Bought another blank...

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Michael Dunn, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Michael Dunn

Michael Dunn New Member

and I haven't even started with my first project yet other then starting to read Fly Rod Building Made Easy. Geez, I can see this is a sickness, probably without a cure.
    Off ebay I bought a new Sage z-Axis 7-13-6 Spey blank for $250.00.
    It seemed like a good deal.
    I think I need to build at least a couple before I tackle that.
    I'll be back. (to ask dumb questions I'm sure):cool:

2. LoonhauntDave

LoonhauntDave New Member

Media:
    Try one of Dan Crafts Five River Blanks. The price is right they are made right in Oregon. I have built two of them. Also Built One Sage V 2. I actually think the comparable Dan Craft, is more fun to fish with.

Dave

3. Michael Dunn

Michael Dunn New Member

Actually a Dan Craft Five Rivers will be my first build. I ordered a 10' 10 wt for my Alaska fishing and he sent a 9'er by mistake. The 10 'er is on it's way.

4. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    Ask away :) You may also want to take a look at www.rodbuilding.org...

As for general advice...

1) (I'll get flamed for this one!) Ignore the spine. Build on the straightest axis. It's easier to do, and does not affect performance in the least bit.

2) Practice your wraps and colors on the lower section of the blank (where the grip and reelseat will go) before you glue any components on. You can put wraps on and even epoxy them in place to learn the true color of your thread. Then when you are done, you simply remove them, and cover with the reelseat and grip. You don't have to worry bout potentially having a messy surface that will show; no fuss, no muss and gives you and exact match to practice on.

3) Get in touch with someone who has built a rod and sit in with them on the first build. All About the Fly and Greggs Custom rods are *excellent* resources and the money spent on a workshop will get you *far* more faster than you could learn on your own in weeks.

Have fun and welcome to the addiction.

-- Cheers
    -- James

5. Michael Dunn

Michael Dunn New Member

All great advice.
    Thanks!

6. Tyler Speir

Tyler Speir Artist

Media:
    Home Page:
    1) (I'll get flamed for this one!) Ignore the spine. Build on the straightest axis. It's easier to do, and does not affect performance in the least bit.

Im not going to flame you for this and everyone has their own ideas. There are lots of different theories about this topic, some blanks have a much harder spine then others. You can have 2 of the exact same blanks one with a really hard spine and the other extremely soft. If you are working on a blank with a really hard spine I would definitely put my guides on spine. If it is a weak spine I agree with James, and would use the straightest axis of the blank.

7. LoonhauntDave

LoonhauntDave New Member

Media:
    Spine or not to spine, Not to whine, but...

I bought a Sage VT 2 blank from Hook and Hackle a month or two ago, 4 WT moderate action really straight and all.

Sage marked the blank at the factory with little white dots at each joint. With most of the blanks I buy these marks are to be set up towards the fish. I always mic the blanks outer diameter and the wall thickness to make sure I have postively ID'd the spine. In the case of this Sage Blank the factory markings were to the opposite side of the blank from the obvious spine. Soooo... either this was a cruel trick, the label tech was having a bad day or, it really doesn't matter where they are marked just put the darned thing together and make sure it is straight. Unfortunately the Sage Brand label is now upside down right next to my cocobolo custom grip. Oh well I like it too much to sell.

One more thing I was building another Dan Craft Rod, and I was going through the measuring for the spine exercise, and was unable to find one. Frustrated I called Dan to get the what for, and He said that I was likely to not find a noticeable spine on his Sig V blanks. ( I sure couldn't) I know that it is the straightest best casting 4 wt rod I have ever put together. I like it more that the Sage...Who needs a spine, Dan Quayle did just fine with out one.

That's all I have to say about that...

8. Tyler Speir

Tyler Speir Artist

Media:
    Home Page:
    That a common problem with sage blanks. The dots they put on there blanks are never on spine, you should allways check it yourself.

9. LoonhauntDave

LoonhauntDave New Member

Media:
    You'ld think for the money they could do a better job. That's why I like Dan Craft's stuff. Made in the USA is good too.