod out of Puget Sound a year from select locations. As far as the La Push rockfish thing. When one can easily catch and release 200 sea bass if so inclined without seeing another boat I don't feel bad about keeping my 10 sea bass especially when it only adds up to about 6 meals for the girl friend and I. However I do have a problem with the commercial trawlers and long liners who catch far more fish including the endangered yellow eye rock fish. Sorry for the name calling SeaRunFanatic I guess we can agree to disagree on certain issues. However, we do seem to agree that WDFW does not have a stellar track record and that there limits can not always be trusted as best for the fishery, like retention of wild steelhead for example.

7. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Media:
    I personally only keep rock fish, ling cod, hatchery steelhead and hatchery salmon, I release all other fish. And I only keep rockfish and ling cod where it is legal to do so and there is an abundance of them. For instance I limit my self beyond the states limits by only keeping 4-6 lingcod out of Puget Sound a year from select locations. As far as the La Push rockfish thing. When one can easily catch and release 200 sea bass if so inclined without seeing another boat I don't feel bad about keeping my 10 sea bass especially when it only adds up to about 6 meals for the girl friend and I. However I do have a problem with the commercial trawlers and long liners who catch far more fish including the endangered yellow eye rock fish. Sorry for the name calling SeaRunFanatic I guess we can agree to disagree on certain issues. However, we do seem to agree that WDFW does not have a stellar track record and that there limits can not always be trusted as best for the fishery, like retention of wild steelhead for example.

8. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
    yes, it is a 12 bottomfish limit in aggregate.

we keep talking about once a year as if that is the norm. my guess is that for every person that goes once a year there are many more that make multiple trips and we cannot forget that the state sets up seasons to heavily impact bottomfish.

take a look at the halibut seasons in area 3 and 4. it is open thursday and saturday only. what do you think all of the boats that come up to fish halibut on thursday and saturday do on friday and saturday? they fill up their boats bottomfishing. let's also not forget (back to the original topic) that prior to june 1 bottomfishing is open at all depths, so the halibut season set up not only impacts inshore rockfish but hammers yelloweye impacts. this is typical wdfw business as usual though. they do nothing to mitigate the impacts of closed and reduced fisheries on other open fisheries.

i'm fortunate though. i personally do not like rockfish that has been frozen so it is far easier for me to only keep 1-2 fish. i probably keep about 5 a year in multiple trips.

i remember when the state moved the rockfish limit in the strait to 6. the outcry was huge and i thought about the large numbers of rockfish on the surface in the spring that i no longer saw. what was sad is that my experiences was the same as the generation before who could remember the whole area between cape flattery and tatoosh alive with rockfish 30-50 years ago, which i never got to see. the shifting baseline syndrome is alive and well in our bottomfish fisheries.

9. Anil

Anil Active Member

Media:
    While I can't speak for others, I know I've fished for Rockfish quite a bit.
    There are still many Rockfish along our coast.
    However, I've been fishing Neah Bay since the early 1990's. In less than 20 years I have noticed a decline in both size and number of rockfish inside the Straits. I've also seen the rockfish limits and regulations tighten inside the Straits. If you've fished out there, you too have seen the numerous wheelbarrows full of bottomfish at the cleaning stations. Many Salmon and Halibut fishermen take advantage of these generous limits by fishing for Rockfish after they have retained their target species. These fisherman are there to retain as much 'meat' as possible and will gladly take the time to clean the 40-50 bottomfish that each boat will retain.
    After talking to enough 'old-timers' who tell me tales of epic Rockfish fishing within the Puget Sound, and the same generous limits, it doesn't take much to worry that what happened everywhere else, will happen on our Coast. Maybe just once, we could take a proactive approach to resource management and reduce limits before the populations are decimated?
    I agree with Chris. I'm not advocating a complete closure. But doesn't 10 Rockfish/person seem excessive?
    There was a time in the Northwest when we had an 'Inexhaustible' supply of trees and Salmon.

Jonathan Tachell and JesseCFowl like this.
  10. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    I think your post and the points made are wise and I'd agree to decreasing the limits.

Anil likes this.
  11. Anil

Anil Active Member

Media:
    Shouldn't we call each other names instead?

12. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    Don't tell me what to do asshole. ;)